Community

Maple

Welcome to the sixth edition of Paw Prints, a monthly column for animal lovers dedicated to helping shelter pets find their furever home!

Buddy

Meet Buddy

Mark Twain once said, “To get the full value of joy, you must have someone to divide it with.” Who better than your best Buddy? This affectionate, agreeable ten-year-old Terrier mix is the ideal one to share the day to day simple pleasures with, whether it be a stroll in the park or an impromptu gathering with friends. An active member of Little Shelter’s Silver Paw Connection, Buddy knows that you’re never too old to dream. At the top of his wish list is a forever home and a family to love. Life is always better with a Buddy by your side. 631-368-8770, ext. 21

Maple

Meet Maple

Dogs named Maple tend to be good-natured, loyal, affectionate, and loving … the perfect description for this three-year-old Terrier mix, currently up for adoption at Little Shelter in Huntington. The name also symbolizes balance, promise, and intelligence. Rescued from a hoarding situation, Maple is still a bit shy, though loves going for walks and receiving attention and pets. Ready for a happy new beginning, she’s putting on her best “adopt me” face, just waiting for you to say, “There she is, she’s the one!” Stop by Little Shelter today to meet Miss Maple and welcome her into your family. 631-368-8770, ext. 21

Journey

Meet Journey

This sweet and social senior arrived at the Brookhaven Animal Shelter after being picked up as a stray by an Animal Control Officer. Journey has found herself homeless, alone and looking for a second chance since no one has come in looking for her. She is hoping to meet her person soon and enjoy a good life. Journey loves belly rubs and likes to chew on a good bone. She walks very nicely on leash and likes to stroll and smell the roses. She will need to be the only pet in an adult only home. At 8-10 plus years young she should not be spending her days and nights in a kennel. Come meet her today! 631-451-6950.

Princeton

Meet Princeton

“Hi! My name is Princeton. I am a 2 and a half year old year old male American Bulldog Terrier Mix. I was rescued from a high kill shelter in Georgia, and although I am now safe at Kent Animal Shelter in Calverton, I am still nervous. I am a super sweet and a good boy; I’ve just been through a lot and need someone I can trust to take care of me and show me that life and people aren’t so scary.” 631-727-5731, ext. 1

Thor

Meet Thor

This sweetheart was recently abandoned in the Kent Animal Shelter parking lot with 2 other cats. Approximately 9 years old, Thor is a huge mush who craves affection, and has so much love to give! Come meet him today and see how fast he can charm you! 631-727-5731, ext. 1

Ultra

Meet Ultra

A two-year-old Boxer mix, this exceptional girl is Ultra. Looking for a family with high hopes, an even higher fence, and dog experience, she is ready to put her paw print on adoption papers and change her address to yours! While displaying a calm, dignified demeanor, she’s also quick-witted with a good sense of humor, guaranteed to bring a smile to your face. Curious about life and eager to explore the world around her, she’s the perfect one to accompany you on all your adventures. Intelligent and loyal, she has all the qualifications of a best friend and lifelong companion. Why go big when you can go Ultra? Stop by Little Shelter in Huntington to meet her today! 631-368-8770, ext. 21

Check out the next Paw Prints in the issue of July 14.

Paw Prints is generously sponsored by Mark T. Freeley, Esq.

State assemblywoman on Albany’s neglect of Long Island

Assemblywoman Jodi Giglio (R-Riverhead). Photo from Giglio's website

New York State Assemblywoman Jodi Giglio (R-Riverhead) has openly criticized the state government for neglecting Long Island communities.

In an interview earlier this week, she addressed the upcoming gubernatorial primary election, her efforts to reach out to colleagues across the political aisle, the backward state of public infrastructure on the Island and more.

What is your professional background and how did you end up in the state Assembly?

I started my own construction company in 1997. I went to Stony Brook [University] at night while working full time during the day. I started to become very active in the construction industry and in land use — we owned 146 acres in East Quogue. My company is a certified Women Business Enterprise and I’m also a member of [the International Union of Operating Engineers] Local 138.

At the time, the Southampton Town Board put us in a moratorium for 2 1/2 years and raised our property taxes from $80,000 to $400,000. I was present at every hearing for the moratorium, where we couldn’t file an application and basically couldn’t do anything with our property. I felt that my property rights had been violated and became very involved in the political spectrum.

I started the Riverhead Business Alliance, where I had 50 businesses pay $300 a year so that I could hire somebody to send out emails letting businesses know about zoning changes that would be detrimental to their businesses. I set up a board of directors — and I was the president and the founder — and we just let everyone know what was happening in local government. A couple of years later, the business community asked me to run for the Town Board, which I did. I served on the Riverhead Town Board [as councilwoman] for 10 years.

There was a shift in government when [former state] Sen. [Kenneth] LaValle [R-Port Jefferson], who was a tremendous asset to the 1st Senate District, decided that he was no longer going to run. That’s when Anthony Palumbo [R-New Suffolk] decided to run for Senate. They asked me to run to fill his [state Assembly] seat, which I did, and I’m happy to serve the 2nd Assembly District in Albany.

You have spoken recently about the need to funnel tax dollars back into Long Island communities. In your opinion, are Long Islanders underserved by Albany?

Absolutely. I think all of Long Island is underserved by Albany. The largest concentration of New Yorkers is in New York City, so a lot of the money gets funneled into the five boroughs. I think that we pay a tremendous amount in tax dollars and a tremendous amount in our utility costs and that we are underserved.

However, I am very close to a lot of people on the other side of the aisle. I explain to them the problems that we have in our district and that we need help. I have been inviting them out here to come to different events, such as the Bell Town Heritage Area [in Aquebogue], where a friend of mine in the Assembly, Alicia Hyndman [D-Springfield Gardens], actually came out with her daughter and spent the day with me out here in the district, so that I could show her some of the challenges we face. On Saturday for Juneteenth, I went into Hempstead and spent the day with my dear friend, Taylor Darling [D-Hempstead] who is also in the majority, to see what her population is faced with.

I think that’s what it really takes: Not being a foreigner to other areas of the state, to realize what their needs are, and to make sure that we all work together to bring some of that money and some of those resources back to Long Island. 

As local residents enter the voting booth for next week’s gubernatorial primary elections, what are some important issues that they should keep in mind?

The important issues are the high taxes that we pay in New York state and getting people back to work. I think that shutting down the economy and making people dependent on the government is problematic and it hasn’t worked in other countries. 

I’ve worked with Congressman Lee Zeldin [R-NY1] since 2009 in his campaigns and have worked very closely with him over the years to make sure that our voices are heard here on Long Island. I think he’s been a pretty good advocate for us. I’ve listened to the debates and I think all of the candidates make great points. They have different areas of expertise that could help the state and I hope that whoever becomes the governor will tap into those assets, knowledge and experience that those others have. 

I think that Lee Zeldin is the most experienced person running for governor in that he served in the state Senate and he also served in Congress, so he knows the mechanisms of government and can hit the ground running right away because we need a quick reversal of what is happening right now in the state.

Two Long Islanders will be on the primary ballots next week: Zeldin and Rep. Tom Suozzi (D-NY3). What does this say about the relationship between Long Island and Albany?

Long Islanders are mad. Whether it’s from the South Shore or the North Shore, the East End or the middle of Long Island, people here are mad. Our Long Island Expressway was a debacle for too many years. We needed that federal infrastructure money and I’m glad to say some of it is coming back to Long Island. 

Long Island is a very unique place. There are a lot of people across the state that are spending a lot of time on Long Island, enjoying our waterfronts and our fisheries, our marinas and our farms, our commerce and our beaches. It’s important that we promote ourselves and make sure that Long Island has a strong voice in the state government.

In your opinion, is the MTA-LIRR underperforming? And what can be done to expedite services and make the railroad more responsive to Long Island communities? 

I can tell you that the New York State government is a crutch for the MTA whenever the MTA fails or overspends or has issues. I think that the current governor [Kathy Hochul (D)] shutting down the government for so long, especially in New York City — and the city government that shut everything down from theaters to shopping to restaurants — it really showed New York City that Long Island can work from home and that we don’t need to go into the city. 

I think that is going to cripple the MTA even more. The fact that the current governor held back and kept shutting everything down, sending the troopers and child protective services into restaurants on Long Island and throughout the state to make sure that everybody was shut down was a further step into government dependency. We were just writing unemployment checks and encouraging people to stay home and not go to work. 

How can the state government be brought closer to the people of Long Island?

As I said previously, by bringing people out here. A lot of people on the other side of the aisle in the majority are planning on coming out and spending some time with me out on Long Island this summer, including Majority Leader Crystal Peoples-Stokes [D-Buffalo]. We’re going to visit the wineries and the farms, look at the beaches and spend some time together. She has assured me that she will be out here with me and I plan on taking a trip up to Buffalo to see what her hurdles and her struggles are.

I think that by bringing people out farther on Long Island and seeing what we have out here … especially our expressway. Long Island has been neglected for far too long and we need to make sure that our roads are safe, that our law enforcement is making sure that our communities are safe and that there’s always somebody at the other end of the phone to answer the call. 

Our volunteer firefighters and our volunteer EMS workers, they are finding it very unaffordable to live here. We need to make sure that there are incentives for them to stay as another aspect of public safety. That is the fundamental reason why we have a government: public health, safety, welfare and prosperity.

Is there anything else you would like to say to our local readers?

I would like to say that elections have consequences. It’s very important that everyone pays attention to who is running for office. Look them up on the internet. We have easy access now to look at the platforms of the people running for office. Pay attention to who’s running and who best represents your ideals, your values and your concerns.

Photo by Dave Wang

A TRUE PORT JEFFERSON BYPASS

Friends of the Greenway chair Charlie McAteer submitted this photo by Trail Steward Dave Wang which perfectly captures the original intent of the Port Jefferson Station-Setauket Greenway as these two wild turkeys ‘By-Pass Port Jefferson’ by using the trail last week. He writes, ‘Guess these birds too are enjoying our community gem.’ Join the group for their next clean up on July 23 at 9 p.m. starting at the Port Jeff. Station trailhead.

Send your Photo of the Week to [email protected]

Save the date! Theatre Three, 412 Main St., Port Jefferson will hold open auditions for its upcoming production of “Guys and Dolls” on Tuesday,  July 12 and Thursday,  July 21 at 7 p.m. Seeking strong singer/actor/dancers ages 16 and older. Bring headshot/resume if available. Callbacks TBD.  Performances will be held from Sept. 27 to Oct. 22. Please note: all actors must be fully vaccinated. For more information, visit www.theatrethree.com/auditions.html

Suffolk County Police Facebook

Save the date! The Suffolk County Police Department Impound Section will hold an auction on June 25 at 9 a.m. at the Suffolk County Police Department Impound Facility, located at 100 Old Country Road in Westhampton.

The auction will begin at 9 a.m. and will be held rain or shine. There will be a preview of vehicles on June 23 and June 24 between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. at the impound yard. Vehicles will also be available for preview for one hour prior to the start of the auction.

More than 120 lots will be auctioned off including sedans, SUVs, and motorcycles. There will also be a bucket truck available. All vehicles will start with a minimum bid of $300 and are sold as-is.

For a full list of vehicles, registration information and terms and conditions for the auction, visit www.suffolkpd.org and click Precincts and Specialized Units and then Vehicle and Property Auctions.

Student activists and community members took to the streets of Port Jefferson Station on Saturday, June 11, to protest the recent proliferation of gun violence in schools nationwide.

Demonstrators held signs and organizers delivered impassioned speeches calling upon public officials to enact comprehensive gun reform policies. Local photojournalist Daniel Palumbo was on the ground during the event, capturing images of the demonstrators as the event unfolded.

— Photos by Daniel Palumbo

Kurt Russell in a scene from 'The Thing.' Photo from Fathom Events

In celebration of its 40th anniversary, John Carpenter’s 1982 cult classic, The Thing, returns to select cinemas nationwide on Sunday, June 19 and Wednesday, June 22, courtesy of Fathom Events and Universal Pictures.  

Hailed as one of the best sci-fi horror films of all time, The Thing fused Kurt Russell’s outstanding performance with incredible visual effects to create a chilling new adaptation of the 1938 short story by John W. Campbell Jr., “Who Goes There?”

Set in the winter of 1982 at a research station in Antarctica, the film, featuring an iconic score from Oscar- and Grammy-winning composer Ennio Morricone, follows a twelve-man research team that discovers an alien being that has fallen from the sky and has remained buried in the snow for more than 100,000 years. Soon it is unfrozen and unleashed, creating havoc and terror as it changes forms and becomes one of them.

The special screening will also feature vintage, behind-the-scenes footage from the 1998 documentary The Thing: Terror Takes Shape by Michael Matessino. 

Locally the film will be screened at Island 16 Cinema de Lux in Holtsville and Farmingdale Multiplex Cinemas in Farmingdale on June 19 at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. and on June 22 at 7 p.m. To purchase tickets in advance, visit www.fathomevents.com.

See trailer here.

Tanaquil Le Clercq, backstage at City Center, ca. 1954, © Anton Alterman/Harold Roth Photography

The Friends of the Northport/East Northport Public Library invite the public to an Author’s Talk and Book signing at Northport Public Library, 151 Laurel Ave., Northport on Wednesday, June 22 at 7 p.m. Miller Place author Orel Protopopescu will discuss her book, Dancing Past the Light: The Life of Tanaquil Le Clercq, wife of Balanchine and Ballerina

Author Orel Protopopescu

Tanaquil “Tanny” Le Clercq, George Balanchine’s muse, ballerina, last wife, and teacher was a unique fusion of comical wit and dramatic allure. She never lost her sense of fun, even after she contracted polio in her 20s, when she could only dance with her hands and voice, while seated in a wheelchair, to demonstrate steps for her students at the Dance Theatre of Harlem. Protopopescu will share extracts from films and photos, some never before published, as well as passages from her intimate biography of Le Clercq. This biography also contains fascinating stories about the world of ballet, dancers, musicians and choreographers.

Choreographer George Balanchine once lived in Fort Salonga before he was married to Le Clercq.

Orel Protopopescu, poet, author, educator and translator, has written prize-winning works for children and adults. A Thousand Peaks, Poems from China (with Siyu Liu) was selected for the New York Public Library’s Books for the Teen Age, 2003 list.  Orel won the Oberon poetry prize in 2010 and 2020.

The event is free and open to the public. Copies of the book will be available to purchase (cash or check only). For reservations, please contact the Northport Public Library  at 631-261-6930 or online at www.nenpl.org,

Legislator Sarah Anker (D-Mount Sinai), at podium, with Legislator Kara Hahn (D-Setauket), left, and Bellone, right. Photo by Raymond Janis

In what is typically a quiet spot in the woods of Shoreham, elected county officials and community leaders gathered for a ribbon-cutting ceremony on June 10.

The North Shore rails-to-trails project was first introduced some five decades ago when a young woman at the time wrote a letter to the editor advocating for the conversion of an old rail line into a bike path. After decades of planning, the path, which links Mount Sinai to Wading River and everything in between, is finally complete.

Bikers celebrate the opening of the North Shore Rail Trail.
Photo by Raymond Janis

County Executive Steve Bellone (D) headlined the event. He spoke of the immense willpower on the part of the parties involved in making this dream a reality.

“You know any time a project is on the drawing boards for 50 years and you’re actually at the ribbon cutting, that’s a great day,” he said. 

In March 2020, the county completed its updated master plan for hiking and biking, which called for 1,200 miles of new bike infrastructure, according to Bellone. At full build-out, the plan would put 84% of county residents within a half-mile radius of a biking facility. The opening of the North Shore Rail Trail, he suggested, is an important first step to executing the master plan.

“This opening today really goes a long way toward kicking off that next effort — and we don’t want all of that to take another 50 years,” the county executive said. “That’s the kind of transformative investment we need to be making to keep our region prosperous and growing and attracting and retaining young people.” 

Suffolk County Legislator Sarah Anker (D-Mount Sinai) spearheaded much of this project through the various levels of government and into completion. During that process, Anker said her office overcame a number of obstacles before getting to the finish line. 

“We understood as a community we needed this,” she said. “My number one priority in making sure this happened was, and still continues to be, public safety — making sure our residents, especially our kids, have a safe place to ride their bikes.” 

Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone (D), prepares to cut the ribbon, surrounded by county Legislators, state and local officials, and leaders from throughout the community. Photo by Raymond Janis

For Anker, the trail offers a number of benefits to local residents, providing bikers with an open space to pursue their hobby while mitigating safety concerns about bikers sharing public roads with drivers. Additionally, the trail will encourage more residents to use their bikes to get around, limiting traffic congestion and air pollution from cars.

“I know someone that lives in Rocky Point,” Anker said. “He takes his bike on the trail now to get to his job in Mount Sinai … that’s what this trail is all about.”

Joining Anker was her colleague in the county Legislature, Legislator Kara Hahn (D-Setauket). Hahn said trails like these can help to band neighboring communities together, establishing a sense of cohesion throughout the area.

“Between this one and the Port Jeff Station-East Setauket Greenway Trail, we can get from 25A in Setauket all the way to Shoreham-Wading River safely,” she said. “Suffolk County’s roads have consistently fallen on a national list of the most dangerous for bicyclists and pedestrians. This is the kind of vision we need to turn that around.”

New York State Assemblywoman Jodi Giglio (R-Riverhead) delivering her remarks during the events. Photo by Raymond Janis

State Assemblywoman Jodi Giglio (R-Riverhead) suggested that at a time when tax dollars are leaving Long Island communities, the opening of this bike path is also a symbolic victory for the community members and their representatives.

“I couldn’t think of a better way to spend taxpayer money than to invest it in something that is a free, recreational and healthy activity for not only the residents of Suffolk County, but for all of New York,” she said.

Town of Brookhaven Highway Superintendent Daniel Losquadro (R) detailed the many logistical hurdles that the Highway Department had to overcome to make this project possible. 

“There are over 30 road crossings and all of them are town roads,” he said. “We had to work very closely on making sure that the design of that provided for safe passage for our bikers and walkers.” He added, “I live about a third of a mile away and rode my bike here [today]. I ride here with my kids all the time and it is a fantastic addition to our community.”

Anker ended with one final reflection before the official ribbon cutting, placing the trail in historical context. “The original idea came about 50 years ago at a Sound Beach Civic [Association] meeting and also a young girl in 1974, who wrote a letter to the editor,” the county legislator said. “It did take a while, but we did it.”