Community

Photo from LI Cares

Brookhaven Town Supervisor Ed Romaine will take part in Long Island Cares 10th Annual Legislative Pet Food Drive Challenge. This drive is focused on collecting and providing food for the family members most vulnerable to hunger: our pets. This drive will take place at from March 22 through April 23 at the following drop off locations:

• Brookhaven Town Hall, 1 Independence Hill, Farmingville
  • Brookhaven Animal Shelter, 300 Horseblock Road, Brookhaven
  • Coram Fire Department, 303 Middle Country Road, Coram
  • College 101 Resource Center, 290 Main Street, East Setauket
  • Brookhaven Town Highway Department, 1140 Old Town Road, Coram
  • Brookhaven Town Parks and Recreation Administration, 286 Hawkins Road, Centereach
  • Brookhaven Town Vehicle Control, 550 North Ocean Avenue, Patchogue

Suggested donation items include canned dog and cat food, five to ten-pound bags of dry food and treats.

“Many families are struggling to put food on the table, and this means it is also a struggle to feed their beloved pets,” Supervisor Romaine said. “I want to thank Long Island Cares for holding its Annual Legislative Pet Food Drive Challenge and I look forward to seeing how much food is collected.”

For more information, call 631-451-TOWN.

The spring series kicks off with End of the Line: The Women of Standing Rock.

By Heidi Sutton

The arrival of spring signals the return of a community treasure — the award-winning Port Jefferson Documentary Series. The season kicks off on Monday, April 5 and runs through May 24.

It’s been a rough road for the PJDS film committee since COVID-19 hit in March 2020, but the end result is a true testament to the resilience and staying power of this popular event. 

“We started small,” said co-director Lyn Boland in a recent phone interview. Because of the pandemic, the team, which also includes co-directors Barbara Sverd and Wendy Feinberg, Honey Katz, Lorie Rothstein and Lynn Rein, hosted mostly virtual screenings last year as their usual venues went on lockdown. In the fall they presented two drive-in screenings on Perry Street in Port Jefferson and two socially distanced screenings at Harborfront Park. 

The success from those events was encouraging and persuaded the committee to continue their mission.

“Those went really well and we really expected that we would be back at Theatre Three for the spring series, but that didn’t happen,” said Boland.

The film festival grants the committee normally relies on were canceled as well but luckily Port Jefferson Village agreed to co-sponsor part of the spring series. “Mayor Margot Garant really went out of her way to help us. Between that and funds from the Greater Port Jefferson-Northern Brookhaven Arts Council, we managed to put together a series that consists of three films online and five socially distant films in Harborfront Park,” she explained.

The selection process for choosing the eight films was also different this year, with most chosen from the South by Southwest Festival in mid-March. 

This season’s exciting lineup will explore topics such as the controversial Dakota Access Pipeline, Parkinson’s disease, seeking asylum, friendships, jazz, helicopter parenting, and self-imposed quarantine. Moderated by Tom Needham, host of The Sounds of Film at WUSB radio, each documentary will be supplemented by a prerecorded Q&A with a guest speaker which can be accessed at home on YouTube. 

A highlight of the series will be the fourth film, a special screening of “Howie Mandel: But Enough About Me,” which kicks off the Harborfront Park part of the series. “We wanted to have a party to celebrate the outdoor portion of the season and this film is so delightful we decided to make it our showpiece,” said Boland.

“What we are really hoping is that people want the experience of seeing a film together again; people have watched a lot of films online during the pandemic and we are really hoping to get people to gather again outside in a lovely setting,” she added.

Since the film board’s formation back in 2005, Boland and her fellow board members have never lost their love of documentaries.

“There is something about an amazing story, with the footage from the actual event, with the real people, that brings vibrant real information to me. I think in this day and age, where everything is so fraught with “is this real?” “is that real?”, that there is something very important about seeing the actual people, the actual places; where for an hour and half, it’s the real thing. There are things we need to know, and I think that’s where we get it,” said Boland.

The first three documentaries will be screened virtually on Mondays at 7 p.m. with 48 hours to view. (See dates in sidebar) Tickets are $8. Register at www.portjeffdocumentary.com. 

A special screening of “Howie Mandel: But Enough About Me” will be held at Harborfront Park, 101 East Broadway, Port Jefferson on Monday, April 26 at sundown. Doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets are $12 online or in person. Rain date is the next day.

The last four documentaries will be screened at Harborfront Park at sundown. (See dates in sidebar) Doors open at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 online or in person. Rain date is the next day.

Purchase a $50 Spring series pass good for 7 films. For more information, call 631-473-5220.

Spring schedule
 End of the Line: The Women of Standing Rock.

End of the Line: The Women of Standing Rock

Monday, April 5 online at 7 p.m. 

End of the Line: The Women of Standing Rock is the incredible story of a small group of indigenous women who risk their lives to stop the $3.8 billion Dakota Access oil pipeline construction that desecrated their ancient burial and prayer sites and threatens their land, water, and very existence. When the population of their peaceful protest camp exceeds 10,000, the women unwittingly find themselves the leaders of a global movement. Guest speaker will be Shannon Kring, Director.

‘Me to Play’

Me to Play

Monday, April 12 online at 7 p.m. 

The film follows two veteran actors as they pursue a one-night-only performance of a lifetime. Dan Moran and Chris Jones, who first met while performing in A Month in the Country with Helen Mirren in 1995, are united by a mission to present Samuel Beckett’s absurdist tragicomedy Endgame if it’s the last performance they do. Coincidentally diagnosed with Parkinson’s at the same time, the actors find purpose in illuminating Beckett’s prose. Guest speaker will be Director Jim Bernfield.

‘The Jump’

The Jump

Monday, April 19 online at 7 p.m. 

In 1970, off the coast of Cape Cod, Lithuanian sailor Simas Kudirka jumped from his Soviet ship onto a US Coast Guard vessel seeking asylum. Denied refuge by the American crew, Simas was sentenced to a Soviet labor camp for treason, sparking an international cause célèbre. As his dramatic case played out in the media and up through the highest levels of the US government, this ordinary man became a symbol for freedom-seeking refugees everywhere. Guest speaker will be Giedre Žickyte, Director.

‘Howie Mandel: But Enough About Me’

Howie Mandel: But Enough About Me

Monday, April 26 at Harborfront Park

An intimate and provocative documentary, the film explores the life and career of Howie Mandel, a veteran comedian, actor and producer, arguably most known for his battle with OCD and for being a judge on America’s Got Talent rather than for his considerable comedic genius. The film delves into his early years in the comedy industry and how he became a star on one of the most beloved television series ever, St. Elsewhere. Guest speaker will be Barry Avrich, Director.

‘Truman and Tennessee: An Intimate Conversation’

Truman and Tennessee: An Intimate Conversation

Tuesday, May 4 at Harborfront Park

The documentary is a story of two of the greatest writers of the past century examined in a dialogue that stretches from their early days of friendship to their final, unsparing critiques of each other. Truman Capote and Tennessee Williams lived parallel lives and struggled with a lifelong pursuit of creativity, self-doubt, addiction, and success. Giving life to the dialogue and a physicality to their relationship, Jim Parsons is the voice of Capote and Zachary Quinto is the voice of Williams. Guest speaker is Lisa Immordino Vreeland, Director.

‘Ronnie’s’

Ronnie’s

Monday, May 10 at Harborfront Park

Ronnie’s is a chronicle of the life of saxophonist Ronnie Scott, from poor, Jewish kid growing up in 1940s East End, London to the owner of the legendary night club, Ronnie’s. Glorious clips from performances by jazz greats spanning decades — Dizzy Gillespie, Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald, Jimi Hendrix, Nina Simone, Van Morrison, Chet Baker, and more — bring to life this story of a charming, talented man who secretly wrestled with his own inner demons. Guest speaker is Oliver Murray, Director.

‘Chasing Childhood’

Chasing Childhood

Monday, May 17 at Harborfront Park

Overprotected and over directed, American children are wilting under the weight of well-meaning parents. This thoughtful film follows education professionals and reformed helicopter parents who seek and offer solutions for developing more confident, independent young people while restoring some joy and freedom to childhood. Guest speaker will be Co-Director Eden Wurmfeld. 

‘Red Heaven’

Red Heaven

Monday, May 24 at Harborfront Park

A very timely film, Red Heaven explores what humans need to be happy, healthy, and sane. A crew of six non-astronauts from all over the world, chosen for their ability to survive isolation, embark on a one year mission in the Mars simulation station in a 1000 square foot dome on the red, rocky slope of a Hawaiian volcano in order to provide much-needed research for the future of space exploration. How does their mood and mental health change over time in this prescient exploration of self-imposed quarantine? Guest speakers will be Lauren DeFilippo & Katherine Gorringe, Co-Directors.

Pictured from left, Councilman Neil Foley, Councilman Kevin LaValle, Councilman Dan Panico, Councilwoman Jane Bonner and Supervisor Ed Romaine.

Supervisor Ed Romaine has announced that the free mulch and compost is available at seven, conveniently located Town facilities. The free mulch and compost are part of the Supervisor’s “Greening Brookhaven” initiative. Mulch and compost are available in bulk, so residents must bring shovels and containers to load it into their vehicles. All will be distributed on a first come, first served basis while supplies last.

Residents of Brookhaven Town may pick up free mulch and compost at the following Town facilities:

• Brookhaven Town Hall, South Parking Lot, One Independence Hill in Farmingville (residents only)

Monday – Friday from 9:00 am to 7:30 pm and Saturday-Sunday 8:00 am to 8:00 pm

• Percy Raynor Park, Route 347 and Belle Mead Road in South Setauket (residents only)

Monday – Friday from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm and Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm

• Rose Caracappa Center, 739 Route 25A in Mt. Sinai (residents only)

Monday – Friday from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm and Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm

• Brookhaven Landfill, 350 Horseblock Road in Brookhaven Hamlet (residents and commercial)

Monday – Friday from 7:00 am to 2:45 pm and Saturday from 7:00 am to 12:00 noon.

• Manorville Compost Facility, Papermill Road in Manorville (residents only)

Monday – Friday from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm (Closed for lunch 11:50 am – 12:30 pm)

• Holtsville Ecology Site, 249 Buckley Road in Holtsville (residents only)

Monday – Friday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm

• Robert E. Reid, Sr. Recreation Center, Rte. 25A and Defense Hill Road in Shoreham (residents only)

Monday – Friday from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm and Saturday and Sunday 8:00 am to 8:00 pm

Commercial vehicles are permitted only at the Brookhaven Landfill, where a fee of $12 per yard will be charged.

For more information, call 631-451-TOWN or visit the Town website.

Nan Guzzetta. Photo by John Griffin

By Michael Tessler

It was devastating to hear of the passing of one of our community’s greatest treasures. For those of us lucky enough to have known Nancy Altman “Nan” Guzzetta, we all knew just how special she was. It’s important that everyone who didn’t know Nan knows just how she impacted their lives too.

Nancy Altman “Nan” Guzzetta. Photo by John Griffin

Most in our community knew Nan as the owner of Antique Costume & Prop Rental on Main Street in Port Jefferson. For decades, she helped quietly bring to life every festival, celebration, and fun historical event in the area. When Nan was called to service, she didn’t just show up; she would move heaven and earth. Truthfully, on more than one occasion I saw her hoist a mannequin twice her size over her head … just to ensure a Civil War general would have the proper brass buckle. To say she took her work seriously would be an injustice; she didn’t just love history … she lived it. 

To Nan, her costumes weren’t just pieces of fabric … they were living pieces of history and art, many of which were originals or perfectly replicated to exact historical specifications. She explained to me that it wasn’t so much the details that mattered. It was about the respect that came with it. To her, it was personal that we honored legacies properly. 

Nan was feisty, funny, witty, and smart. She was both ahead of her time and yet seemed to belong to a bygone era. She was sophisticated, cultured, and worldly. For a woman of such small stature, she stood taller than most and never relented when she knew she was right. She was a woman of great principle and yet always shared a tenderness with those who knew her.

Here’s the truth though. Nan changed lives with her gift of time travel.

For the small child lacking in self-confidence whom she transformed into a Dickensian character of old and unleashed upon the streets of Port Jefferson, they will always know the joys and confidence that community service can bring. For the young woman who heard the forgotten story of a Setauket suffragette during a Three Village Historical Society (TVHS) Spirits Tour, she’ll spend the rest of her life knowing she too can transform policy and shape the future. For the Ward Melville High School freshman celebrating Culper Spy Day who sees a little of themself in Setauket’s Revolutionary War heroes, their lives will forever be transformed by Nan Guzzetta, a woman who made it her business to bring history to life and ensure no story go untold.

Nan left an incredible impact on so many, but to me, she was an unlikely friend and unforgettable mentor and confidant. Despite an age difference of some 60 years, our lives were wonderfully intertwined. We first met when she costumed me at just 10 years old as a Dickensian pickpocket for the Village of Port Jefferson’s annual Charles Dickens Festival. By chance, her son and his family had bought my childhood home which brought both of us great joy. 

Nan costumed Times Beacon Record News Media’s (TBR) first major film project, The Culper Spy Adventure, and helped introduce me to the wonders of film. We became great friends and our chats around history and politics would sometimes last for hours and hours. Occasional tea with her and her wonderful husband became some of my favorite memories. 

I’d always look forward to volunteering at the TVHS Spirits Tours, not just because they’re fun but because I knew it gave Nan such a thrill to see her costumes come to life when worn by such a passionate group of actors. Nan quite literally saved TBR’s Revolutionary War feature film One Life to Give on more than one occasion, procuring us silk stockings and enough tricorn hats to outfit a Continental Army. She was always there when her community needed her and she was always there for me. 

A few years ago, Nan picked up the phone, and on the other side of the line was a Hollywood producer in need of some costumes for a new series. Despite the fact I wasn’t yet a mature and/or responsible adult (as Nan often liked to remind me when I failed to bring back properly cleaned frockcoats) she insisted that the producer speak with me and consider hiring me to work on the show. He did. 

Some dozen or so television shows later here I am on my third year in Los Angeles running my own production company and because of Nan, I’ve now had the chance to work in Hollywood and achieve my dream of being a storyteller. Without her, I’m genuinely not sure where I’d be. I’ll forever be indebted to her for jumpstarting my journey and for all the kindness, understanding, and generosity she showed me. 

My last conversation with Nan was just about a month or so ago. We didn’t talk much about the past, but about our optimism and hope for the future. For her, history was a blueprint and a guide to help us do better. She had so much hope, especially in today’s young people.

Nan will forever stand among the greats in this community, no less than a Melville, Mather, Woodhull, or Strong. In everything she did, she thought about her neighbors, and the joy she could bring them, and the magic of history she could share. Her passion for the past was only surpassed by her love of family. To her, her children and grandchildren were and are the greatest gift she could leave behind to the place she calls home. 

Nan, you can rest easy knowing that the community you inspired will pick up that mantle and continue your work. Now it is time for us to honor your legacy and to ensure that future generations know of the extraordinary life you lived and the standard of service you set for us all.

Until we meet again, Nan. Thank you for making history. 

Photo from Urban Air

Urban Air Lake Grove owners Dave Wolmetz and Keith Handler (holding scissors) held a ribbon cutting to mark the official reopening of their business — one year after the start of the COVID-19 pandemic — on March 26. The celebration was attended by local, county and state officials and local chamber members.

The 48,000 sq. ft indoor adventure park, located at 3147 Middle Country Road in Lake Grove, was closed in March 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It reopened briefly in fall 2020 after providing sufficient demonstration that it could operate safely but was ordered closed again five weeks later. A lawsuit filed in February 2021 forced the State of New York to allow Family Entertainment Centers across the state, including Urban Air, to open again under COVID-19 safety protocols.

“I was happy to attend the grand reopening of Urban Air Adventure Park at 3147 Middle Country Road in Lake Grove. For too long indoor entertainment facilities, like Urban Air, were ignored in the Governor’s reopening plan despite proving they could operate safely. I was proud to stand with my colleagues in government today and congratulate Urban Air on their reopening and wish them the best of luck with their business,” said Councilman LaValle.

“[It was] great to join Urban Air Adventure Park in Lake Grove for a grand re-opening! Amusements are opening back up in time for summer!” added Assemblyman Smith. 

Pictured from left, Brendan Chamberlain representing Leg. Nick Caracappa; Greater Middle Country Chamber President Lenore Paprocky; Leg. Leslie Kennedy;  Councilman Kevin LaValle; Assemblyman Doug Smith; Carrie and Dave Wolmetz; Suffolk County Comptroller John Kennedy; Keith Handler; NYS Senator Mario Mattera; Lake Grove Mayor Robert Scottaline; and Barbara Franco, Executive Director of the Greater Smithtown Chamber of Commerce. 

The park will operate at 25 percent capacity, with an e-commerce ticketing system managing two-hour timed entry for all guests. Tickets are purchased online in advance. To encourage social distancing, tickets will be offered for purchase at the door on a capacity only basis. Operating hours are 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. For more information, call 631-861-4125.

From left, Councilman Ed Smyth, Councilman Mark Cuthbertson, Supervisor Chad A. Lupinacci, Carlos Ortiz (Regional VP for Suffolk County, Sun River Health), Lisa Santeramo (Assistant Secretary for Intergovernmental Affairs, Governor Cuomo's office)

UPDATE: Supervisor Chad A. Lupinacci, Councilman Ed Smyth and Councilman Mark Cuthbertson were joined by Lisa Santeramo of Governor Andrew Cuomo’s office and Carlos Ortiz of Sun River Health for the opening day of a pop-up COVID-19 vaccination site, on March 22, where 600 doses of the Moderna vaccine will be administered by appointment only at the Town of Huntington Senior Center.  

“We are pleased to be able to offer a large, safe vaccination site at the Town’s Senior Center, something we have been working on with the Governor’s office for some time now,” said Supervisor Chad A. Lupinacci. “We look forward to the day we can reopen this community facility to our senior residents and end the isolation many continue experiencing for over a year now: these vaccinations are getting us one step closer to normal.” 

Councilman Ed Smyth stated, “I encourage everyone to get a vaccine at the earliest possible date. I understand many people are anxious about it. Many people have reservations about vaccines based on medical concerns, historical concerns, or religious concerns.  If you have concerns, please speak directly with your doctor, community and religious leaders. Please don’t substitute an internet search for actual medical advice.” 

Councilman Mark Cuthbertson stated, “Today and tomorrow 600 seniors will be vaccinated at our Senior Center, we are hopeful that NYS will allocate more vaccines so we can continue to vaccinate our residents.” 

“Sun River Health is proud to partner with the Governor’s Office, the Town of Huntington, and the Huntington Senior Center to continue the important work that will finally bring an end to the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Anne Kauffman Nolon, MPH, Sun River Health CEO. “Thank you to all our dedicated staff and partners providing vaccines to members of the Huntington community this week.” 

Rodney Nichols, Huntington resident, was very happy to receive the vaccine on March 22.

In coordination with the Governor’s office, the Town of Huntington is hosting a pop-up COVID-19 vaccination site for New York residents ages 60+ by appointment only at the Town’s Senior Center on Monday, March 22 & Tuesday, March 23 between 9AM and 3PM for 600 doses of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine to be administered by Sun River Health (2nd doses to be administered on Monday, April 19 & Tuesday, April 20).  

In January, Supervisor Chad A. Lupinacci sent a letter signed by the entire Town Board to the Governor’s office offering the Town of Huntington Senior Center facility as a potential COVID-19 vaccination site, due to the space, parking and refrigeration facilities available. 

The Lupinacci administration had previously conducted an in-house analysis of space under its jurisdiction that would accommodate the basic needs of a vaccine point of distribution. 

The administration determined that the Senior Center (423 Park Avenue, Huntington), largely vacant due to COVID-19, would provide the State with a complement of amenities including, but not limited to a spacious cafeteria, numerous classrooms, bathrooms, refrigerators, heating and air-conditioning, and plentiful parking spaces. 

The Senior Center’s close proximity to NYS Route 110, NYS Route 25A and Park Avenue is conducive to easy access from all points of the Town. Furthermore, the facility is situated between Jackson Avenue and Park Avenue, which would provide flexible traffic control options. 

CHARADRIUS MELODUS SIGHTING

Tom Caruso of Smithtown went to Short Beach in Nissequogue on March 13 and came upon his favorite shorebird. He writes, ‘I was walking along the beach when I caught something moving from the corner of my eye.  After a few seconds I realized that it was this piping plover moving through the reeds that washed up on the shore.  I followed it for a while and was able to snap several pictures of it.

Send your Photo of the Week to [email protected]

Magician Alexander Boyce. Photo from Vanderbilt Museum

Get ready to be amazed! 

The Suffolk County Vanderbilt Museum, 180 Little Neck Road, Centerport will offer private, in-person magic shows on Friday, April 2, and Friday, April 9, featuring the renowned magician Alexander Boyce. 

You can reserve a group ticket for up to 12 people, members: $120; non-members $130. Individual shows are 30 minutes long.

The Alexander Boyce Magic Show is an amazing sleight-of-hand and mind-reading event. Boyce has performed on national television, at The Magic Castle in Hollywood, and was recently featured in The New York Times. The Times has called Boyce “sophisticated.” The Philadelphia Inquirer said he is “enchanting.”

The recent New York University graduate also performed in the long-running hit Speakeasy Magick at the McKittrick Hotel in NYC.

Time Out New York called the show, “highly skilled close-up magic that really leaves you gasping with wonder.” Recently, he was one of the first American magicians to be invited to entertain in Cuba since the revolution.

For more information, or to make a reservation, call 631-854-5579 or visit www.vanderbiltmuseum.org.

Elizabeth Wayland-Morgan, Executive Director of the Suffolk County Vanderbilt Museum Jennifer Vacca/Zoot Shoot Photographers

By Melissa Arnold

Elizabeth Wayland-Morgan is no stranger to the Suffolk County Vanderbilt Museum in Centerport. She’s been on staff at the museum for 11 years now in a variety of roles before being named executive director last year. The California native has spent time living on both coasts, all the while developing a deep love for the arts and culture. Those passions ultimately led her to Long Island and the historic estate she is honored to care for. 

Elizabeth Wayland-Morgan, Executive Director of the Suffolk County Vanderbilt Museum
Jennifer Vacca/Zoot Shoot Photographers

How did you get interested in museum work? 

I guess it started when I was a young child. My mother is an artist and we often visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the American Museum of Natural History. From that early age I was enthralled with the art of other cultures, which led me to study fine arts and anthropology in college.

What are your major responsibilities? 

Right now, my primary focus is to carefully steer the museum through this extraordinarily difficult time and to see that it thrives into the future. I am directly involved with managing the museum’s day-to-day functions, and work with our incredibly talented staff to develop our programming. Recently, that’s included virtual education, astronomy and natural-history programs, rotating exhibitions, and engaging outdoor events.

What attracted you to the museum and what are some of your favorite things about it now?

I was initially attracted to the cultural aspects and the beauty and history of the estate and the mansion. Those facets represent a unique opportunity to connect a wide range of educational themes and to bring history to life. 

The Vanderbilt is a living museum of a singular era in American history. From the late 19th century to the 1930s, more than 1,200 of the country’s richest and most powerful individuals built sprawling summer estates along the north shore of Long Island, known as the Gold Coast. William K. Vanderbilt II’s Eagle’s Nest is one of the few that remain. 

I love that we’ve become not only a regional destination but also an attraction for international visitors. During the last few years, we welcomed guests from more than 40 countries.

One of my favorite secluded spots on the property is the Wishing Well Garden. It’s a lovely, peaceful place to sit and reflect. My favorite building other than the mansion is the large, Tudor-style boathouse. Its covered porch offers striking panoramic views of the Northport Bay, where Mr. Vanderbilt anchored his yachts and began his voyages.  

Tell me a bit about the museum’s history and what it has to offer. 

Mr. Vanderbilt wanted a summer place far from the bustle of New York City. He found this property and bought it 1910. He told friends that on an early visit, he saw an eagle soaring over his property and decided to call his estate Eagle’s Nest. He built the mansion in stages and finished it in 1936.

He loved the natural world and the oceans, and explored them during voyages on his yacht. He created a marine museum on his estate and called it the Hall of Fishes. It was the first stage of what became his larger museum complex. He opened it to the public on a limited basis in 1922.  

Mr. Vanderbilt circumnavigated the world twice. Not just for pleasure, but also to build his museum. Eventually he amassed the largest collection of privately assembled marine specimens from the pre-atomic era. We have 22 wild-animal habitat dioramas and a collection of more than 40,000 objects. Two collection highlights are a 32-foot whale shark and a 3,000-year-old Egyptian mummy.

Do you have a favorite event at the museum that you look forward to? 

For years, my highlight of every summer has been Alex Torres and His Latin Orchestra, who have performed for 13 years in the Mansion courtyard. The beautiful Spanish architecture makes guests feel as if they’ve been transported to a romantic evening in Latin America. I also really enjoyed our Halloween Wicked Walk and holiday Bright Lights events last year.

What do you feel you’ve brought to the table as director so far? Do you have goals for the museum?  

Steering the Vanderbilt through the pandemic-induced crisis has been a challenge of a lifetime. Safety has been paramount. Beyond that, I firmly believe that my most important job has been to empower and motivate the staff and to create a positive and collaborative environment. We are all protective of this special place. The pandemic shutdown allowed us additional time to concentrate on grant writing and fundraising and to uncover new opportunities. Financial stability is our most important goal, and we aim to build upon innovative programming that will produce essential income. 

A very exciting project is the reclamation of Mr. Vanderbilt’s original nature trails. Hikers can wander through forested sections of the estate and stop at vantage points that offer spectacular views of the bay.

Our virtual astronomy and natural-history education outreach to regional schools has been very successful, and we’re looking to expand that.

Another important goal is to digitize the collections. In doing so, we’ll be able to share more details of Mr. Vanderbilt’s fascinating life and global explorations. We’re starting with the Vanderbilt’s collection of 6,000 photos. 

We are renovating Mr. Vanderbilt’s large, four-bay garage to create an up-to-date version of the existing Vanderbilt Learning Center with enhanced technology.

What else is in the works?

Our restoration projects are moving forward. We’re working on the exterior of Normandy Manor, the mansion facades and bell tower, and Nursery Wing. 

Very important to the museum’s future is the Historic Waterfront Project. We are looking for donors to help us restore the boathouse, granite seawall, seaplane hangar, and esplanade. It has been closed to the public for a long time and is the museum’s greatest current challenge.

How did the museum function last year? Did you offer masked tours, virtual events, etc.? 

All staff that were able to work virtually began to do so immediately. Their support and dedication is how we’re getting through this time. Many are longtime colleagues who know and understand the museum and its operations well. News of a pandemic was certainly shocking, but we pulled together as a strong team and have been navigating these turbulent times very well. 

The museum-education and planetarium staffs began right away to create virtual programming. They made downloadable projects for children that presented intriguing facts about animals and birds in the natural-history collections. We posted the projects on our website so parents could print images for their children to read, color or paint. The planetarium produced astronomy learning videos on topics such as exploring Mars, rockets, black holes, and using a telescope. On June 12, the state allowed the museum to reopen its estate grounds safely. 

We built a large screen and held movie nights in our parking lot; offered exterior architectural tours of the mansion; and bird talks and owl prowls with an ornithologist. We offered mini-wedding ceremonies and elopements. We created a Halloween ‘Wicked Walk,’ and a December holiday ‘Bright Lights’ event with social distancing policies.

In the fall, when we were able to open the buildings at 25% capacity, we offered small-group mansion tours and planetarium shows before closing for the winter months.

What do you have planned this year?

The staff has many projects underway, including an installation in the newly restored Lancaster Room of the exhibition “Alva Belmont: Socialite to Suffragist,” which explores the women’s voting rights activism of Mr. Vanderbilt’s mother, Alva Belmont Vanderbilt. 

Our first big outdoor event for 2021 will be Vandy Land. It’s an outdoor game day for everyone It will open on March 27 and run through April 3. Actors will portray kid-friendly characters, and we’ll have vendors, crafts, musical entertainment, refreshments, and the Easter Bunny. 

As a special Vandy Land attraction, we will commemorate Mr. Vanderbilt’s original estate golf course by building an 18-hole mini-golf course. Everyone who plays in what we’re calling the William K. Vanderbilt Golf Classic will be entered into our big prize drawing. After school vacation is over, we’ll keep the golf course open every Saturday and Sunday during the day through the end of April, and on Thursday through Saturday evenings, too.

Why do you think the Vanderbilt Museum is such a special place? 

The atmosphere is magical. This is one of the only remaining Gold Coast mansions. We offer a glimpse into the past. The mansion has been kept exactly as it was when the Vanderbilts lived here. In particular, the rooms display personal effects — a teapot and cup on a side table next to Rosamond’s bed, books and papers on William’s desk, and open suitcases with clothes in the guest rooms. The impression this creates is that the family is living there, but has stepped out for the afternoon.

When you walk the grounds, the smell of salt air complements the view. You see hawks and osprey soaring overhead, and the striking Spanish architecture of the mansion. The experience is relaxing and soothing. It’s a visual and sensory trip back in time.

Why is it so important to keep this part of Long Island’s history alive? 

The Vanderbilt family and its vast railroad holdings were essential in the development of this country. When you walk through the mansion and museum, you are surrounded by rare fine and decorative art and furnishings, some of it centuries old. It’s a time-machine stroll through a storied era of elite, privileged lives on Long Island’s Gold Coast. 

We are an informal education institution, as Mr. Vanderbilt intended. The museum continues this mission through its education programs and offerings — to the public and to more than 25,000 schoolchildren each year. It’s important to keep this all but vanished history alive for future generations.

The Suffolk County Vanderbilt Museum and Planetarium is located at 180 Little Neck Road in Centerport. For more information, including events, spring hours and admission rates, please visit www.vanderbiltmuseum.org or call 631-854-5579.

In celebration of it 65th anniversary, “The Ten Commandments” heads to select theaters nationwide on Sunday, March 28, courtesy of Fathom Events, Turner Classic Movies and Paramount Pictures.

Yul Brynner and Anne Baxter in a scene from the film.

Throughout film history, Hollywood has produced a number of sweeping epics and generation-defining movies. However, one Biblical saga – Cecil B. DeMille’s “The Ten Commandments” – has withstood the test of time.

Shot in Egypt and the Sinai on one of the biggest sets ever constructed for a motion picture, the 1956 film is universally acknowledged among critics as a cinematic masterpiece with a legendary cast including Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner, and Ann Baxter. From its Academy Award-winning director and revolutionary Oscar-winning special effects to its sweeping score and unforgettable sets, “The Ten Commandments” tells the inspiring story of Moses in all its stunning glory. Once favored in the Pharaoh’s household, he turns his back on a privileged life to lead his people to freedom.

In addition to numerous awards and accolades, the movie remains one of the biggest box office successes in cinema history (with theatrical sales adjusted for inflation).

The screening includes exclusive insights from Turner Classic Movies host Ben Mankiewicz.

In our neck of the woods the film will be screened at the AMC Stony Brook 17, 2196 Nesconset Highway, Stony Brook at 1 p.m. and again at 6 p.m. Running time is 3 hours 55 minutes. Rated G. To purchase tickets in advance, visit www.fathomevents.com.