Community

Stock photo

Senator Mario R. Mattera will host a blood drive at the Smith Haven Mall, Moriches Road, Lake Grove on Thursday, April 8 from noon to 6 p.m. at the mall’s Center Court. “Due to the ongoing crisis, it is crucial that we all join together to help the New York Blood Center replenish their supply,” he said. 

Donors with O-negative blood type, or “universal donors,” are especially encouraged to donate, as their blood is essential in emergency situations. A single donation can save up to three lives. 

To schedule an appointment or for more information, visit mattera.nysenate.gov and click on the link on the home page or call 800-933-2566.

Harbor Country Day School Student Council Photo from HCDS

Once again, the students of St. James’ Harbor Country Day School’s Student Council conducted their annual spring food drive to benefit the Smithtown Emergency Food Pantry. On March 24, more than 500 pieces of nonperishable food items, as well as a check for $98 raised via a St. Patrick’s ‘Dress-Down’ Day, were delivered to the Food Pantry.

As shared by Pat Westlake, the Director of the Smithtown Emergency Food Pantry, the COVID-19 pandemic has created a significant need for donated food and personal care items. Historically, those in need would simply visit the pantry to request items needed in their household. However, due to social-distancing requirements, families now ‘drive-through’ to receive pre-sorted packages of commonly-requested items. 

While it’s unfortunate that such a great need exists in the area, it’s fortunate that the surrounding communities have kept the pantry fairly well-stocked. In fact, although this was the second collection of this kind at Harbor this year, the Student Council matched the number of items donated during their first collection back in November.

“We are grateful for the support Harbor Country Day School has given us for the past 19-plus years. We always look forward to seeing the children’s smiling faces as they take time out of their busy school day to visit us,” said Westlake. 

“An integral member of our community for more than 60 years, Harbor is a perfect representation of the many wonderful ways we all rally together and lift each other up in times of need.”

Blaze

MEET BLAZE!

Blaze

This week’s shelter pet is Blaze, an eight year-old Male Pit who was rescued by Smithtown Animal Control Officers when he was found abandoned and left in a cage at Blydenburgh Park. As a result of this sad experience, he takes his time to trust a new person, but once he opens up, he shows just how playful, intelligent, and loving he can be. 

Blaze knows his basic commands like sit, wait, give paw, and he walks nicely on a leash. He needs an adult only home, without other pets, and an owner familiar with raising big breed dogs. Blaze deserves a furrever home that will spend time giving him the love (and treats) that he deserves, understanding that he had a tough life before being brought to the Smithtown Animal Shelter. He is neutered, microchipped and is up to date on his vaccines.

If you are interested in meeting Blaze, please call ahead to schedule an hour to properly interact with him in a domestic setting, which includes a Meet and Greet Room, the dog runs and a Dog Walk trail. 

The Smithtown Animal & Adoption Shelter is located at 410 Middle Country Road, Smithtown. Shelter operating hours are currently Monday to Saturday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Sundays and Wednesday evenings by appointment only). Call 631-360-7575 or visit www.smithtownanimalshelter.com.

Photo by Michael Perlotto

A STATUESQUE SIGHT

Michael Perlotto of Stony Brook snapped this incredible photo in mid-March. He writes, ‘I was walking at dusk on Trustees Road [at West Meadow Beach]. I rounded the corner and came upon this amazing scene.  I was the only one within eyesight … you could hear a pin drop as the deer stood off on the horizon.  I quickly took this picture with my iPhone as the deer stood perfectly still like statues!’

Send your Photo of the Week to [email protected]

Photo from Wikipedia

By Barbara Anne Kirshner

The boys of summer are back!  And with them the voice of the New York Yankees’ John Sterling, and the partner he’s referred to as his compadre for some 16 years now, Suzyn Waldman. For this Yankees fan, the start of the 2021 season, April 1st, featuring this pairing on Yankees radio, WFAN, can’t happen soon enough.

I grew up watching the Yankees with my mom, an avid Yankees fan. She knew all the players by name. During the late 1990’s into latter 2000, whenever Mariano Rivera came to the mound, Mom would say, “It’s all over now, the Sandman has arrived. It’s good night Irene.”  And to Mom’s delight, more times than not, Rivera would close the other team out. 

John Sterling. Photo from Wikipedia

In 2007, my mom suffered a major stroke with smaller ones to follow. She was in and out of hospitals and physical therapy centers. I was with her every day driving from my home in Miller Place sometimes to Port Washington, then to Glen Cove, then to Amityville and for a while, she was home in Plainedge.

During those long trips each day, I listened to WFAN and the Yankees game. It was at that time when John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman became my special friends, always there to make the drive I had to take more comfortable. Mom passed away September 2009 and the last time the Yankees won the World Series was November 4, 2009. I always felt that she sent the Yankees blessings from Heaven and that’s why they won that year.

Though my daily drives ended in 2009, my connection to WFAN and those Yankee broadcasters remained intact. I enjoy the clever repartee between Sterling and Waldman that, combined with their ability to detail every pitch, every hit, every base run, allows the listener to see the action clearly in the mind’s eye. 

Even at the times when I watch the game, I always turn down the volume on the television and turn up the volume on Sterling’s and Waldman’s play by play. Sorry, Michael Kay, but for me, no one compares to them. Sterling’s signature remarks add to the fun of the game. The amusing catchphrases Sterling has for each player combined with his final bellow for a Yankee victory of “BALLGAME OVER! THEEEEEEEE YANKEES WIN, THEEEEEEEE YANKEES WIN” and his calls for home runs of “It is high, it is far, it is gone!” adds an extra excitement to the game that I just can’t miss.

Suzyn Waldman. Photo from Wikipedia

In August 2020, due to health reasons, Sterling had to step away from his broadcast duties for several games and, though Waldman was her usual wonderful self, there was something BIG missing. The only other time Sterling stepped away from broadcasting the Yankees games was in 2019 for four games. Before that he called 5060 consecutive Yankees games.

This year, Sterling has made it known that he is in fine health even at 82 years of age so hopefully we can look forward to an entire season with the twosome doing their thing for the Yankees. Happily, the season begins on time not like last year at the height of COVID when the baseball season didn’t start until July 23 and ended after 60 games on September 27.

During spring training 2021, Sterling had the opportunity to call the March 15 and 22 baseball games with his former partner, Michael Kay, on the YES Network. It was good to see and hear my favorite sportscaster, but I look forward to his pairing with Waldman.

Sterling’s compadre, Waldman, is multi-talented. She was a musical theatre actress who segued into sportscasting, not an easy transition for a woman to make. Her opposition is well-documented. But she has maintained her dignity and flourished in sportscasting despite everything. At the Yankees home opener on July 31, 2020, Waldman sang the Star Spangled Banner, receiving high praise for her rendition.

The boys of summer return April 1st and with them the voices of John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman, still stellar after all these years together. So off to the broadcast booth we go for those familiar voices of Yankees baseball.

Miller Place resident Barbara Anne Kirshner is a freelance journalist, playwright and author of “Madison Weatherbee —The Different Dachshund.”

Standing, from left, Angela Cammarata, Service Coordinator for St. Joseph’s Village, Pharmacist Amanda School, Legislator Nick Caracappa, Pharmacist Dan Gambhir, Pharmacist and Owner of Bell Mead Pharmacy Ruby Masson. Seated: St. Joseph’s Village resident Elyse Biederman.
St. Joseph’s Village resident Elyse Biederman gets her vaccine shot.

This week, Legislator Nick Caracappa helped residents of a senior housing community in his district get their first COVID vaccine. St. Joseph’s Village in Selden, which houses approximately 230 residents, is managed by Catholic Charities of Long Island. Legislator Caracappa coordinated with Bell Mead Pharmacy in East Setauket to have pharmacists on-site over a two-day period to administer 50+ Moderna vaccines.

“I was thrilled to be part of what was truly a community effort to get these folks vaccinated,” stated Legislator Nick Caracappa. “A special thank you goes to Ruby Masson, owner of Belle Mead Pharmacy and her friendly staff, Angela Cammarata, Service Coordinator for St. Joseph’s Village who arranged the appointment schedule for the residents, and Lynn Reddy from Catholic Charities for working collaboratively with my office to get this accomplished and help keep our senior population safe.”

The Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office held a swearing in ceremony for 20 new Deputy Sheriff Recruits on Thursday, April 1, 2020, at the Maxine S. Postal Auditorium in the Riverhead County Center. These new Deputy Sheriff Recruits will begin a rigorous six-month training program that includes instruction in firearms, emergency vehicle operations (EVOC), EMT training, and individualized field training. The recruits will graduate in the early fall, joining a force consisting of 230 Suffolk County Deputy Sheriffs.

Sheriff Errol Toulon Jr. welcomed these new deputies to the Sheriff’s Office, reminding them that they “now hold a position of authority in Suffolk County, and with that authority comes great responsibility.”

For more information on the Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office Policing Division, please visit www.suffolksheriff.com.

Photos courtesy of Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office

Marisa Pizza with Legislator Nick Caracappa

Each year in March, Women’s History Month is celebrated in Suffolk County.  In 2002, the Legislature passed a Resolution (No. 786-2002) stating that each Suffolk County Legislator shall select a “Woman of Distinction” who resides in his/her respective Legislative District to be honored as such. For 2021, Legislator Nick Caracappa named Marisa Pizza of Farmingville as the Woman of Distinction in the Fourth Legislative District. Caracappa presented Ms. Pizza with a Proclamation and bouquet of flowers to commemorate the event.

For well over a decade, Marisa Pizza has been actively involved with the Farmingville Residents Association and the Farmingville Hills Chamber of Commerce, working diligently to improve the quality of life in her district.

Since 2011, she has been the Recording Secretary on the Executive Board of the Brookhaven Chambers of Commerce Coalition, being awarded the Brookhaven Chamber of Commerce Member of the Year award for 2020. Marisa joined Move to Amend Brookhaven in 2012, and currently serves as the Public Relations Coordinator. She also serves as Town of Brookhaven’s Women and Youth Advisory Board, as well as Vice Chair of the Green Party of Suffolk County.  Ms. Pizza states, “I enjoy working with everyone across Suffolk County, no matter their affiliations or lack thereof.”

When she is not engaged in community volunteering, Marisa also works at the Long Island Feline Adoption Center in Smithtown as the Event Coordinator.  Additionally, she is the News Director for the Graveyard Blues Radio Program, which airs on 94.3 ‘The Shark’ locally, as well as stations in Kansas City and the UK. 

“The list of Marisa’s accomplishments stated here are not exhaustive,” stated Legislator Caracappa. “I’ve never met a person who does so much for her community, and so willing to work with everybody. I consider it an honor and privilege to recognize her as the Woman of Distinction in the Fourth District, and thank her for all of her selfless efforts.”

Photo courtesy of Reboli Center

The Reboli Center for Art and History, 64 Main St., Stony Brook is inviting entries from now until April 21 for a unique fundraising exhibition, Miniatures to Make a Maximum Impact! All participating artists will have their artwork exhibited in the Reboli Design Shop throughout the month of May. “Miniature art has been venerated throughout history, and today there are Miniature Art Societies around the world. The delicate beauty and refinement of these works can be truly amazing.  Now we’re asking contemporary artists of all styles to “paint small” to help support our center and programs in a major way,” said Lois Reboli, a founder of the Reboli Center and the wife of the late artist Joseph Reboli.

“One free canvas will be given to each participant to create for our cause. All entries will be considered as a donation to the Reboli Center, a 501 (c) (3) organization, and all proceeds raised from the sale of each submitted artwork for this event will be used for our free programming and exhibitions,” added Reboli.

Contributing artists may also use their own stretched canvas, linen or panel, which must not exceed 36 square inches (6 inches x 6 inches). Any painting medium is acceptable, and framing is optional. Artists are welcome to submit up to five entries. The artwork must be your own original concept and not a copy of anyone else’s copyrighted material.

To request a free canvas and application, please contact the Reboli Center at 631-751-7707 or email [email protected]. An application may also be downloaded under Events at www.rebolicenter.org

The Huntington Arts Council recently announced the winners of its High Arts Showcase XVII art exhibit.

High Arts Showcase XVII is a component of the JOURNEY Arts in Education Program providing partner school 11th and 12th grade students with the opportunity to present their talents in a gallery setting through this exclusive visual art exhibition. Participating school districts include Cold Spring Harbor Jr/Sr High School, Commack High School, Harborfields High School, Huntington High School, King’s Park High School, Northport High School, Plainview-Old Bethpage John F. Kennedy High School, and Walt Whitman High School. For more information on the artists and their work click here.

Congratulations to the following students awarded Best in Show and Honorable Mentions for their work:
  • Best in Show
    “Isiah” by Anthony Colley, Harborfields High School
  • Honorable Mentions
    “Conceptual Portrait 1” by Samantha Drouin, Commack High School
    “Grandpa John” by Olivia DeFeo, Northport High School
    “Primary Tribal” by Kendal Eggert, Kings Park
    “The Son of Man” (video) by Lauren Gooding, Huntington High School

The exhibit is on view at the Huntington Arts Council’s website, www.huntingtonarts.org, through April 10.