North Shore track teams compete in Section XI championships
Northport and Huntington
Northport and Huntington Winter Track teams — girls and boys for both schools — participated in the Section XI League II Championships Jan. 20. Northport’s boys and girls team both finished in third place, while Huntington’s boys finished fourth in a field of 10. The Lady Blue Devils finished in ninth out of nine, but they did have some bright spots.
The highlights of the evening for the Tigers and Blue Devils were aplenty:
• Northport’s incredible Wickard sisters, junior Emily and twin eighth graders Mia and Finnley, swept first, second and third place in both the 1500-meter and 3000-meter races, as they have done numerous times before.
• Devils Matt Armstrong and Kender Edouazin took first and second in the 600-meter race and Blue Devil Jahmar Francis was sixth. Northport had the best-finishing freshman with Alex Toran, who came in ninth. All of these athletes broke a minute and a half as the rest of the field of 28 did not.
• Armstrong also took gold in the 3200. Northport’s Timmy Sheahan was fifth in that race.
• Lady Tiger Katie Hayes took first place in the 1000 as her teammates Kayla Forsch and Kaylee Ryan also finished in the Top 10 in a field of 24. Northport’s Ella Cancro won gold in the 600-meter.
• Three Tiger shot putters finished in the Top six, with Ethan Makaw winning the whole thing. Mason Hecht was third and Karl Schluter was sixth. Makaw broke 44 feet.
• Erik Holden, of Northport, was second in the 55-meter hurdles and Nicholai Seferian, of Huntington, was third, both finishing in under 8.5 seconds.
• James McNaughton and Brandon Cruz of Northport finished one-two in 1000-meter run. Nick Seitz, of Huntington, made the top 10 in a field of 24.
• Andrea Mani-Munoz and Talia Addeo, of Huntington, finished in fourth and sixth in the 1500-meter race walk.
• Chris Payne came in second in the 1600-meter race for Northport as fellow Tiger Thomas Cavuoto was eighth. Both are seniors.
• Blue Devil Nikolai Lulewich was second in the boys high jump with a mark of 5 feet, 8 inches.
• Northport and Huntington were both solid in relays. The boys were second to meet champ Connetquot in the 4 x 200. The Lady Tigers won the 4 x 800 and took third in the 4×400. The Blue Devil Boys won the 4 x 400 relay race as Northport took second in the 4 x 200 and Huntington was third
Commack and Smithtown East
Commack and Smithtown East’s winter track team — girls and boys for both schools — participated in the Section XI League II Championships Jan. 20. Commack had a wildly successful meet as their girls finished first and their boys notched second overall. The Smithtown East girls finished fifth overall in a field of nine, and the boys, who competed as an undermanned squad, finished 10th.
The highlights of the evening for the Cougars and Bulls were as follows:
• Cougar Daniel Pagan won the Boys High Jump competition as the only jumper to scrape 6 feet. GianCarlo DiFava was fifth and Kaden Jacques was seventh for Commack.
• Lady Bull Emma Cawley inched out Lady Cougar Marissa Mauro for second place in the 600-meter run. Cawley was two hundredths of a second ahead of Mauro. Northport’s Ella Cancro won first.
• Nicole Bransfield took silver in the 55-meter hurdles with a mark of 9.22 and Sofia Toepfer, Katheryn Vidulich and Isabella Guido took second, third and fourth in the Long Jump and Vidulich took the gold in High Jump as the only female athlete to reach 5 feet. Toepfer was third in the 300-meter race.
• Emma Cawley was fourth in 300 for Smithtown East.
• Three runners in the Boys 1600 — Vincent Guarino, Sam Byrd and Dylan Manning finished third, fourth and fifth in a field of 23.
• Freshman Ella Murphy was eighth out of 27 in preliminaries of the 55 Meter dash.
• Madeline Pettit won the 1500-meter race walk for the Lady Cougars.
• Smithtown East’s girls did well in the relays finishing third in the 4 x 200 and second in the 4 x 800.
• Julie Thomas won gold in the Girls Shot Put and Gabriella Barth took the bronze. Both are Commack seniors.
• Seville Louissaint was productive on both the Triple Jump and Long Jump, placing second and third, respectively. Angel Reyes and Connor Cherney were third and fifth in the Triple Jump for the Cougars.
• Commack had three runners in the top 10 of the Boys 600-meter. Philip Rosengarten was thrid, DiFava was seventh and Michael McClain was 10th in a field of 28.
• Junior Dester Cuomo was fifth in a field of 27 for the East Bulls in the Boys 1000-meter run.
Both Ward Melville winter track teams also participated in the Section XI League II Championships Jan. 20. The boys team finished 5th in a field of 10, and the girls were 7th out of nine.
The highlights of the evening for the Patriots were many.
• Patriots Melina Montgomery took second place in the 1000-meter race won by Northport’s Katie Hayes
• Jon Seyfert finished fourth out of a field of 28 in the Boys 600-meter run
• The 4 x 400 girls team came in second to Commack. The Cougars not only won this race but won the entire girls side of the event.
• Brian Liebowitz was only three seconds behind Matt Armstrong of Huntington in the Boys 3200-meter run
• Preston Hickey was fourth in the shotput, one of only seven throwers who made 40 feet. Teddy Lorenzen also made the top 10 in a field of 22
The meet took place at the Suffolk Federal Union Arena on the campus of Suffolk County Community College in Brentwood. Connetquot was the overall boys champion with Commack second and Northport in third. For the girls, Commack finished on top of Connetquot with Northport again in third.