Tags Posts tagged with "Smoke Inhalation"

Smoke Inhalation

Firefighters stand around the house on Dawson Street after the fire was stopped last night. Photo by Steve Silverman

A 76-year-old man died last night after being trapped in his burning Dawson Street home.

The Huntington Manor Fire Department and Suffolk County Police Department responded just after 9 p.m. on Thursday to a report of a residential fire in Huntington Station with an occupant trapped inside. During a search of the house, firefighters located Henry Lindemann and removed him from the blazing home.

Police officer Angela Ferrara, a member of the SCPD’s Medical Crisis Action Team, began advanced life support measures, placing an advanced airway for patient ventilation and administering intravenous fluids. Huntington Community First Aid Squad transported Lindemann to Huntington Hospital, and Ferrara and EMTs continued advanced life support on the way, but he died at the hospital a short time later.

The victim’s sister, 68-year-old Diane Lindemann, had been able to escape the burning house. She was treated for smoke inhalation at Huntington Hospital.

Firefighters stand around the house on Dawson Street after the fire was stopped last night. Photo by Steve Silverman
Firefighters stand around the house on Dawson Street after the fire was stopped last night. Photo by Steve Silverman

About 65 firefighters using eight trucks from the Huntington Manor, Melville and Huntington fire departments battled the blaze, which was controlled within 45 minutes, under the command of Huntington Manor Chief Frank McQuade and supported by Assistant Chiefs Mike DePasquale, Jon Hoffmann and Chuck Brady. Ambulance crews from the Melville, Dix Hills and Halesite fire departments, as well as paramedics from the Town of Huntington Cyanide Response Team, assisted at the scene. The Greenlawn Fire Department handled standby coverage.

The fire is under investigation by the SCPD Arson and Homicide Squads and the Town of Huntington fire marshal, but police said the fire did not appear suspicious.

Suffolk County police car. File photo

A Commack woman and her dogs Marlo and Bo were saved from their burning home Friday morning, with the help of two firefighters and a police officer.

The Suffolk County Police Department said 45-year-old Elyssa Roth dropped Marlo out of her bedroom window into the responders’ arms, then jumped out herself. Bo was later saved from inside the house.

It all started shortly before 9:30 a.m., when someone called 911 to report the fire on Suttonwood Drive, police said. Officer David Mascarella from the 4th Precinct and Commack Fire Department volunteers Bernie Simoes and Paul Carnevale responded to find heavy smoke and limited visibility at the burning home. The heavy flames and intense heat prevented Mascarella and Simoes from going inside, police said.

The responders convinced Roth to drop Marlo the dog from her second-floor bedroom window, then followed and the men caught her. Bo was found inside the house and treated at an animal hospital.

That second dog was not the only one who needed medical attention. Police said Roth and Mascarella were treated for smoke inhalation at Stony Brook University Hospital and at Smithtown’s St. Catherine of Siena Medical Center, respectively. The pair of firefighters were treated for respiratory distress at the scene of the blaze.

According to police, arson detectives have determined the fire had a non-criminal cause.