Community

Brody Hampson and Lorelai Mucciolo sing 'Love Is an Open Door'

Do you want to build a snowman? The Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts, 2 E. Main St., Smithtown will present Disney’s Frozen Jr. through Jan. 17. Six shows are left:

Leah Kelly as Elsa in ‘Frozen Jr.’

Sat. Jan. 15 – 10 am

Sat. Jan. 15 – 2 pm

Sun. Jan. 16 – 10 am

Sun. Jan. 16 – 2 pm

Mon. Jan 17 – 10 am

Mon. Jan 17 – 2 pm

A story of true love and acceptance between sisters, Frozen Jr. expands upon the emotional relationship and journey between Princesses Anna and Elsa. When faced with danger, the two discover their hidden potential and the powerful bond of sisterhood. With a cast of beloved characters and loaded with magic, adventure, and plenty of humor, Frozen Jr. is sure to thaw even the coldest heart! Tickets are $25. Call 724-3700 or visit www.smithtownpac.org.

Members of the eGALitarian Brass will present a free concert at All Souls Church in Stony Brook on Jan. 15.
Saturday Jan. 15

Concert at All Souls

The Saturdays at Six Concert series at All Souls Church, 61 Main Street, Stony Brook continues with a free concert by eGALitarian Brass, a New York based brass ensemble presenting brass trios written by women composers, performed by women musicians, at 6 p.m. As a brass trio (trumpet, horn, and trombone), their performance will explore these three instruments as their voices intertwine in new ways through works by Lauren Bernofsky, Faye-Ellen Silverman, Adriana I. Figueroa Mañas, among others. Please bring a can of food to donate to a local food pantry. Call 655-7798.

Sunday Jan. 16
Vendors at the Huntington winter farmers market include The Big Cheese. Photo by Heidi Sutton

Huntington Winter Farmers Market

Get your farm fix in the off-season at the Huntington Winter Farmers Market every Sunday through March 27, 2022 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Located behind the senior center at 423 Park Ave., Huntington, visitors will find items ranging from hydroponic greens to artisan breads and vegan treats and everything in between. Call 944-2661.

Port Jeff Winter Farmers Market 

The Port Jefferson Winter Farmers Market will be held every Sunday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Port Jefferson Village Center, 101-A E. Broadway, Port Jefferson through April 25. This year’s vendors include Brownies N’ Stuff, Joann’s Desserts, Farm Fresh Potions, Mello Munch Awesome Granola, O Honey Bee Farm, Sweet Melissa Dip, Mr. B’s Hot Sauce, Speedy Kiwi Bakery, Knot of this World Pretzels, Springbrook Hollow Farm Distillery, Spilt Milk Macarons and many more. For more information, call 802-2160.

Monday Jan. 17

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Virtual Movie Trivia Night

Do you know a lot about movies? Well here’s your chance to prove it! Join the Cinema Arts Centre in Huntington for a virtual Movie Trivia Night at 8 p.m. Hosted by Dan French, the winning team will get up to four CAC Gift Cards (1 per team member) and bragging rights. Tickets are $10 per team, $7 members. Visit www.cinemaartscentre.org to register. Questions? Email [email protected].

Tuesday Jan. 18

No events listed for this day.

Wednesday Jan. 19

Veterans Home hosts Job Fair

The Long Island State Veterans Home, 100 Patriots Road, Stony Brook will host a Job Fair in the Multipurpose Room from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and again from 5 to 6 p.m. with on-site interviews. Bring your resume. To make an appointment, call 444-8617. Walk-ins welcome. 

Thursday Jan. 20

Theater Talk

Northport Public Library, 151 Laurel Ave., Northport presents a program titled New Hollywood— American New Wave Cinema of the 1970s at 7 p.m. The 1970s brought some of the most momentous films and filmmakers of all time. Historian Greg Blank will explore directors and their films, including Francis Ford Coppola’s The Godfather, Steven Spielberg’s Jaws, and George Lucas’ Star Wars. To register, call 261-6930.

Film

‘Betty White: A Celebration’

In honor of the amazing life and career of Betty White, Fathom Events will bring the documentary Betty White: A Celebration one day only to AMC Stony Brook 17, Regal Ronkonkoma Cinema 9 and Island 16 Cinema de Lux in Holtsville on Jan. 17 at 1 p.m., 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. The film will feature White’s final interview and a behind-the-scenes look at some of her most iconic sitcom roles along with tributes from a star-studded list of celebrities. To order tickets in advance, visit www.fathomevents.com.

Theater

Ken Ludwig’s ‘Baskerville’

The play is afoot! Theatre Three, 412 Main St., Port Jefferson presents Ken Ludwig’s Baskerville: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery from Jan. 8 to Feb. 5. The play is afoot! Comedic genius Ken Ludwig transforms Arthur Conan Doyle’s classic The Hound of the Baskervilles into a murderously funny adventure. Sherlock Holmes is on the case. The Baskerville heirs have been dispatched one by one and, to find their ingenious killer, Holmes and Watson must brave the desolate moors before a family curse dooms its newest descendant. Watch as the intrepid investigators try to escape a dizzying web of clues, silly accents, disguises, and deceit as five actors deftly portray more than forty characters. Join the fun and see how far from elementary the truth can be. Tickets are $35 adults, $28 seniors and students $20 children ages 5 to 12. To order, call 928-9100 or visit www.theatrethree.com. See review on page B16.

‘Rock of Ages’

The John W. Engeman Theater, 250 Main St., Northport presents Rock of Ages from Jan. 27 to March 13. The five-time Tony Award®-nominated Broadway musical smash tells the story of a small-town girl, a city boy, and a rock ‘n’ roll romance on the Sunset Strip. But when the bar where rock reigns supreme is set to be demolished, it’s up to these wannabe rockers and their band of friends to save the day — and the music. Rock of Ages’ electric score features all your favorite ’80s rock anthems and power ballads, including “Every Rose has its Thorn,” “I Wanna Know What Love is,” Here I Go Again,” “Don’t Stop Believin’,” and more! So, get ready to rock and roll all night. Or at least until the curtain goes down. Tickets range from $75 to $80 with free valet parking. To order, call 261-2900 or visit www.engemantheater.com.

Welcome to the first Paw Prints, a monthly column for animal lovers dedicated to helping shelter pets!

Shelter Pets of the Month
Randi

Meet Randi!

This inquisitive young lady is Randi, a 5-year-old tabby available for adoption at Little Shelter Animal Rescue & Adoption Center in Huntington. Randi wants to watch whatever you are doing, and then double-check your work! This beauty likes to play and be pampered. Why not stop by and visit with her? Call 631-368-8770 for more information.

Barney

Meet Barney!

Barney is available for adoption at the Smithtown Animal Shelter. This lowriding handsome man is a Dachshund mix believed to be 10 to 12 years old. He seems to have slight hearing and sight impairments and his hips are significantly arthritic. He is happy to go for walks and be around people and has a fighting spirit. Barney would do best with quiet dogs his size and in a home with older children. Call 631-360-7575.

Rudy and Sophia

Meet Rudy and Sophia!

Rudy, an 11-year-old Yorkie mix, and Sophia, an 11-year-Bassett Hound are up for adoption at Little Shelter in Huntington. These bonded friends eagerly reconnect with wagging tails, swapping stories and catching up on one another’s day before setting off on their walks. Social and outgoing, this duo will expand your world, drawing others into your circle with their charming personalities. They like other dogs and cats and would do best in a home with children ages 12 and up. Call 631-368-8770.

Paw News

Betty White Challenge

Fans of the late Betty White have found a great way to honor the beloved actress. The “Betty White Challenge,” an online event set for Jan. 17, on what would’ve been the TV icon’s 100th birthday, has been gaining steam among fans online. The social media challenge encourages people to donate $5 to their favorite animal shelters and animal-welfare groups in her name. Read more about Betty White on page B23.

Adopt, don’t shop

Each year, it’s estimated that more than one million adoptable dogs and cats are euthanized in the United States, simply because too many pets come into shelters and too few people consider adoption when looking for a pet. The number of euthanized animals could be reduced dramatically if more people adopted pets instead of buying them. When you adopt, you save a loving animal by making them part of your family and open up shelter space for another animal who might desperately need it.

Free adoptions

To celebrate the legacy of Betty White, Little Shelter Animal Rescue, 33 Warner Ave., Huntington will waive adoption fees to qualified adopters for senior cats and dogs, 10 years or older, from Jan. 17 to 21. For more information, call 631-368-8770.

5 tips to keep pets safe and warm this winter

Just as people prepare their homes, cars and families for extreme temperatures and weather events of winter, it’s important to remember pets’ needs this time of year. As cold weather sets in, Dr. Jennifer Freeman, DVM, resident veterinarian at PetSmart, shares these tips to prepare and ensure your pets are warm and happy throughout winter.

Take caution when outdoors

When temperatures reach levels of extreme cold, Freeman recommends limiting outdoor walks and monitoring your pet’s behavior for signs of stress or discomfort. Letting your dog outside to use the bathroom or go for a quick walk is OK, but never leave a pet outside for a long period of time, especially during a winter storm. “Don’t let your dog off its leash after snowfall, as snow can mask familiar scents,” Freeman said. “This can cause your pet to become disoriented or lost if they get too far away.”

Add extra layers

Despite efforts to limit time outdoors, your pet needs to go outside for bathroom breaks and exercise. Pets who are small, short-haired, old or have any health issues or illnesses may be more sensitive to cold weather. Pet sweaters can help keep your pet warm. If your pet is shivering, that’s a sign they need extra layers. To help trap body heat and protect paws from extreme cold, consider using booties when venturing outside.

Watch out for hazardous chemicals

Many people use snow-melting products like deicers, antifreeze and salt, which can cause skin irritation and be fatal if ingested by your pet. Pet parents should keep an eye on their pets when they’re outside and be mindful of hazards. After a walk, it’s important to thoroughly rinse your pet’s paws and stomach especially after walking in areas where these products are frequently used.

Keep skin protected

Just like humans, many pets get dry skin during the winter. When your pet needs a bath, try using a pet-friendly moisturizing shampoo to help keep skin healthy and hydrated. If your pet’s skin seems extra dry, supplements like fish oil can be added to your pets’ food to help the skin and coat. It’s important to keep an eye on skin health and check with your vet if issues persist as they could be signs of larger problems.

Ensure ID information is current

While winter emergencies may add to the importance, it’s crucial your pet wears a tag displaying your phone number year-round. Microchip and register your pet with current contact information and tuck a copy of their vaccination and medical records, veterinary contact information and a current photo in your emergency kit

*Check out the next Paw Prints in the issue of February 10 in print and online.

Writer Beverly C. Tyler, right, with Al Meyer at the wedding of Amy Tyler and John Worrell on June 9, 1996, at the Caroline Church in Setauket. Photo from Beverly C. Tyler

“If ever there is tomorrow when we’re not together … there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think but the most important thing is, even if we’re apart … I’ll always be with you.” — Christopher Robin to Winnie the Pooh (from the 1997 Disney film “Pooh’s Grand Adventure”)

Al Meyer, right, enjoy a walk with Barbara Tyler and his wife, Bonnie, in Munich English Gardens, Germany. August 2000.

I first met Al Meyer when he and his family were living on Main Street in Setauket, just opposite Celia Hawkins’ red barn. It was probably about 1959 when we were both serving in the U.S. Navy as quartermasters and I was home on leave and living with my parents farther north on Main Street. Al served four years on a number of U.S. Navy destroyers where he was also a qualified signalman.

We met again after we both joined the Old Field Point Power Squadron, a safe boating organization, where we spent many years together teaching courses from boat handling to celestial navigation and serving in various capacities where we did many projects together. It was the beginning of a long friendship that eventually included our wives and families. Barbara and I were married in 1962, and Al married Bonnie Robertson in 1966, the same year our first daughter Jennifer was born. Each of our families had two daughters and over the years we boated together with Two Sisters and Mischief — the names of our boats. The girls had good times together on our boats, and in later years we visited their homes and at Al and Bonnie’s for many get-togethers and special occasions.

Al worked mostly at Macy’s and A&S department stores ending up as manager of Macy’s Furniture Clearance Center near Roosevelt Field before retiring in 1997. He had a break for almost a decade in the 1970s when he started his own marine supply company, The Suffolk Boat Locker, along Route 25 in Centereach. This was perfect for me. Al’s store was on my way home from Long Island MacArthur Airport, and I would stop there whenever I could, even finishing two desks for my daughters for one Christmas. I think it actually took me more than a year working in the basement of Al’s store. Being there also gave us more time to talk about family, boating vacations and the local community.

Sometimes, probably too often, I would say, “We should [do this or that]” and Al would come back with, “We — do you have a mouse in your pocket?” It became a phrase Al used a lot, but we actually did many “mouse” projects together over the years with the Old Field Point Power Squadron, Three Village Historical Society, Caroline Episcopal Church and Frank Melville Memorial Park Foundation. Al was the quiet, insightful one. I was the loud “let’s jump into it” one. I guess we were a good combination, at least from my perspective. He was excellent with financial matters and served as treasurer from time to time in all four organizations. Al was the organized one, and he kept me in line with many discussions that prevented me, most of the time, from jumping in with both feet before finding out if it was a good idea. I do remember many evenings together in my cellar running off multiple-page newsletters, photos and cards over the years on my rotary press.

Al was very much at home on the water but didn’t like heights. I wanted to show Al some of the Island from the air, especially the inlets, harbor entrances where we boated and some of the shoal areas we discussed in boating classes. We took a Cessna 150 out of MacArthur Airport, and by the time we landed, Al was gripping the bar on the dash so hard his knuckles were white. I realized then that friends do things together that might be uncomfortable for one or another. Thanks, Al!

In 2000, Al, Bonnie, Barbara and I joined a few other friends on a two-week bus tour of Austria, Germany, Italy and Switzerland, ending with the once-in-a-decade Oberammergau Passion Play. In Switzerland, the entire bus group took a tour up a mountain in a cog railway car. As we traveled up, Al was telling jokes and making the funniest and loudest comments I can ever remember about him. He was usually pretty quiet. He had the whole car in stitches laughing by the time we got to the top. It was Al’s way of getting through the ride with thousand-foot drops on each side all along the route. The area around the ski lodge at the top was beautiful, and we could see cows and hear cowbells echoing off the hills for miles around.

About 2011, Al and Bonnie decided to move near Wilmington, North Carolina, where their daughter Tracy and grandson Griffin live. We missed the parents a lot but were able to get together at their home a number of times and have them stay with us when they came north to see us and the many other friends they have on Long Island. We also stayed in touch by phone and email. Al and I also exchanged many messages about sailing and especially about the America’s Cup competitions which we both followed.

Rest in peace good friend — Albert Henry Meyer. God bless you!

Beverly C. Tyler is a Three Village Historical Society historian and author of books available from the society at 93 North Country Road, Setauket. For more information, call 631-751-3730. or visit www.tvhs.org.

Two person show explores color and chance through sculpture and abstract painting

By Tara Mae

Kicking off 2022, Gallery North explores the beauty born of controlled chaos and how that informs the power, impact, and usage of color through the raku sculptures of Gina Mars of Huntington and the abstract oil paintings of Ellen Hallie Schiff of Glen Cove in an exciting exhibit titled Chroma-Tenacity. The show opens Jan. 13.

Although Mars has a long-standing relationship with Gallery North, it is Schiff’s first exhibition at the gallery, and the pairing provides a unique opportunity for the artists to showcase their work in a way rarely seen, according to Executive Director Ned Puchner. The mixed media display, featuring approximately 53 pieces, was a calculated departure from the gallery’s standard procedure. 

“I am excited to see 3-dimensional work shown at the same time as 2-dimensional work. Often, we segment those things: the former in the gift shop, the latter in the gallery. I love the interplay between 3-D and 2-D; it’s important to me,” he said. 

Despite their different modes of expression, Mars and Schiff’s work shares certain commonalities that are interwoven into overall continuity and themes of Chroma-Tenacity.

“It really has to do with them trying to experiment and stay driven towards the goal of creating something beautiful that contains chaos. The exhaustion that comes with uncertainty runs through how we live right now and also this work,” said Puchner. 

This notion of tranquility in turbulence and meaning in mayhem are continuous themes of Mars and Schiff’s art, from concept to creation, reflected in the process and the final product.

“Control and chance are elements in both of their work. Both artists focus on the importance of color, attention to detail, and creating refined pieces. Gina’s sculptures focus on understanding the chemistry that exists within the glazes and surface texture, yet allowing them to have this spontaneous reaction. Ellen’s work involves destroying things to build them back up,” said curator Kate Schwarting.

Mars primarily works in raku, a sculptural style that involves rapidly firing pottery or sculpture. Her decorative and functional pottery is removed from the kiln at 2000 degrees and put in a covered container with combustibles (Mars likes to use pine needles and newspaper). The smoke interacts with the glaze and creates all different colors. 

Mars makes her own glazes, either color or crackle, which is a white glaze that, upon being taken out of kiln, shrinks in the air causing cracks. When the sculpture is put into the bin, the smoke gets into the cracks and makes incredible hues. 

Her pottery features iridescent glazed bodies and crackle glazed lids.  

“I love to go bold with my work and with color, push the limits of creativity, mixing different mediums. I may use different kinds of glaze firings, or different kinds of materials,” said Mars. “I like to take a lot of risks and [create] the vision that I see in my head; I don’t let anything influence me but my own ideas.”

Schiff is also open to the experience of creation informing her art, rather than adhering to a preconceived plan. Her work captures not only what is there but what is left behind as she applies layers of paint and then scrapes them away to form her works. 

While experimenting with different markings, Schiff has sought to expand her color palette in the past year. 

“I am interested in exploring. I try to really be open to what is happening on the canvas, what may occur, what I may explore with. I am intentional but I am also open to what may happen. I’m starting with the paint, I’m not starting with a narrative. Narrative may develop from putting the paint on the canvas. My work is about color and intention,” she explained. 

This shared willingness to play around with colors, tones, and forms is what first drew Schwarting to assembling this joint exhibition. 

“Gina started branching out in the past year [with] new motifs, materials, and experimenting with her process. I was really drawn to the sculptural elements and the dark surfaces that become luminous. Ellen’s art also evolved — it got brighter. The attention to texture and color is what really stood out to me: earthy, weathered, worn, but with incandescent color. Gina’s art has a very similar feeling to what Ellen has in her paintings. The breadth, range, and simultaneous cohesion of this exhibition make it a truly unique experience and one we are excited to share.”

Exhibition-related programming will include an ArTalk on Location, featuring both artists, to be published on YouTube on Feb. 3 and a one-day pottery workshop with Gina Mars in the Studio on Feb. 4 from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.

Gallery North, 90 North Country Road, Setauket is open Tuesday to Saturday, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 1 to 5 p.m. For more information, call 631-751-2676 or visit www.gallerynorth.org.

Join Sweetbriar Nature Center for Sunday Fun-Day program on Jan. 16.
Programs

Star Quest! 

Calling all brave explorers! The Whaling Museum, 301 Main St.. Cold Spring Harbor presents Star Quest! Thursdays to Sundays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. through Jan. 31 and on MLK Day. Hunt for star constellations around the museum with a spyglass to navigate your journey, just like mariners at sea. Solve puzzles to find your reward — a glittery star lantern you can decorate in our workshop to light your way home. For ages 5 and older. Admission fee plus $10 per participant. Call 367-3418.

Tracks & Traces

Caleb Smith State Park Preserve, 581 W. Jericho Turnpike, Smithtown presents a family program, Tracks & Traces, on Jan. 15 from 1:30 to 3 p.m. What made that footprint? Who’s burrow could this be? What was this animal eating? Children will become nature detectives as they unravel the clues left behind by the park’s wildlife. Create a tracks & traces book filled with your favorite local animal tracks! $4 per person. Advance registration required by calling 265-1054.

Winter Scavenger Hunt

Join the staff at Sunken Meadow State Park, Route 25A and Sunken Meadow Parkway, Kings Park for a family Winter Scavenger Hunt on Jan. 16 from 1:30 to 3 p.m. Search the trails for some of the natural and silly things on their scavenger hunt list. Please dress for the weather. $4 per person. Advance registration required by visiting Eventbrite.com and search #NatureEdventure.

Open Play at the Explorium

The Long Island Explorium, 101 E. Broadway, Port Jefferson will present a series of hands-on interactive STEM explorations centered on the importance of the Tundra Biome and the interactions between the climate, living things, and the layers that exist beneath them all on Saturdays and Sundays from 1 to 5 p.m. throughout January. Hands-on activities, crafts, and more! $5 per person. Call 331-3277 for further details.

Sunday Fun-Day

Join Sweetbriar Nature Center, 62 Eckernkamp Drive, Smithtown for a Sunday Fun-Day program titled Animal Interviews with animal riddles and fun animal facts on Jan. 16 from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Children will meet fuzzy, scaly, feathery and even spikey friends during this hour-long indoor program. Best suited for ages 5 to 7. $10 per child, $5 per adult. To register, visit www.sweetbriarnc.org. Call 979-6344 for more information.

Fact vs. Fiction Scavenger Hunt 

Cold Spring Harbor Fish Hatchery, 1660 Route 25A, Cold Spring Harbor presents a Fact vs. Fiction Scavenger Hunt: All Things Amphibians on Jan. 17 between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Admission fee is $7 adults, $6 seniors, $5 ages 3 to 12. Call 516-692-6768.

Owl Prowl

Sweetbriar Nature Center, 62 Eckernkamp Drive, Smithtown invites the community to an Owl Prowl on Jan. 20 from 6 to 8 p.m. Meet and learn about some of the resident owls at the center and embark on a walk into the darkness to enjoy the night and maybe call in an owl or two.  Dress warmly, wear bug spray, and bring a flashlight just in case. Open to families with children ages 5 years old and up. $15 per person. To register, visit www.sweetbriarnc.org. For more info, call 979-6344.

Self-Serve Family Crafts

Drop by the Whaling Museum, 301 Main St., Cold Spring Harbor Thursdays to Sundays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. through Jan. 31 and on MLK Day to enjoy seasonal, self-serve crafts in their workshop. Sit and create with family time! Free with admission of $6 adults, $5 kids and seniors. Members free. Call 367-3418 for more information. 

Theater

‘Frozen Jr.’

Do you want to build a snowman? The Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts, 2 E. Main St., Smithtown will present Disney’s Frozen Jr. from Nov. 20 to Jan. 17. A story of true love and acceptance between sisters, Frozen Jr. expands upon the emotional relationship and journey between Princesses Anna and Elsa. When faced with danger, the two discover their hidden potential and the powerful bond of sisterhood. With a cast of beloved characters and loaded with magic, adventure, and plenty of humor, Frozen Jr. is sure to thaw even the coldest heart! Tickets are $25. Call 724-3700 or visit www.smithtownpac.org.

‘Puss-In-Boots’ 

Illustration by Heather Kuhn

Theatre Three, 412 Main St., Port Jefferson continues its children’s theatre with Puss-In-Boots on Jan. 16  a hilarious re-telling of the tale of a boy and his ingenious feline. When Christopher inherits his father’s cat, he sets out on an adventure that takes him to the palace of King Vexmus and beyond. Join them as this clever cat teaches us that faith comes from within. Performances will be held on Saturdays, Jan. 22, 29 and Feb. 5 at 11 a.m. and Sunday, Jan. 23 at 3 p.m. with a sensory sensitive performance on Jan. 16 at 11 a.m. All seats are $10. To order, call 928-9100 or visit www.theatrethree.com.

Visitors to West Meadow Beach take a stroll down Trustees Road. Photo by Raina Angelier

By Cayla Rosenhagen

Cayla Rosenhagen

As we embark on a new year, many of us have resolved to make this year better than the last. Let’s aim to make 2022 a year to smile more and support our neighbors as well as the planet. Our community has so much to offer in helping us achieve our goals. I’d like to share some of my favorite environmentally conscious, self-care resolutions. 

Improve Your Diet and Shop at Local Farmers’ Markets

Looking for a way to support local businesses, enhance your eating habits, and save the planet? Look no further than the Port Jefferson Winter Farmers Market held on Sundays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Village Center, 101-A East Broadway, Port Jefferson through April 25 and the Huntington Farmers Market open on Sundays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the John J. Flanagan Center, 423 Park Avenue, Huntington. Buying from local vendors has many advantages. Not only are you purchasing a wide variety of nutritious, in-season goods, but you are also supporting the local economy. In addition, you are contributing to energy conservation since local vendors don’t have to transport their products over long distances. 

Get Fit in the Great Outdoors 

Frank Melville Memorial Park. Photo by Cayla Rosenhagen

The ever-popular resolution to start or improve an exercise regimen can have physical, mental, and emotional health benefits. And the green spaces of Long Island’s north shore provide an ideal setting to accomplish your workout goals. With so many to choose from, I’d like to share some of my top picks. 

Historic Frank Melville Memorial Park in Setauket offers a picturesque, 0.4-mile, paved loop around Mill Pond. Enjoy the local wildlife, such as ducks, songbirds, deer, and turtles, within easy view. Only minutes away is Trustees Road at West Meadow Beach in Stony Brook. Formerly home to beachfront cottages, the road is now closed off to car traffic. The paved, scenic, 1-mile path is a popular destination for walking, jogging, biking, and skating, and getting a dose of Vitamin “Sea.”

Setauket Greenway Trail. Photo by Raina Angelier

Stretching 3.5 miles through old-growth forests and neighborhoods, the Setauket to Port Jefferson Station Greenway has trailheads with parking at Limroy Lane in Setauket and Hallock Avenue and Main Street in Port Jefferson Station. On any given day, you can find joggers, families pushing strollers, bicyclists, and people out for a walk with their pooches on this hilly, paved path. If you are looking for a wider array of surfaces and difficulty levels, Sunken Meadow State Park in Kings Park is the place for you. Choose from taking a stroll along their well-maintained, 0.75-mile boardwalk along the Sound, or hiking the many miles of wooded trails, some of which offer challenging inclines. 

Whether you decide to visit one of these parks or one of LI’s dozens more, be sure to keep the health of Mother Nature in mind. Abide by the “leave only footprints” rule and please be mindful of parks where no pets are permitted. If they are allowed, keep your pets leashed and pick up after them. Go that extra mile by toting a reusable water bottle, as opposed to a disposable, plastic one, and bring along something to pick up any litter you may encounter. 

Embrace Your Green Thumb

Oriole on Native Mulberry Tree. Photo by Raina Angeiler

Despite the chilly weather, now is the perfect time to begin planning your own backyard garden. There is no greater satisfaction than eating a homegrown tomato fresh from the vine. In the most literal sense, you get to reap what you sow. Not only will you save money on your produce bill, but gardening is also a natural stress reliever. Beyond the veggie garden, consider planting native plants and making eco-friendly decisions in how you care for your yard. 

For example, traditional fertilizer often finds its way into our water supply and causes a multitude of health issues for us and the planet. Composting is a much safer option. Native plants are evolutionarily designed to thrive in our climate and therefore require less care and less water. To go a step further, make your property a haven for wildlife by providing edible native plants, a water source, and plenty of shelter. By encouraging wildlife such as birds and bats to your yard, these critters will return the favor by eating up the pesky bugs in your yard. This is a wonderful alternative to dangerous pesticides. Reach out to Four Harbors Audubon Society for assistance with this through their “Bird Oasis” program. Visit their website at https://4has.org/bird-oasis.

Prize-winning fruits and vegetables in the horticulture division at a 3VGC Exhibit. Photo by Cayla Rosenhagen

No room to garden at your residence? No problem. How about participating in a community garden? In addition to getting to know fellow neighborhood gardeners, you will also get the chance to learn from experts. I recently spoke with Ann Pellegrino, the president of Hobbs Farm in Centereach. Here, you can volunteer your time to work in their fields without committing to being the sole caretaker of an individual plot. Your efforts can contribute to supplying local soup kitchens and food pantries with about 30,000lbs of organically grown produce annually. If you’re unable to volunteer your time but looking to support the mission of Hobbs Farm while supporting your health, purchase a Community Supported Agriculture membership to receive farm-fresh produce weekly. The farm also runs a farm-stand during the warmer weather. For more information, visit https://hobbsfarm.info.

Cornell Cooperative Extension of Suffolk County is a valuable resource for new and experienced gardeners. In speaking with Roxanne Zimmer, the community horticulture specialist, I learned the cooperative extension offers a variety of learning opportunities at public libraries and you don’t need to be a patron of that library to attend. For anyone interested in becoming a Master Gardener, CCE Suffolk will be accepting applications for their 16-week training program until January 31. More info can be found at ccesuffolk.org/gardening/community-gardens-in-suffolk-county.

Joining the Three Village Garden Club is another wonderful way to learn more about horticulture. They offer a variety of classes, gatherings, and exhibits. The club dates back almost a century and will resume its meetings at the Setauket Neighborhood House in early spring. More info to come soon. 

Reduce Your Meat and Dairy Intake

The animal agriculture industry produces more greenhouse gases than the world’s vehicle exhaust. Aside from this, natural habitats worldwide, including the oxygen-producing rainforests in South America, are being torn down to create pastures for livestock to graze in, dislocating thousands of native species. By partaking in “Meatless Mondays” or simply reducing your meat and dairy intake all-around, you can be part of a worldwide movement to slow the progress of global warming and depletion of the ozone layer. 

Vegan Artichoke Spinach Fettuccine

Reducing your intake of red meat and other animal products has also been scientifically proven to have a plethora of health benefits. Some of these include reduced risk of having a stroke, heart disease, and obesity. Challenge yourself to get creative in the kitchen with vegan and vegetarian recipes with the produce you purchase at local farmers’ markets. Take advantage of the fabulous, free cooking classes presented by our local libraries featuring vegetarian cuisine ranging from veggie stromboli at Middle Country Public Library to vegetable empanadas at Emma S. Clark Memorial Library. Check out your local library’s webpage for more information.

Pay it Forward

Reflect and give thanks by donating to a cause that embraces what’s important to you. Being charitable is not only a gift to others but a gift to yourself. According to multiple studies from around the globe, generous behavior is linked to a happier, healthier, more satisfying, and less stressful life. Whether you make a monetary contribution, a donation of goods, or choose to volunteer your time, there are plenty of local charities that would be grateful for your support. Here are some ideas to consider.

Have some clothing or furniture you no longer use? Angela’s House is a non-profit which assists families with medically frail children and will gladly accept these items for their fundraising Home Store located in Medford. Visit https://www.angelashouse.org to learn more about their mission and ways you can help. Looking for a way to help furry friends? There are many ways to support Save-A-Pet Animal Rescue and Adoption Center in Port Jefferson Station, including financially, assisting with animal care, and donating items from their Wish List. See https://www.saveapetli.net for more information. 

Interested in donating to an organization that benefits many causes? The Harry Chapin Foundation in Huntington awards grants to charities supporting agriculture, the arts, education, and environmental causes. Donate through their website at https://harrychapinfoundation.org. 

In saying goodbye to 2021, let us welcome the new year with these simple, yet impactful resolutions for a happier and healthier you, an even stronger community, and a greener Earth. Happy New Year, everyone!

Cayla Rosenhagen is a local high school student who enjoys capturing the unique charm of the community through photography and journalism. She serves on the board of directors for the Four Harbors Audubon Society and Brookhaven’s Youth Board, and is the founder and coordinator of Beach Bucket Brigade, a community outreach program dedicated to environmental awareness, engagement, and education. She is also an avid birder, hiker, and artist who is concurrently enrolled in college, pursuing a degree in teaching.

Elijah Olaniyi during Saturday's game. Photo from Stony Brook Athletics

Leading by as much as 21 in the second half, the Stony Brook men’s basketball program was able to hold off a Maine run that saw the lead cut as close as five en route to a win in the America East opener, 80-72, on Jan. 8 at Island Federal Arena.

Elijah Olaniyi and Tykei Greene led the Seawolves with 16 points apiece, two of five players in double figures for the home team. Olaniyi, in his return, also recorded five rebounds, two steals and a big block to seal the game late.

Greene finished a rebound away from a double-double, hauling in a team-high nine rebounds to aid Stony Brook’s advantage on the glass. The Seawolves flew ahead to a 64-43 lead with 9:06 to go after a Greene free throw but Maine rallied back to 73-68 but Stony Brook would not let them get closer than that.

Stony Brook now sits 9-5 on the season, winners of six of its last seven.

“Thrilled we won,” said head coach Geno Ford.”I think we felt like at the ten-minute mark we huddled up and were concerned that the crowd might leave early, so we wanted to keep them until the end. I wish that was it, but I give Maine credit. They kept playing and we didn’t do as good of enough job, obviously. We only had 11 turnovers, we were 16-of-20 from the foul line but it felt like they were all in one little bunched up stretch where the game was able to get tightened down. When it did get to a one or two possession game, Elijah had a huge play, Jahlil had a huge deflection where Juan stole it after we turned it over and we were able to get it back and get fouled. There were more positives than negatives and anytime you win a conference game they don’t give you bonus points for winning by a certain amount. Happy to move and get on to the next one, clearly we have somethings we need to clean up.” 

Up next, the team headed to Burlington Vermont on Jan. 12 for a matchup that pits the top two teams in the America East preseason poll. Results were not available as of press time.

By Barbara Anne Kirshner

Gothic!

Thrilling!

Suspenseful!

Wait a minute — It’s a comedy!!

It’s hilarious Ken Ludwig’s Baskerville: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery now playing at Theatre Three in Port Jefferson.

“Mr. Holmes, they were the footprints of a gigantic hound!” That exclamation conjures up ominous chords and the audience is immediately immersed in the murder mystery at bleak Baskerville Hall perched on the edge of the desolate fog-laden moors.

In Ken Ludwig’s (Lend Me A Tenor, Moon Over Buffalo, Crazy for You) adaptation of the 1901 Sir Arthur Conan Doyle novel The Hound of the Baskervilles, he brilliantly takes this gothic classic and infuses it with comedy making for spine-tinglingly funny results.

The searching questions, who killed Sir Charles Baskerville and is there a legendary hound haunting Baskerville Hall, must be answered before another heir is murdered. Enter Sherlock Holmes (Evan Donnellan) and his sidekick, Dr. Watson, I presume, (Kevin Callahan). The brave duo ferret through contradicting clues and a host of suspicious characters in efforts to protect Henry Baskerville, the next heir who has just arrived from Texas. 

Donnellan takes the stage in grandiose style. His Holmes is sly, elegant and capable. When he says he knows the print of every paper in the country, we believe him. Kevin Callahan’s Doctor Watson is so much fun. He tries to keep up with Holmes though often bungles, adding to the laughs, but his genuine investigative spirit makes him the perfect sidekick to Holmes. Together they are an invincible pair despite the labyrinth of deceit and intrigue they must face in attempting to solve this crime.

The original Conan Doyle mystery is chock full of characters all necessary in creating red herrings that keep the reader guessing until the final page. Ludwig realized he would need numerous characters to tell the story, so he inventively reduced his adaptation down to five actors — Holmes, Watson and the other three playing more than forty roles. 

This challenge calls for extraordinary performers who must instantly change costumes while also changing accents, physicality and intentions, all the while making the audience believe each of their characters. 

Director Christine Boehm has accomplished just that by assembling an outstanding supporting cast — Jonathan Sawyer Coffin, Elena Faverio and Ana McCasland — who change costumes as easily as they transform into different personas. This high energy threesome bounce snappy lines into the air wrapped in an array of accents. 

Faverio’s German accent as Mrs. Barrymore is hysterically reminiscent of Cloris Leachman’s Frau Blücher in Young Frankenstein. Coffin’s booming southern drawl is a comical contradiction for the next in line of the Baskerville fortune. McCasland takes on the proper English of Dr. Mortimer as easily as she emotes the Castilian of the hotel proprietor. These outrageously high camp performances are met with rapturous laughter and applause from the audience that builds to an enthusiastic crescendo at curtain call.

Randall Parsons’ scenic design gives the necessary gothic feel with a gray backdrop detailed in swirls of black suggesting impending fog blanketing the moor. A giant screen, center, ingeniously projects settings and events. Lighting design by Robert Henderson, Jr. sets the eerie mood, then stirs things up with flashes of bright lights.

Chakira Doherty’s costume and wig designs are masterfully crafted. Actors, portraying numerous characters, must change in an instant and Doherty’s well-thought-out garments and coiffures make this task possible.

Tim Haggerty’s sound design is essential in instilling chills. Whether it be the cacophonous howling hound to the staccato of the chugging train to a deafening explosion, these sound effects build in both suspense and humor.

Since simplicity is key to this production, properties play a major part and Heather Rose Kuhn creatively plants scenes with the use of sparse props. A train is depicted with only a well-placed bench that morphs easily into a bed at Baskerville Hall for the next scene. A counter glides in and out representing Northumberland Hotel and giant wheels appear when Holmes refers to a cab.

All the twists and turns are captivating and hysterical as we follow Holmes and Watson to a startling conclusion that even gives way to an unexpected epilogue. So, take out your spyglass and join the intrepid pair on this thrilling and uproarious caper!

Theatre Three, 412 Main St., Port Jefferson presents Ken Ludwig’s Baskerville: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery through Feb. 5. Tickets are $35 adults, $28 seniors and students, $20 children ages 5 and up. For more information, call 631-928-9100 or visit www.theatrethree.com.

See a sneak peek of the show here!

METRO photo

As the holiday break began to wind down and COVID-19 infection rates climbed, many parents hoped their children would be learning remotely for a week or two instead of returning to their classrooms.

Many feared that their children would get sick if they returned to school buildings and hoped that their districts would take advantage of their past remote learning experiences and allow students to return to a virtual classroom temporarily — just long enough for the holiday virus surge to pass.

While a few schools on Long Island did switch to remote and other districts offered an option, many school officials opened the doors to their classrooms as if they didn’t have a clue as to how to use alternative methods to educate.

Many people would agree that learning during the pandemic for a majority of students was difficult when a day at school meant logging into a computer instead of boarding a bus. The ideal option is to be seated in a classroom. However, in the worst of times, such as the world continuing to fight a virus that could be deadly to some, would switching to remote learning for a week or two be so harmful?

To keep our children and their families safe, school districts should be at the ready to switch to remote learning when infection rates soar. While health officials can advise not to gather during the holidays, is it such a terrible thing to allow people to be with their loved ones and then look at a screen when school is back in session?

Technology has made it possible to continue learning and working during difficult times such as these. Perfecting remote techniques and always being prepared to use them means that learning, working, basic health care and more can continue no matter what is going on around us, except for maybe a power outage.

And with more employers offering work-from-home options, many parents will be able to watch their children in the house if their children need to log into a computer to connect with their classroom. Which in turn, eliminates the old snow or sick day problem of who is going to watch the kids.

It’s been said many times during the pandemic that maybe instead of getting back to normal, it might be better to embrace a new normal. Let’s retain the lessons we have learned the last two years and increase our country’s chances of soon enjoying good times once again.