Community

After nearly 75 years of operating in East Northport as a family-owned business, providing high-quality floral service, Beckman’s Florist made the difficult decision to retire and sell their building at 364 Larkfield Road.

The Beckman’s name and tradition will not be traveling too far, in fact staying on the same road, as they have been acquired by neighboring florist and nursery, and fellow family-owned and operated business, Seasonal ‘Scapes LI, located at 638 Larkfield Road. 

Beckman’s Florist will now be a division of Seasonal ‘Scapes LI’s existing Florist & Garden Center, which will allow Seasonal ‘Scapes LI to further develop its florist shop, plan special events like weddings and birthdays, provide sympathy flowers for families experiencing loss, and more. 

“Blending the fabrics of these two great families and businesses will allow Seasonal ‘Scapes LI to continue to serve our community with the top-notch service and quality that we strive to achieve and that residents have appreciated from Beckman’s nearly 75 years in business,” said James Tomeo, Owner of Seasonal ‘Scapes LI. 

Mother’s Day, end of the school year festivities, and other special occasions are just around the corner. Seasonal ‘Scapes LI is here to assist you with all your floral needs. You can place your orders early by calling 631-888-3655 or online at www.seasonalscapesflorist.com.

Carol Keil (second from left) is honored by the Girl Scouts of Suffolk County. Photo courtesy of Girl Scouts of Suffolk County

Carol Keil has personally mentored thousands of Long Island Girl Scouts

The Girl Scouts of Suffolk County honored Carol Keil of Huntington or her 50 years of service at its annual Volunteer Appreciation & Awards Dinner, held in Holbrook on April 19.

The Girl Scouts also created a new award in her honor, the Carol Keil Service Award.

Carol is a native Long Islander, born and raised in Mattituck. She says she was never able to be a Girl Scout growing up. Instead, she got involved when her daughters wanted to join the Girl Scouts.

“When my second oldest daughter was a Girl Scout and the troop leader was leaving, I said I would take her place as long as another mom would do it. Today that mom is my best friend.” Carol led that troop for 16 years and later rose to leadership positions in Suffolk County and at the Girl Scouts of USA.

Among her fondest memories is a trip to Washington DC, where one of her 5th grade girls was afraid to go up into the Washington Monument. Carol assured her she and the other leaders would hold her hand the entire time if she went up, and she got onto the elevator and took the ride. On the way home on the bus, Carol found a serving kit and invented a “Fear of Heights” badge which she sewed onto the girl’s sash in celebration of her conquering her fear. That girl, Linda Grasso, is now a science teacher at Half Hollow Hills High School.

“I remember Ms. Keil helping me that day,” says Grasso. “It had an impact on me that I never forgot and taught me I can do just about anything.”

Carol says she has always sought to teach and inspire the girls in her troops – which she humbly admits could be in the thousands. She also helped to create a badge for substance abuse prevention, which is now among the dozens of achievement badges available to Girl Scouts.

“Girl Scouts allows for ingenuity. It inspires young women to invent their future. I’m proud that I could be a part of that.”

The evening honored 300 other volunteers for their service to the Girl Scouts of Suffolk County.

“We are indebted to the volunteers who help our girls grow into inspired young women,” said Tammy Severino, CEO, Girl Scouts of Suffolk County. “Volunteers help our Girl Scouts learn to appreciate the outdoors, develop life skills, leadership and entrepreneurial skills as well as pursue STEM and the arts.”

About Girl Scouts of Suffolk County 

Since 1968, Girl Scouts of Suffolk County has been committed to building girls of courage, confidence, and character who make the world a better place. With over 15,000 members, they are one of the largest youth-serving agencies in Suffolk County. Girl Scouts helps girls develop their full individual potential; relate to others with increasing understanding, skill, and respect; develop values to guide their actions and provide the foundation for sound decision making; and contribute to the improvement of society through their abilities, leadership skills, and cooperation with others. For more information about the Girl Scouts of Suffolk County, please call (631) 543-6622 or visit www.gssc.us.

Photo from Gallery North

By Tara Mae

Beach trash becomes community treasure when Gallery North partners with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Long Island, Atlantic Marine Conservancy, and Center for Environmental Education and Discovery (CEED) to sponsor beach cleanups at the Flax Pond Tidal Wetland Area, 15 Shore Drive, Old Field on Saturday, April 27, and Smith Point Beach, 1 William Floyd Parkway,  Shirley on Sunday, April 28. 

Each clean-up will be conducted in two shifts starting at 9 a.m. and 10:30 am each day. Atlantic Marine Conservancy will provide 50 buckets and trash pickers to volunteers on a first come, first serves basis. 

The cleanups are the brainchild of artist Jack D’Ambrosio, a native of Shirley, who will upcycle gathered plastic garbage into a found object sculpture. With the presentation of repurposed refuse, he hopes to bring awareness to the ongoing dangers of plastic pollution.

“Art is a great way to spread a message and support a cause,” he said. 

Primarily a printmaker, beach cleanups are just one element of D’Ambrosio’s interest in supporting communities through artistic expression. His artistry is immersed in an awareness of illuminating social issues by centering often overlooked subjects. While previous print projects have incorporated found plastic, he has never worked on a sculpture of this scale before. Such an undertaking of reinvention offers D’Ambrosio the chance to create poetic permanence out of problematic potential, an outcome that intrigues Gallery North. 

“The beach cleanup is an opportunity for Gallery North to impact and beautify the community in a different way,” Executive Director Ned Puchner said. “We have never done anything like this before…beyond that, we will be helping to preserve the ecology of the area, making the waterways and beaches cleaner.”

Once the trash has been amassed, D’Ambrosio will sort it and share the loot on Gallery North’s social media. After properly disposing of the non-plastic items, he will clean the plastic articles for the sculpture, the design of which has yet to take shape. 

“I am waiting to see what we find,” D’Ambrosio explained.  Intended to be a permanent installation, the sculpture’s final home is also yet to be determined. “This is a project of many partners, and once plans are drawn up, I will collaborate with one of them to find a location for the piece,” he added. 

A recipient of Gallery North’s 2023 Carmela Kolman Fellowship in Fine Art, in his application D’Ambrosio initially proposed the cleanup and its culmination. 

“Jack shared his desire to involve the community in a beach clean up when he applied for the fellowship and that excited the committee…We were moved by the conceptual aspect of Jack’s work. His idea to use art to educate the community on stewardship interested us,” Gallery North Education Director Larissa Grass said. 

At its core, the beach cleanup/sculpture exercise underscores the need for individual engagement and interpersonal cooperation to ensure the environment and art do not just survive, but thrive. 

“During the pandemic, I went to the beach seeking inspiration. Instead I found garbage. This experience made me want to do something with it, since it will never, ever go away,” D’Ambrosio said. “…I really encourage people to come join us on this journey.”

The clean-ups will be a rain or shine event. Pre-registration is encouraged by visiting www.gallerynorth.org. For more information, call 631-751-2676.

The Jazz Loft

May is blooming with talent at The Jazz Loft, as the month’s calendar of events offers something for everyone. The Jazz Loft’s popular Strictly Sinatra shows return, with a first-time ever afternoon show! Sinatra shows are May 2,3 and two shows on May 4. The Jazz Loft founder Tom Manuel will also be spinning some rare jazz tunes in the Coal Bin, along with mixing up some signature cocktails where Hangoutology Meets Mixology, on May 23.

Wednesday, May 1 at 7 p.m.

Jam Session at the Jazz Loft

The Jazz Loft Trio lead by Keenan Zach.

Tickets $10, $5 after 8 p.m.

Thursday, May 2, 7 p.m.

Strictly Sinatra

17-piece big band directed by Jazz Loft Director Tom Manuel (trumpet) with Pete Caldera on vocals

Tickets: $40 adults; $35 seniors; $30 students; $25 children and children under 5 years old are free.

Friday, May 3, 7 p.m.

Strictly Sinatra

17-piece big band directed by Jazz Loft Director Tom Manuel (trumpet) with Pete Caldera on vocals

Tickets: $40 adults; $35 seniors; $30 students; $25 children and children under 5 years old are free.

Saturday, May 4, 2 p.m.

Strictly Sinatra

Saturday, May 4, 7 p.m.

Strictly Sinatra

Wednesday, May 8 at 7 p.m.

Wednesday, May 15 at 7 p.m.

Thursday, May 16, 7 p.m.

The Bad Little Big Band

12-piece band featuring vocalist Madeline Kole, directed by composer, arranger and pianist Rich Iacona

Tickets: Adults $30; Seniors $25; Students $20; Children $15

Friday, May 17, 7 p.m.

Jamile Staevie Ayres, vocals; Miki Yamanaka on piano; Mikey Migliore on bass and JK Kim on drums

Saturday, May 18, 7 p.m.

The Jazz Loft Big Band with special guests Rich DeRosa and Warren Vache

Wednesday, May 22, 7 p.m.

Thursday, May 23, 7 p.m.

Hangoutology Meets Mixology

Tom Manuel hosts vintage cocktails and a listening session in the Coal Bin, spinning rare, unreleased master acetates from the 1930’s through 1960’s.

Tickets are $100.

Wednesday, May 29, 7 p.m.

Thursday, May 30, 7 p.m.

Interplay Jazz Orchestra

17-piece orchestra by Joe Devassy, trombone; Gary Henderson, trumpet

Friday, May 31 7 p.m.

The Bill Mays Trio, with Bill Mays on piano; Dean Johnson on bass; and Ron Vincent on drums

The Jazz Loft is located at 275 Christian Avenue in Stony Brook. For all ticket info, visit: https://www.thejazzloft.org/tickets

For more information, call 631-751-1895.

North Shore Public Library. File photo

By Ernestine Franco

The North Shore Library held its annual budget and trustee election on Tuesday, April 9, from 9:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. 

The vote was held in one of the rooms of the library, which is located next to the Shoreham-Wading River High School.

The total budget was $3,936,406, with revenues of $231,645, which leaves $3,704,761 to be funded by taxation. This is a $96,745 increase over last year’s budget. The budget passed with 168 in favor and 52 against. There was only one trustee position to fill, with two people running. Charlotte Karpf-Fritts garnered 112 votes and Andrew Breslin with 92 votes.

When asked why she had run, Karpf-Fritts said she wanted “to help make the library a great place for people to visit.” In addition, she wanted to see someone from Sound Beach represented on the board. Her new position will start in July.

File photo

By Rabbi Aaron D. Benson

In my opinion any holiday that includes matzoh ball soup is bound to be popular. Passover, which begins Monday night, April 22, features this dish, made with matzoh unleavened bread. The holiday is not just popular but is revered by Jews and non-Jews alike for its overarching theme of freedom. The ancient Israelites were enslaved in Egypt yet God, through the prophet Moses, freed them. As a reminder of this miracle, Jews refrain from eating anything baked with leaven and instead eat matzoh, the simple bread of slaves.  

For Americans, Passover resonates because freedom is a virtue at the core of our country’s identity. Being a citizen is defined as having freedom of religion, of speech, of press and of assembly. Quite literally “revolutionary” when first adopted, the principles in our Constitution, especially the Bill of Rights, have spread these standards of freedom and human dignity around the world.

The Bible’s message about freedom in the Passover story has a slightly different emphasis. It is not at odds with the American view, but it reminds us of a key aspect of freedom. Moses’ famous message from God demanding that Pharaoh, “Let My [God’s] people go,” is usually quoted without its conclusion, “that they may serve Me [God.]” 

When the Jews were finally freed from Egypt, it wasn’t so they could “let loose” after generations of enslavement. Such a life of abandon isn’t any true kind of freedom. Upon leaving Egypt, the Jews set out into the wilderness, eventually to come to Mount Sinai and there receive the Ten Commandments. To take on the responsibility of freedom. To accept laws that will build a society not of oppression, nor of indulgence, but one of respect and concern and common purpose. The Jews would march on, eventually coming to Israel, where they would settle and start to build a society based around the freedom to be responsible. Helping others isn’t a burden. Respecting them isn’t an imposition. Acknowledging that my own humanity is lessened if I do not also care for yours.

Whether you are celebrating Passover this year or not, make yourself a nice bowl of matzoh ball soup. And then, whether you’re celebrating or not, find someone to share that soup with, maybe even a lot of people, maybe even people who seem different from us. Freedom teaches us that we aren’t so different. At some point, we will all need help in our lives, and at some point we all can offer help. Let’s share that responsibility together, along with the matzoh ball soup.

Aaron Benson is the rabbi at North Shore Jewish Center, based in Port Jefferson Station. 

Rabbi Margie Cella. Photo courtesy Margie Cella

By Rita J. Egan

For Rabbi Margie Cella, the path to serve her congregation differed slightly from other rabbis.

At the annual Jewish University for a Day held at Stony Brook University on Sunday, April 7, Cella shared with attendees her experiences when converting from Lutheranism to Judaism and ultimately becoming a rabbi. The Port Jefferson Station resident, who taught math for 30 years, became a part-time rabbi with The Jewish Center of the Moriches in Center Moriches and an educator with the Women’s League for Conservative Judaism in the last few years. Her new career blossomed after she wrote the book “Hindsight Is 2020: Torah Lessons from a Turbulent Time.”

In a recent phone interview with TBR News Media, she discussed her decision to convert to Judaism and how she became a rabbi after working as a math teacher for 30 years.

The journey from the Lutheran Church to Judaism

Growing up in Massapequa, Cella attended St. John’s Lutheran Church with her family. Her father was raised a Lutheran, and her mother converted from Catholicism to Lutheranism after she married Cella’s father. The rabbi said her mother devoted herself to the Lutheran Church, which became part of the family’s social life in many ways,

“It was a big part of our life growing up,” she said. “We went every Sunday, and I went to Sunday school.”

Her husband, Raymond, who was raised Roman Catholic, joined the Lutheran Church after it began morphing into a mixture of Christianity and Judaism. In 1982, the Cellas along with their children, Jessica and Benjamin, converted to Judaism after realizing St. John’s church was becoming more like a cult, according to Cella.

At its peak, the rabbi said the congregation included approximately 2,000 members from every denomination. People came from all over Long Island, the five boroughs, Westchester as well as out of state to attend services. She added while it was the way she was introduced to Jewish practices, due to the mixture of Judaism and Christianity, she felt “it was inauthentic to both religions.”

“I don’t think that it is actually possible to practice both religions, because they diverged so much,” Cella said.

However, as the church changed, Cella said she did a “total 180” initially and became involved, at times she felt due to peer pressure. After being part of the mixture of religions for 11 years, she said the church “gradually morphed [as] more and more Jewish practice was introduced.”

She added, “Christianity was emphasized and spoken about less and less, so when we left there … we were faced with a decision, where do we go and what do we do?”

After realizing they were traumatized by the experience, Cella said she and her husband knew “the one thing that made sense to us out of everything that we were doing were the Jewish practices we were observing.”

Once they decided to convert, the couple talked to Rabbi Moshe Edelman, who led the congregation of North Shore Jewish Center at the time, to ask what they needed to do. The conversion included a course of study and practice for at least a year, such as studying the basics of the Jewish religion and observing the practices.

“Now, in our case, we were already observing a lot,” she said. “It was just we had a lot of misconceptions.”

At the end of their studies, the couple was interviewed by a rabbi and two congregants. Soon after, a ceremony marked their conversion by immersing them in water using a mikvah.

From teaching math to leading congregants

Cella and her husband moved to Maryland soon after they were married. They were both certified teachers. However, according to the rabbi, there were no available teaching positions on Long Island at the time. After living in Maryland for approximately a year, the couple moved back to Long Island, living in Coram and then Miller Place until they moved to Port Jefferson Station in 1985.

When the couple first returned, there were still few teaching jobs, so Cella worked in retail until she had her first child. She stopped working for a few years and returned to teaching after her second child was 3.

The rabbi said while it may have taken nine years after graduating from college in 1975 to begin her teaching career in New York, in total she spent 30 years as a math teacher. The rabbi taught at William Paca Middle School in Mastic Beach, North Babylon High School, Bridgehampton High School and for the last 25 years at Southampton High School.

It was after she retired from teaching, that Cella began her studies to become a rabbi. She said for 25 years she thought about going to rabbinical school, but it wasn’t practical with raising a family and the necessity of being a two-income family. 

She attended the Jewish Theological Seminary of America, describing the five-year program at a school in Manhattan as “intensive.” For the first four of the five years she studied, she traveled into the city and attended every weekday except Friday. She also lived and studied in Jerusalem for one semester. She now holds master’s degrees in Bible and rabbinic ordination and was ordained in May 2019.

Cella said her 30 years of teaching comes in handy. One example is instead of a sermon for Shabbat, she said hers is more like a study of a week’s Torah portion, which is interactive, involving the congregants in the discussion.

Reflecting on the Torah leads to publication

Before leading The Jewish Center of the Moriches, during the COVID-19 mandatory shutdowns, Cella said North Shore Jewish Center’s Rabbi Aaron Benson reached out and asked if she could help him sustain the congregation while they could not attend in-person services.

“I had this idea, because I have always been a lover of text and a lover of teaching, I decided to do a daily study of part of that week’s Torah portion,” she said.

The rabbi added that each Torah portion is divided into seven parts, making studying a portion each day ideal.

“I would write about it, and I would relate it not only to what it said in the Torah portion, but where possible, I would relate it to what was going on in the world at that time, because that was a unique year,” Cella said.

Her writings were emailed to the congregation every day. When members were able to return to the synagogue to worship, Cella said she decided she wanted to finish what she started.

“It takes a full year to go through the whole cycle of the Torah, and that’s what I did,” she said. “I wrote basically every day for a year. I wrote on every piece of every Torah portion, the entire Torah, over the course of a year, and it wasn’t until I got to the end that I said to myself, ‘I think I have the makings of a book here.’”

Cella said she learned a good deal from her book-writing experience.

“I think now that we’ve returned to what we call normal — or the new normal — I think that a lot of times we tend to forget the lessons that we learned from that year,” she said. “There were a lot of really profound things that we could take away from that year because nobody ever anticipated we would have something like that in our lifetimes. It wasn’t just COVID, there was so much else going on that year. There was political unrest in the country. There was social unrest in the country. There was so much going on. That all shows up in my book.”

The rabbi said she also feels it’s important to talk about her life as she did on April 7, as she believes it’s a cautionary tale regarding following religious leaders blindly, especially those who may prey on younger people. She hopes to share her experiences in another book one day.

As she reflected on her life and all the changes that had occurred over the past few years, Cella believes that if a person has something they want to do, they can make it happen regardless of age.

“One thing I like to tell people is you’re never too old to pursue whatever your dream is,” the rabbi said.

For more information on “Hindsight Is 2020: Torah Lessons from a Turbulent Time,” visit www.rabbicella.com.

Looking for something to do with the kids for Spring Break? The Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts, 2 E. Main St., Smithtown will present Disney’s Finding Nemo daily from April 21 to 28.

Marlin, an anxious and over-protective clownfish, lives in the Great Barrier Reef with his kid Nemo, who longs to explore the world beyond their anemone home. But when Nemo is captured and taken to Sydney, Marlin faces his fears and sets off on an epic adventure across the ocean. With the help of lovable characters such as optimistic Dory, laid-back sea turtle Crush, and the supportive Tank Gang, Marlin and Nemo both overcome challenges on their journey to find each other and themselves.

Featuring memorable songs such as “Just Keep Swimming,” “Fish Are Friends Not Food,” and “Go With the Flow,” Finding Nemo Jr. brings a vibrant underwater world to life on stage in a story full of family, friendship, and adventure. Tickets are $25 per person.

To purchase tickets, click on a performance date below:

Sunday April 21 at 11 AM

Sunday April 21 at 2 PM

Monday April 22 at 1 PM

Tuesday April 23 at 1 PM

Wednesday April 24 at 1 PM

Thursday April 25 at 1 PM

Friday April 26 at 1 PM

Saturday April 27 at 11 AM

Saturday April 27 at 2 PM

Sunday April 28 at 2 PM

For more information, email [email protected] or visit www.smithtownpac.org.

Pixabay photo

By Samantha Rutt

A significant shift is coming to Long Island’s real estate market, with the National Association of Realtors agreeing to a settlement that could alter how buyers and sellers pay their agents.

In mid-March, the NAR reached a settlement agreement with home sellers who argued that NAR policies unfairly inflated commission rates. While the details are still being finalized, the agreement is set to impact the real estate market, both for buyers and sellers.

For years, the NAR faced lawsuits alleging their rules for Multiple Listing Services — the system where homes are advertised — restricted competition and kept commission rates artificially high, allegedly violating U.S. antitrust laws and regulations. 

The settlement, valued at $418 million over four years pending court approval, doesn’t admit wrongdoing by the NAR but allows sellers more freedom in how they offer compensation to buyers agents. Previously, commissions were often set through a system of predetermined splits between listing and buyers agents.

“There’s been a lot of misinformation about the settlement with the National Association of Realtors,” Darryl Davis, a real-estate coach based in Rocky Point said. “There has been no removal of any percent of a commission. To summarize, real estate companies have not been impacted at all because commission amounts, or the percentage, was not part of the lawsuit or the settlement.”

Local realtors are still analyzing the full scope of the settlement. However, early indications suggest a shift toward a more negotiable commission structure.

“Part of the settlement was that there would no longer be an offer of compensation on the multiple listing agreement for the agent that brings the buyer to the property,” John Fitzgerald of Realty Connect USA said. “So now for that agent to get paid, they’re going to have to have a contract with the buyer for compensation and that is changing our industry.”

What this means for buyers and sellers

“It really affects the seller,” said East Setauket-based Michael Ardolino, also of Realty Connect USA. The settlement “affects the sellers and the buyers more than anybody.”

For home buyers, this could translate to potential savings. Traditionally, buyers agents received a set commission, often around 3% of the sale price. Now, sellers may offer a lower commission to incentivize buyers agents to show the property.

However, some industry experts warn this might not be a guaranteed benefit for buyers, especially for those applying for loans from the Federal Housing Administration or Veteran Affairs. 

“The problem is, if the buyer is going to pay the compensation to the agent, you’re not incorporating it into the property — as far as getting it from the proceeds of the sale — [and that] then is going to have an effect on FHA buyers and VA buyers and that’s extreme,” Fitzgerald said. 

“If it’s a first-time homebuyer and they have an FHA, you buy a house with 3.5% down and you can mortgage up to 6% of your closing costs. Now you have to add a brokerage fee on top of that — that might put that buyer out of the market. Same thing for the VA. That might be a little bit difficult for primarily first-time buyers,” Fitzgerald explained. 

For sellers, the impact is a bit more complex. Increased negotiation over commissions could add time to the selling process. On the other hand, some sellers may be able to attract more interest by offering a lower commission to the buyer’s agent.

The road ahead

The Long Island real estate market is known for its competitiveness and this settlement is likely to add another layer to the negotiation process. Ultimately, how this settlement plays out for the Island’s buyers and sellers remains to be seen. However, one thing is certain: The way real estate commissions are negotiated on Long Island is about to change.

The NAR settlement is expected to take effect in mid-July. 

East Setauket Pond Park. Photo by Mallie Jane Kim

By Mallie Jane Kim

East Setauket Pond Park is due for a facelift next year, and Brookhaven Town Councilmember Jonathan Kornreich (D-Stony Brook) is assembling a diverse set of voices to help make plans for the landmark property, which sits next to Se-Port Deli on Route 25A.

Kornreich said the people he invited to join the committee include descendants of the Setalcott Nation and parents of young children — in addition to residents who are often involved in Three Village area community service, leadership and decision-making.

The park sits on a likely landing point of the first European settlers of Brookhaven, an event commemorated by a 1955 mural housed in Town Hall. The mural depicts a busy Setalcott village with European ships approaching in the distance, and some believe the perspective of the painting is East Setauket Pond Park.

Kornreich said he wants to be sure he is considering the history as well as the future of the property.

“When you’re doing something as important as creating a park that’s going to be there for the next 100 years, I think we have to be thoughtful and include some other voices that maybe we don’t always listen to,” Kornreich explained of his effort to broaden his advisory group to include more than the usual suspects. “A diverse set of voices generally yields better decision-making.”

Some of those usual suspects include members of the Setauket Harbor Task Force, whose advocacy started the process of the park rehabilitation in the first place. The tidal pond water drains into the harbor itself, and when the task force formed in 2014, the pond was filled with sand, sediment and pollutants from Route 25A road runoff. 

Task force co-founder George Hoffman remembers working to bring the park onto Brookhaven’s radar. The town’s parks department began mowing and clearing some invasive plants, he explained, as the task force worked with former state Sen. John Flanagan (R-East Northport) to secure a $1 million clean water grant in 2016. After various delays, the money went toward dredging the pond in 2022 and building an appropriate drainage system for the highway in 2023.

Hoffman said he understands the need to include a variety of voices in developing the park, but he acknowledges it is hard to adjust after advocating for it for so long. “We’ve always seen ourselves as unofficial stewards of Setauket Pond Park,” he said. “It’s been our baby, but now it’s kind of everyone’s baby.”

He added that he hopes the environment will remain an important aspect of any development. “The pond is tied into water quality as the headwaters of the harbor,” he said. “It’s important we don’t do anything to jeopardize that.”

Hoffman and Kornreich both said they hope a redeveloped park will serve as an anchor for revitalization of downtown East Setauket as well as provide an economic boost to the area, giving residents a clear view of the harbor and providing an enjoyable outdoor space near local businesses.

One woman tapped for the new committee, East Setauket resident Stephanie Alwais, said she is excited to be a part of the process. In her five years on the board of North Shore Montessori School in Stony Brook, she has had a lot of exposure to the needs and desires of area families with young children. 

“North Shore is such an embedded school within the community, and the park is also right in the center of the community,” Alwais said. “As a mom in Setauket, I’d love for the park to be a place where families can go.”

Kornreich said his advisory committee will work with the parks department to figure out the best use of the land, which will expand to include the parcel that currently houses Setauket Automotive, next door to the current park. Brookhaven purchased that land late in 2022 with plans to tear down the auto-shop building once the business-owner tenant’s lease expires at the end of July 2025.