Community

Library teen volunteers will be on hand to accept donations. Photo from Emma Clark Library

Throughout the month of July, Emma Clark Library, 120 Main St., Setauket will be collecting nonperishable food items to be donated to local food pantries and nonprofit organizations. 

Food pantries often see bare shelves during the summer and need help with restocking items for those who are food insecure. Library teen volunteers will be collecting contributions that the public donates to the Library and delivering the food to various food pantries throughout the community. 

Donation boxes will be located in the Library lobby to the left of the Circulation Desk, and all are welcome to donate during Library hours. Some suggestions for food items include cereal, peanut butter, jelly, canned fruits and vegetables, rice, beans, tuna fish, juice, gum, snacks (pretzels, granola bars, trail mix, cookies), pasta, and pasta sauce. 

For more information, call 631-941-4080 or visit www.emmaclark.org.

After eight years of service on the Port Jefferson Village Board of Trustees, Bruce Miller will leave office. File photo

After eight years of service on the Port Jefferson Village Board of Trustees, Bruce Miller will leave office after this week.

Miller, who unsuccessfully sought a fifth term as trustee in this year’s election, will leave office on July 4. He will be succeeded by Lauren Sheprow. 

In an exclusive interview with Miller, the outgoing trustee reflected upon his time in village government, his greatest challenges and his hopes for the future.

Miller congratulated the winners of the race, saying, “I would like to congratulate the two people that did win, Rebecca [Kassay] and Lauren. I hope they will do good things for the village.” He added, “Obviously, I’m disappointed that I didn’t place in the necessary top two, so I’ll be looking for other things to do. Any assistance that I can provide to the new trustees or the mayor or anyone else associated with the village government, I would be glad to provide.”

Writing his own story

Miller highlighted several projects that he believes represent the core of his contribution to the village. He said the projects he focused on were those that required long-term vision, carried out over many years.

“Certain things take a long time to accomplish,” he said. “With the green energy aggregated solar, we had to get laws passed in order to have it permitted on Long Island as LIPA resisted.” Miller added that the village could sign up for this program right now, which would reduce utility costs for village ratepayers. 

‘I worked in areas kind of on my own. I made my own story.’

— Bruce Miller

The Long Island Rail Road was another trademark issue for Miller. He believes that after years of persistence, funds are finally being made available to improve the rider experience and expedite services. “The money is there,” the retiring trustee said. “There’s $10 billion coming to the MTA and we need to work with our legislatures to ensure that we get a piece of that.” He added, “In the Army we used to have the expression, KISS: Keep it simple, stupid. To the Long Island Rail Road, I would say just streamline this thing and do what you have to do to get us a better ride.”

Miller will be leaving office with “some ideas on the drawing board.” He said that if he had been reelected, he would have explored the possibility of annexing the Lawrence Aviation property and the houses between the property and Sheep Pasture Road.

“There’s 40 acres of open space there where we could declare parkland,” he said. “That would resolve a lot of issues that we have.”

Another idea Miller had was to consider the possibility of constructing underground parking in the Dutch model. 

Working as a trustee, Miller said he encountered numerous difficulties along the way. A contrarian and independent voice, Miller said he was often in the minority on many of the major issues.

“I was a minority trustee,” he said. “It’s a very low-leverage situation. I tried to be supportive of the mayor and the priorities of the majority, but in some cases I could not do that and resisted a lot of that.” He continued, “I worked in areas kind of on my own. I made my own story.”

Tradition vs. transformation

Miller said that while much of the village’s character remains unchanged since his first term, the village has undergone some profound changes, most noticeably in Upper Port.

“If you look at the four blocks south of Sheep Pasture and North Country Road, there’s change going on there and there will be a lot more,” Miller said, adding, “The area was pretty blighted and the people who owned the property there allowed it to deteriorate in order to extract consideration for larger zoning, which they got.”

Miller also acknowledged that much of the development in Upper Port is made possible through Industrial Development Agency subsidies, “which means the apartments pay very little taxes, so there’s a great incentive for building and not much desire on the part of the developers to give back,” he said.

One area Miller had hoped developers could compromise on was architecture, which he believes should reflect the New England and maritime traditions of the community and create a sense of continuity between uptown and downtown. 

“I had advocated that we use a Victorian, maritime kind of architectural structure on these buildings to tie them in with the downtown, so that we are one village,” he said, adding, “Making a village of quality is of interest to the residents because it improves their property values and their sense of being.”

Miller said he understands the sense of urgency to develop those areas. However, he still believes the developments should be guided by greater oversight from the village. “We’re not looking toward the future in terms of developing an ambiance that is on a par with Cold Spring Harbor or Southampton,” he said.

Leaving office

Miller’s message to the incoming board is to keep his priorities in mind as they are important. Aside from the duties that preoccupy board members from day to day, he said considerable forethought and long-term planning are also necessary.

“There’s a lot that goes on in the village that needs to get done, but we need to get beyond that and make substantial improvements in what we’re focusing on,” he said. “I would hope that they would pick up some of these issues that I had started with.”

He also asked that the trustees and the Planning Board apply greater pressure to real estate developers, who “are getting an extraordinary deal.” 

Miller said he favors the construction of condominiums over one-bedroom apartments, which he says can also help offset declining student enrollment in the school district.

When asked if he had any regrets about his time in village government, he replied, “No, I don’t have any regrets. I really see this as a calling and it improves me. I like to contribute. I enjoy putting my energy and creativity into enterprises benefiting the community, and I will continue to do so.” He added, “I just see the value in contributing to and helping my fellow citizens and trying to express a better vision for their future.”

The Three Village Chamber of Commerce annual awards dinner on June 15 was a night of celebration.

The 2022-23 chamber board was sworn in by Valerie Cartright, New York State Supreme Court justice and former Town of Brookhaven councilwoman.

This year, for outstanding service to the entire chamber, the Member of the Year award was presented to Colette Frey-Bitzas. She has been a member of the chamber for more than 15 years, according to a press release from the chamber.

“She has volunteered countless hours while serving as second vice president and as chair of the programing committee,” the press release continued. “Being aware of the needs of our business community, she has led the program committee to host programs that are of value to the chamber members. During COVID she made sure members stayed connected through regular Zoom meetings, many of which focused on the challenges business faced during that unprecedented time.”

Frey-Bitzas is financial planning director at PPS Advisors. She also serves as co-chair of Three Village Industry Advisory Board which provides opportunities for Ward Melville High School students to meet with local business leaders. She is a member of the Stony Brook Hospital Compliance & Audit Committee of the Governing Body and is an adjunct professor at Molloy College.

The event held at the Three Village Inn in Stony Brook also included the presentation of the Roy Dragotta Award to attorney Ron Lavita for outstanding commitment to and participation in the chamber. The award is named after the chamber founder.

The Harold Pryor Award for community service was awarded to Joan Dickinson, assistant vice president of community relations at Stony Brook University. Pryor was the former president of the United Transportation Union representing Long Island Rail Road trainmen. He became chamber president in 1978.

— Rita J. Egan

Parents and community members were treated to a special preview of this year’s surprise prom theme, The Royal Manor, just hours before the graduating Port Jeff seniors celebrated their prom on Tuesday, June 28.

After 10 months of planning and secrecy, the Port Jeff prom committee finally unveiled its spooky creations. From the lobby to the ballroom to the bathroom stalls, every inch of The Meadow Club was tied together into this year’s theme. Randi DeWitt, trustee of the Port Jefferson board of education and member of the prom committee, detailed how these plans came together. 

At the beginning of the school year, the executive board of the prom committee made the difficult decision to move the annual prom from its regular venue, the high school, to The Meadow Club in Port Jefferson Station.

“Everything used to be at the school, but because of COVID — because of that mandate at the beginning of the year — when we sat together as an exec board for the prom, we had to make the decision of where we were going to have it,” DeWitt said. “We decided to have it here at The Meadow Club because there wouldn’t be a mask mandate. We wanted to bring the theme here, which they graciously allowed us to do.”

The committee put together several unique interior designs throughout the banquet space. Part of the prom tradition is that guests are welcomed to a large foyer area. Each student had his or her own mailbox, where parents and visitors could leave special handwritten notes.

“This area we’re very proud of,” DeWitt said. “Every student has a book and it’s a tradition that the parents and other people come and leave messages for the kids.”

Another custom is the intricate decoration of the bathrooms. Both bathrooms contained elaborate displays that featured unique wallpaper, props and even digital audio to create an ambiance of both fun and fright. “This is a big tradition, the bathrooms, because they just get totally transformed,” DeWitt said. 

She described the sense of relief and accomplishment that the committee felt after nearly a year of preparations came to fruition. For her, the event represents the culmination of effort, ingenuity and love on the part of committee members, parents and other volunteers. 

“We had to raise an insane amount of money to pull this off and we did,” DeWitt said. “This is the culmination and it’s great because we know the kids will have so much fun.” She added, “That’s really why we do this — we do it for the kids.”

Pictured from left, Akiva Rudner, COO of CareRite Centers; Santa Espinal, RN, Director of Nursing Services; Stephanie Malone, Administrator; Leg. Leslie Kennedy; Comptroller John Kennedy; Neal Einhorn, Co-Founder and Principal of CareRite Centers; Valerie Pierre, Marketing and Community Liaison; Assemblyman Michael J. Fitzpatrick; and Mark Friedman, Co-Founder and Principal of CareRite Centers, Photo courtesy of The Hamlet

The Hamlet Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 100 Southern Blvd., Nesconset recently unveiled their newly-renovated healing center to the community with a ribbon-cutting event that included a tour of the renovated lobby and dining areas. 

The event was attended by Suffolk County Legislator Leslie Kennedy, Suffolk Comptroller John Kennedy and New York State Assemblyman Michael J. Fitzpatrick who presented proclamations.

“We are so excited to share these premier renovations with our Nesconset community,” shared Stephanie Malone, Administrator of The Hamlet Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center at Nesconset. “We are so proud to showcase The Hamlet as an all-encompassing center to not only rejuvenate and recover, but to do so in a luxurious healing environment.” 

Along with their reimagined dining space and lobby, as a member of the CareRite Centers network, the Hamlet has partnered with Celebrity Chef Anne Burrell, Food Network star and host of shows such as primetime franchise Worst Cooks in America, Chef Wanted, and Secrets of a Restaurant Chef. 

“When you work at The Hamlet, you truly work as a family. We find ourselves fortunate to care for our residents in such a beautiful space, supported by a team who keeps our patients and team members’ interests top of mind at all times,” added Malone.

The Hamlet Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center at Nesconset is a member of the CareRite Centers Network. CareRite Centers supports the subacute and long-term skilled nursing populations in New York, New Jersey, Tennessee, and Florida. For more information, call 631-361-8800 or visit www.hamletrehab.com.

Apple Fritter. Photo from Smithtown Animal Shelter

MEET APPLE FRITTER!

This week’s featured shelter pet is Apple Fritter, a 2-year-old Puggle Mix currently up for adoption at the Smithtown Animal Shelter. 

Apple Fritter. Photo from Smithtown Animal Shelter

Sweet Apple Fritter was found as a stray and was never claimed.  This little lady loves people and is gentle natured.  She will likely do well with another dog her size that can help show her the ropes.  Apple was clearly not walked or exposed to the world because she shows a lot of fear. Her ideal home would be an active one with the ability to show her how to be confident and how to enjoy the world around her. She would be a wonderful addition to any home.

If you would like to meet Apple Fritter, please call ahead to schedule an hour to properly interact with her in a domestic setting.

The Smithtown Animal & Adoption Shelter is located at 410 Middle Country Road, Smithtown. Visitor hours are currently Monday to Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Sundays and Wednesday evenings by appointment only). For more information, call 631-360-7575 or visit www.townofsmithtownanimalshelter.com.

La Buena Vida Restaurant, 714 Montauk Highway, Moriches will host the 5th annual Pig Roast fundraiser to benefit Hope House Ministries in Port Jefferson on Wednesday, July 20 from 6 to 8 p.m. $30 donation per person includes dinner and soft drinks with a special musical performance by Damaged Goods. Reservations suggested by calling 631-909-1985.

IT'S PINKARIFIC! Last chance to catch a performance of Pinkalicious at the Engeman Theater. The show closes on July 3.
PROGRAMS

Toothy Tuesdays

Drop by the Whaling Museum, 301 Main St., Cold Spring Harbor on Tuesdays in July for Toothy Tuesday, a shark tooth excavation workshop, from 2 to 4 p.m. Come celebrate these incredible apex predators! Touch a real shark jaw and a Megalodon tooth. Learn to identify different shark teeth and excavate a real shark tooth fossil. Design and create a necklace or keychain featuring your fossil treasure. Admission + $10 participant. Call 367-3418 for more information.

A Morning of Chamber Music

Children ages 4 and up are invited to the Suffolk County Vanderbilt Museum, 180 Little Neck Road, Centerport for a visit with the Long Island Chamber Music in the mansion’s courtyard on July 2 at 10 a.m. Musicians Gareth Flowers, Sophie Manoloff, Eric Huckins, Burt Mason, trombone; and Daniel Schwalbach will present Meet the Brass Family!, a highly interactive program, featuring a mix of jazz and classical pieces by American composers from the Gilded Age. Children will have an in-depth look at the brass instruments and become composers for the day. BYO chairs. $10 ages 4 to 12. To register, visit www.vanderbiltmuseum.org.

Hatchery Scavenger Hunt

Drop by the Cold Spring Harbor Fish Hatchery, 1660 Route 25A, Cold Spring Harbor on Jjuly 4 between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. for a Scavenger Hunt. Explore the hatchery and aquarium to find the animal that completes the rhyme. $7 adults, $6 seniors, $5 children ages 3 to 12. Questions? Call 516-692-6768.

Summer Drop-In Workshop

Join the Heckscher Museum of Art, 2 Prime Ave., Huntington for a Summer Drop-In Workshop on July 7 from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. 

Create fun works of art in a variety of materials inspired by artwork in the Museum’s Collection and exhibitions. Each week’s project will be exciting and different. Programs will be held both in the Museum and in Heckscher Park. Fee is $10 per child, adults free, payable at the door. (Fee includes all art supplies and general admission to the museum.) Call 380-3230.

Stars & Stripes Crafts

In perfect timing with the Fourth of July, the Whaling Museum, 301 Main St., Cold Spring Harbor offers Stars & Strips crafts Tuesdays to Sundays from 1 to 4 p.m. through July 10. Explore the museum’s exhibits and then help yourself to red, white, and blue crafts in the workshop. ​Free with admission fee of $6 adults, $5 kids/seniors. Call 367-3418.

THEATER

‘Pinkalicious The Musical’

The John W. Engeman Theater, 250 Main St., Northport continues its children’s theater season with Pinkalicious The Musical from May 28 to July 3. Pinkalicious can’t stop eating pink cupcakes despite warnings from her parents. Her pink indulgence lands her at the doctor’s office with Pinkititis, an affliction that turns her pink from head to toe — a dream come true for this pink loving enthusiast. But when her hue goes too far, only Pinkalicious can figure out a way to get out of this predicament. Tickets are $20. To order, call 261-2900 or visit www.engemantheater.com. 

Disney’s ‘The Little Mermaid’

The Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts, 2 E. Main St., Smithtown presents Disney’s The Little Mermaid from July 2 to July 24. Based on one of Hans Christian Andersen’s most beloved stories and the classic animated film, Disney’s The Little Mermaid is a hauntingly beautiful love story for the ages. Ariel, King Triton’s youngest daughter, wishes to pursue the human Prince Eric in the world above, bargaining with the evil sea witch, Ursula, to trade her tail for legs. But the bargain is not what it seems, and Ariel needs the help of her colorful friends, Flounder the fish, Scuttle the seagull and Sebastian the crab to restore order under the sea. All seats are $25. To order, visit www.smithtownpac.org.

‘Puss-In-Boots’

Join Theatre Three, 412 Main St., Port Jefferson for a hilarious musical re-telling of Puss-In-Boots, the tale of a boy and his ingenious feline, from July 8 to July 30 with a special sensory sensitive performance on July 10. When Christopher inherits his father’s clever cat, he sets out on an adventure that takes him to the palace of King Vexmus and beyond and learns that faith comes from within. $10 per person. To order, call 928-9100 or visit www.theatrethree.com.

A CELEBRATION OF DANCE The L.I. Dance Consortium heads to the Chapin Rainbow Stage at Heckscher Park in Huntington on July 1. Photo from HAC
Ongoing

Huntington Summer Arts Festival

The 57th annual Huntington Summer Arts Festival continues at the Chapin Rainbow Stage at Heckscher Park, 2 Prime Ave., Huntington this week with the Huntington Men’s Chorus on June 30, the L.I. Dance Consortium “A Celebration of Dance I” on July 1, Cabaret Night with Anthony Nunziata on July 2, The Mikado; A Long Island Fantasy on July 3, and Huntington Community Band on July 6 and Alsarah & The Nubatones on July 7. All shows start at 8 p.m. Bring seating. Free. For more information, visit www.huntingtonarts.org.

Thursday June 30

St. Anthony’s Feast and Festival

Fr. Thomas Judge Knights of Columbus celebrates its 29th annual St. Anthony’s Family Feast and Festival  at Trinity Regional School, 1025 Fifth Ave., East Northport tonight, July 1 from 6 to 11 p.m. and July 2 from 3 to 11 p.m. Featuring rides, games, food, craft beer, live music, circus shows and Saturday fireworks. Special attractions include the Royal Legacy Circus, Scotto’s Carnival Stage, a Zeppole eating contest on June 30  and  a St. Anthony statue procession on July 2. Free admission, pay-one-price rides or individual rides. Call 262-1891 or visit www.newtonshows.com.

Vanderbilt lecture

Suffolk County Vanderbilt Planetarium, 180 Little Neck Road, Centerport presents an evening lecture titled Gentleman Bankers from 7  to 8:30 p.m. Guest speaker Dr. Susie J. Pak will discuss J.P. Morgan and the world of investment banking in the early the 20th century. Tickets are $10 per person at www.vanderbiltmuseum.org.

Music Made in America concert

The Northport Community Band kicks off its summer concert series at the Robert W. Krueger Bandstand in Northport Village Park tonight with a concert titled  Music Made in America at 8:30 p.m. featuring scores by Hamilton, Sousa, Armed Forces Salute and more. Pre-concert by Island Winds Chamber Ensemble. Bring seating. Rain location is Northport High School. Call 261-6972 or visit www.ncb59.org

Friday July 1

See June 30 listing.

Happenings on Main Street

The Northport Arts Coalition presents a free concert by The Dead Ahead Band featuring the music of the Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers and more at the Northport Village Park Gazebo at the harbor at 7 p.m. as part of its Happenings on Main Street Series. Bring seating. Call 827-6827 or visit www.northportarts.org.

Musical Moments in Kings Park

The Kings Park Civic Association kicks off its 2022 Musical Moments series tonight at Russ Savatt Park, 14 Main St., Kings Park at 7:30 p.m. with the Hoodoo Loungers (New Orleans Mardi Gras). Bring seating. Call 516-319-0672.

Saturday July 2

See June 30 listing.

Nature Walks

The Town of Brookhaven will host a nature walk at West Meadow Beach, Trustees Road, Stony Brook at 10 am. and at Cedar Beach, 200 Harbor Road, Mount Sinai at 2 p.m. Explore the unique ecology of the beach and salt marsh and learn about the different and overlapping ecosystems of flora and fauna, and the habitats that comprise these beautiful places. Please wear closed, comfortable shoes. Free but registration is required by emailing [email protected].

Independence Day concert

Join the Suffolk County Vanderbilt Museum, 180 Little Neck Road, Centerport for an concert titled Independence Day on the Gold Coast by members of the Long Island Chamber Music in the Vanderbilt Mansion courtyard from 6 to 7:30 p.m. The evening will feature a musical celebration of American composers spanning the Gilded Age of the late 1800s to the Jazz Age of the early 1900s. BYO chairs and picnic. $30 per person, $25 members. To order, visit www.vanderbiltmuseum.org.

An evening of jazz

As part of the 2022 Douglas Elliman Summer Music Series, the Jazz Loft, 275 Christian Ave., Stony Brook welcomes Vince Giordano and The Nighthawks in concert at 7 p.m for an evening of classic jazz. Tickets are $35 adults, $30 seniors, $25 students, $20 children, children 5 and under free. To order, call 751-1895 or visit www.thejazzloft.org.

Sunday July 3

Holbrook Car Show

Holbrook Commons, 480 Patchogue Holbrook Rd, Holbrook will host the 2nd annual Holbrook Commons Car Show by Native Ceuticals from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Entry fee will be $5 with all proceeds going to charity. 

Hoyt Farm concert

Hoyt Farm, 200 New Highway, Commack continues its free Sunday concerts with X-Session at 7 p.m. Bring seating. NOTE: Smithtown resident stickers required to park on property. Call 543-7804 for further information.

Fireworks in Port Jefferson

The Village of Port Jefferson will hold a fireworks display tonight at 9 p.m. from West Beach (residents only). Also viewable from Cedar Beach, 244 Harbor Beach Road, Mount Sinai. Call 473-4724 or visit www.portjeff.com.

Monday July 4

Fourth of July Parade  

Grab yourself a lawn chair and head down to Main Street so you don’t miss a moment of the Port Jefferson Fourth of July Parade on July 4 at 10 a.m. Fire trucks, dancers, bagpipe players, classic cars and more. The event is sponsored by Port Jefferson Fire
Department. Rain date is July 8. Call 473-1414 for further info.

Celebration of Hometown Heroes

VFW Post 6249, 109 King Road, Rocky Point and the Rocky Point Sound Beach Chamber of Commerce present A Celebration of Hometown Heroes at 11 a.m. Followed by a live reading of the Declaration of Independence. Refreshments will be served. Call 729-0699 or visit www.rpsbchamber.org

Fireworks at Bald Hill

Celebrate Independence Day at the Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater at Bald Hill, 1 Ski Run Lane, Farmingville with live music from Solid 70s and The Chiclettes starting at 5:30 p.m. followed by fireworks at 9:15 p.m. Questions? Call 648-2500

Tuesday July 5

Concerts in the Courtyard

Northport Public Library, 151 Laurel Road, Northport will host an outdoor concert in the courtyard featuring the Just Sixties band at 7 p.m. Come enjoy the biggest rock, pop, and folk hits from one of the most important periods in music history. Rain date is July 6. No registration required. Call 261-6930.

Community Band concert

The Smithtown Community Band kicks off its 36th annual summer concert season at the Smithtown Historical Society’s Brush Barn, 239 E. Main St., Smithtown at 8 p.m. This year’s theme is American Pop Culture: A Journey Through Time featuring music attributed to popular books, movies, video games, television, advertising and Broadway shows of the 20th and 21st century. Free. Bring seating. Call 265-6768 for more info.

Wednesday July 6

Estate Walk & Talk Tour

Suffolk County Vanderbilt Museum, 180 Little Neck Road, Centerport offers Estate Walk & Talk tours at 11 a.m. and again 12:30 p.m. Come for an intriguing walking tour of the Vanderbilt Estate with knowledgeable Museum educators. Learn about the history of the Eagle’s Nest estate; Warren & Wetmore’s design and exterior architectural details of the 24-room Spanish Revival mansion; and the striking ironwork of Samuel Yellin, considered the greatest iron artisan of the early 20th century. Tickets, which include general admission, are available for purchase only at the door: Adults $16, seniors/students $15, children under 12 $13, and members free. Visit www.vanderbiltmuseum.org for more information.

‘Young at Heart’ concert

The Jazz Loft, 275 Christian Ave., Stony Brook will be highlighting Big Band Jazz in July as the popular Young at Heart daytime concert series continues this afternoon at 1 p.m. The concert is co-sponsored by the Ward Melville Heritage Organization. The band will feature the Young at Heart Trio, with Jazz Loft Founder Tom Manuel on cornet, Steve Salerno on guitar, and Keenan Zach on bass. Tickets are $10. To order, call 631-751-1895 or visit www.thejazzloft.org.

Summer Concert Wednesdays

The Port Jefferson Station/Terryville Chamber of Commerce kicks off its Summer Concert Wednesdays at the Port Jefferson Station/Terryville Chamber Train Car Park, Nesconset Highway and Route 112, Port Jefferson Station from 6 to 8 p.m. with SouthBound (Veterans Night). Call 821-1313 or visit www.pjstchamber.com. 

Terryville Carnival

Terryville Fire Department, 19 Jayne Blvd., Port Jefferson Station invites the community to its annual family carnival tonight, July 7 and 8 from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m., July 9 from 5 p.m. to midnight, and July 10 from 5 to 10 p.m. Enjoy rides, games and carnival food. $25 entry fee includes all rides. Call 473-1224.

Port Jefferson Sunset Concert

Greater Port Jefferson Arts Council presents Sunset Concerts at Harborfront Park, 101-A East Broadway, Port Jefferson every Wednesday from 6:30 to 8 p.m. through Aug. 31. Tonight’s performance will be by the The Famous Dr. Scanlon Band. Call 473-5220 or visit www.gpjac.org.

Thursday July 7

Terryville Carnival

See July 6 listing.

Inside/Out art reception

Gallery North, 90 North Country Road, Setauket invites the community to an opening reception of its Inside/Out group exhibit featuring the works of over 50 local and regional artists from 6 to 8 p.m. Call 751-2676.

Smithtown Library concert

The Dennis Cannataro Family Summer Concert Series returns to the Smithtown Main Library, 1 North Country Road, Smithtown tonight at 7:30 p.m. with the Just Sixties Band. Bring a chair or blanket for seating. For more information, call 360-2480 ext.150 after 3 p.m.

Harborside Concerts

The Village of Port Jefferson kicks off its free Harborside Concert series at the Show Mobile at Harborfront Park, 101-A East Broadway, Port Jefferson with Beach Boys tribute band Endless Summer at 8 p.m. Bring seating. For more information, call-473-4724 or visit www.portjeff.com.

Community Band concert

The Northport Community Band continues its summer concert series at the Robert W. Krueger Bandstand in Northport Village Park tonight with a concert titled  Holiday Make-up Celebration at 8:30 p.m. Pre-concert  by the NCJO Big Band. Bring seating. Rain location is Northport High School. Call 261-6972 or visit www.ncb59.org

Film

‘Leave it to Beavers!’ 

The Four Harbors Audubon Society continues its First Friday Movie Night series with Nature’s documentary Leave it to Beavers at the Smithtown Library, 1 North Country Road, Smithtown on July 1 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Discover why this curious animal is so important to our landscapes and ecosystems.Unfortunately, it hasn’t received much recognition for that accomplishment until now. A growing number of scientists, conservationists and grass-roots environmentalists have come to  regard beavers as overlooked tools in reversing the effects of global warming and world-wide water shortages. A discussion will follow. Free but registration is required by calling 766-3075. 

Theater

‘Kinky Boots’

John W. Engeman Theater, 250 Main St., Northport presents Kinky Boots from May 19 to July 3. With songs by Cyndi Lauper and book by Harvey Fierstein, this dazzling, sassy and uplifting musical celebrates a joyous story, inspired by true life events, taking you from the factory floor of a men’s shoe factory to the glamorous catwalks of Milan! Tickets range from $75 to $80 with free valet parking. To order, call 261-2900 or visit www.engemantheater.com. 

‘Every Brilliant Thing’

Theatre Three, 412 Main Street, Port Jefferson, in association with Response Crisis Center, presents the Long Island premiere of Every Brilliant Thing, a one-man show starring Jeffrey Sanzel, on the Second Stage Sundays at 3 p.m. from July 10 to Aug. 28.  You’re seven years old. Your mother is in the hospital. Your father said she’s “done something stupid.” So, you begin a list of everything that is truly wonderful about the world—everything worth living for. With audience members recruited to take on supporting roles, Every Brilliant Thing is a heart-wrenching, hilarious story of depression and the lengths we will go for those we love. Presented with unflinching honesty, the play perfectly balances the struggles of life while celebrating all that is “truly brilliant” in living each day. All seats are $20. Fifty percent of the gross proceeds of this production will benefit Response Crisis Center. To order, call 928-9100 or visit www.theatrethree.com.

‘On Your Feet!’

The John W. Engeman Theater, 250 Main St., Northport presents On Your Feet! The Story of Emilio and Gloria Estefan from July 14 to Aug. 28. From their humble beginnings in Cuba, Emilio and Gloria Estefan came to America and broke through all barriers to become a crossover sensation at the very top of the pop music world. But just when they thought they had it all, they almost lost everything. On Your Feet! takes you behind the music and inside the real story of this record-making, and groundbreaking couple who, in the face of adversity, found a way to end up on their feet. Get ready to get on your feet, and dance to the smash hits “Rhythm Is Gonna Get You,” “1-2-3,” “Live For Loving You,” “Conga,” and many more. Tickets range from $75 to $80 with free valet parking. To order, call 261-2900 or visit www.engemantheater.com. 

‘Troilus and Cressida’

The Carriage House Players continues its annual Shakespeare Festival at the Suffolk County Vanderbilt Museum, 180 Little Neck Road, Centerport with Troilus and Cressida from July 1 to 24 (excluding July 15 and 22) on Wednesdays and Fridays at 8 p.m., Sundays at 7 p.m. Performances take place outdoors on stage in the courtyard, where the Spanish-Mediterranean architecture adds a touch of timeless charm and magic. Bring a picnic dinner to enjoy before the show and bring your own lawn chair. Inclement weather cancels. Tickets are $20 adults, $15 seniors and children ages 12 and under. To order, visit www.vanderbiltmuseum.org.

‘Spring Awakening’

Up next for Star Playhouse at Suffolk Y-JCC’s Stage 74, 74 Hauppauge Road, Commack is Spring Awakening, the Tony Award-winning rock musical adaptation of the seminal play about the trials and tribulations of growing up, on July 30 at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. and on July 31 at 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. Tickets are $20, $15 seniors and students. To order, call 462-9800 x-136 or visit www.starplayhouse.com.

‘I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change’

The Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts, 2 E. Main St., Smithtown presents the hit musical I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change from Aug. 4 to Aug. 14. This hilarious revue pays tribute to those who have loved and lost, to those who have fallen on their face at the portal of romance, to those who have dared to ask, ‘Say, what are you doing Saturday night?’ Tickets are $45 adults, $40 seniors. To order, visit www.smithtownpac.org.

Vendors Wanted

The Shoppes at East Wind, 5768 Route 25A, Wading River has vendor opportunities available for its upcoming outdoor Farmer’s Markets on July 16, Aug. 20 and Sept.17 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 631-929-3500 x708 for an application.

The Whaling Museum, 301 Main St., Cold Spring Harbor seeks glass enthusiasts (both sea glass and historic glass) and vendors to be a part of it Suffolk County Seaglass Festival on Aug. 7 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The fee for vendor participation is $50 and entitles you to a 72” banquet table for displaying your items. Visit www.cshwhalingmuseum.org for an application or call 631-367-3418.

Nesconset Chamber of Commerce seeks vendors for its Nesconset Day street fair along Smithtown Blvd. in Nesconset on Aug. 28 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call 631-672-5197 or email [email protected]

St. Thomas of Canterbury, 29 Brooksite Drive, Smithtown seeks craft or new merchandise vendors for its Craft Fair and Car Show on Oct. 8 (rain date is Oct. 15 for craft fair only). Visit www.stthomasofcanterbury.net or call 631-265-4520 to obtain an application or get more info. 

Stony Brook Community Church, 216 Christian Ave., Stony Brook is seeking vendors for its Apple Festival on Oct.1 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. (rain date Oc. 2)). Spots (10’ x 10’) are $40 each; vendors can call or text 631-252-0777 for an application to reserve a space.

The Port Jefferson senior prom, a community tradition dating back over half a century, returned on Tuesday, June 28, after two years of disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Although the event itself was held off premises at The Meadow Club in Port Jefferson Station, a red carpet celebration was successfully conducted at the school, viewed by a sizable turnout of family, friends and community members.

Couples arrived in a wide array of vehicles — fire trucks, sports cars, hot rods, just to name a few. Spectators cheered and honored the students as they arrived and walked up the steps of the high school for what may have been the last time as high school students.

This year, nearly 100 guests attended the prom festivities. This local tradition is alive and well once more.