Community

by -
0 140
Rev. Gregory Leonard with his daughter Maisha and wife, Marlyn. Photo by Heidi Sutton

After a 40-year career — 26 of those years spent in Setauket — one local pastor recently decided it was time to retire.

Rev. Gregory Leonard. Photo by Heidi Sutton

Known for his quiet presence and dedication to his religion and the community, the Rev. Gregory Leonard has stepped down as pastor of Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church on Christian Avenue. Shortly after his announcement, the congregation welcomed the Rev. Lisa Williams to step up to the pulpit.

Leonard said the congregation members have hit the ground running with their new pastor.

“I’m here, and I’m available if she needs any assistance or anything like that, but I’m pretty much in the background,” the pastor said.

He added that Bethel AME includes a group of people “who are very committed to the church and committed to striving to grow spiritually.” 

Originally from Boston, Leonard started his career in Cambridge, Massachusetts, as a pastor at St. Paul AME Church, and then moved to Atlanta, Georgia, to attend the seminary at the Interdenominational Theological Center. From there he spent seven years with a church in Providence, Rhode Island, and before coming to Setauket with his late wife Sandra and three children, was a pastor in Bermuda for two years.

Leonard said he has many good memories from Bethel AME. What stands out to him most is when the church saved Bethel Hobbs Community Farm in Centereach. Alfred Hobbs willed the farm to Bethel AME Church in 1996, and Ann Pellegrino asked to maintain the property nearly 15 years ago. Since 2007, the farm has been growing vegetables and other crops to donate to food pantries and people in need.

Leonard said church members, as well as local elected officials, helped make a difference.

“The community, and the greater community, is benefiting from them giving away the vegetables and the produce to those in need,” Leonard said. “So, that was a pretty big thing. The whole church got behind it and made it happen.”

Bethel AME congregants describe the reverend as a quiet and insightful man who doesn’t seek attention. Leonard said he believes in “get the job done, communicate and love one another — those are the important things.”

“He is a very humble man, very focused and very even keeled. Nothing really ruffled his feathers that much.”

~ Carole Manning

Carole and Ron Manning, of Coram, were already worshipping at Bethel AME when Leonard started pastoring there.

“He is a very humble man, very focused and very even keeled,” Carole Manning said. “Nothing really ruffled his feathers that much.”

Ron Manning agreed, saying the pastor has a calming presence. The couple said Leonard was the type of pastor who if he didn’t see you for a while, would pay a visit to see how you were.

“We got very lucky, and his tenure was never really questioned,” Ron Manning said. “He just kept going on until his retirement.”

Antoinette Miller, originally from Setauket who now lives in Florida, also first attended Bethel AME before Leonard began pastoring there. She remembers when he first arrived and the impression he made on the congregation.

“He is a great preacher, family man and community warrior,” Miller said. “He loves his church.”

Cynthia Shephard, who lives in Port Jefferson Station, added that the reverend is devoted to his religion and congregation. She said she will miss Leonard’s quiet dedication and humble presence where he would be involved in various meetings and stop by choir practice.

“He’s a very humble man, who has always been concerned about our spiritual welfare,” Shephard said.

Lisa Roller, who has been worshipping at the church for more than 20 years, first traveled from Middle Island to attend services. Now she makes the trip from Islip. Roller said she appreciated that Leonard is community-minded and at the same time an introvert like herself, something she appreciated when she first met him. She said to herself, “This is somebody that I need to stick with.”

She added her family always loved seeing him at the church.

“My mother has commented that he’s such a kind and gentle person,” she said.

Teresa White described Leonard as a “caring and genuine servant of God.” She said while he will be missed as the church’s pastor, he would remain a friend in the Setauket community.

“His strong faith in God has always been his anchor,” White said. “We will truly miss his humility, teaching and being inclusive of all people. He always emphasized the importance of our relationship with God and with one another.”

Leonard said he will continue to live in Setauket with his wife, Marlyn, and daughter, Maisha. He also plans to continue his volunteer work in the area which includes serving as a chaplain for the Setauket Fire Department and Long Island State Veterans Home at Stony Brook, and working with the Three Village Interfaith Clergy Association and Building Bridges of Brookhaven, an interfaith group that works to forge connections and encourage peace.

He also plans to continue being involved with the restoration of the historic 1917 Eato House on Christian Avenue in Setauket, which belonged to the church’s first pastor.

“I’m still involved, only I’m not on the frontline,” he said.

The Mannings said they aren’t surprised that he will still pursue his volunteer efforts in the community.

“He may not be the pastor but he will be involved in AME and the community, and help the community to move forward,” Ron Manning said. “I think that’s part of what he truly wants to do.”

1962 GTO

The Reboli Center for Art and History in Stony Brook is beaming with excitement to announce its June Artisan of the Month … Nelson Medina! Medina, who hails from the Bronx, is well known in the automobile industry nationwide for his meticulous hand crafted, pinstriping work and is now becoming more recognized for his incredibly detailed and expressive oil and acrylic paintings on canvas.

1957 Ferrari Testarossa

According to Medina, “I grew up in one of the most eventful cities in the world when the automobile industry was exploding with beautiful and powerful vehicles … a very cool period to have experienced. It was the summer of 1964 and I was 11 years old. I witnessed a gentleman pinstriping while on a night out with my parents … we stopped for maybe 15 minutes at the most … it was so impressive … the rest is history.”

Medina explained to the Reboli Center’s staff that, “All my talent comes from my Dad who was a true master sculptor in the field of wax for the jewelry trade. I always knew that I held a penchant for creativity and through time, dedication and determination, I’ve come to understand how to unite my body with my soul so they may perform as one doing what I love … this art form has allowed me the ability to express myself in many arenas… creating with color, balance and flavor.”

He also shared with us about a car accident that he experienced a few years ago. It was after this accident that he learned to develop an intense and inspiring love for his work on canvas. Painting quickly became Medina’s mistress.

1957 Ferrari 625

Thankfully, over time, he has developed a harmonious dance between designing, painting and pinstriping. Needless to say the Reboli Center is so very honored to have Nelson’s work featured in its gallery and also to have his help in the planning and execution of their current exhibition, Shifting Gears, and its related events. Medina’s work will be on display at the Reboli Center until July 18. You can also meet the artist by attending one of the Center”s Sunday Car Shows

The Reboli Center, 64 Main Street Stony Brook is free, and open Tuesday – Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.   For more information on the Artisan of the Month, please call the Center at 631-751-7707.

On Saturday, June 5, the Sound View Garden Club gathered to weed  and rake, prune and plant at the St. Charles Hospice Garden in Port Jefferson.

Flowers donated by Connie at GardenWorx in Miller Place were lovingly planted by the ladies of this club who have undertaken this project for over ten years. Their hands were blessed with water by the hospice chaplain who shared scripture and prayer with the gardeners. 

“It is with great pleasure that the garden club undertakes this endeavor that is greatly appreciated by the families who visit this very special place,” said Patrice Perreca, Vice President, Sound View Garden Club.

Photos from Patrice Perreca

Photo from PJCC

The Greater Port Jefferson Chamber of Commerce hosted a ribbon cutting for iV Bars of Port Jefferson on April 28. Town of Brookhaven Councilmember Jonathan Kornreich and the chamber presented owner Aaron Roberts with Certificates of Congratulations and wished him best of luck in his new venture.

Located at 5400 Nesconset Hwy, Port Jefferson Station, the franchise offers numerous types of intravenous fluids, vitamins and medicines to provide patients with vitamins and supplements to help treat the symptoms of hangovers, boost energy levels, hydrate the body, relieve chronic fatigue, and more.

Pictured from left, Lisa Castellano, iV administrator; chamber members Stuart Vincent and Matthew Fernandez; Town of Brookhaven Councilmember Jonathan Kornreich; Caleb Laues, iV manager; Aaron Roberts, iV owner; and chamber member Raquel Fernandez.

Hours of operation are noon to 6 p.m. Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. For more information, call 631-828-2692 or visit www.ivbars.com.

On Sunday, June 6, the sun was hot and the cars were even hotter looking on the Flowerfield grounds in St. James.

Thousands of spectators from all over Long Island, Brooklyn and Queens attended the event hosted by Long Island Cars to check out the hundeds of cars — from classic to modern and everything in between — on display throughout the day.

For more than 20 years, Long Island Cars has organized shows on the property, which usually start as early as April. Phyllis Aquino, a Long Island Cars representative, said the show was the first one on the grounds since the COVID-19 shutdowns began. “We wanted to wait until it was COVID-safe,” Aquino said.

Pixabay photo

The Whaling Museum, 301 Main St., Cold Spring Harbor seeks artists for its 85th Anniversary Juried Exhibit titled 10x10x85.

How does one interpret 85 years of maritime history? By inviting local artists to share their vision on a 10×10 canvas for a juried exhibition to celebrate and inspire, 10x10x85 will feature creative works using a 10×10 inch canvas provided by the museum as a starting point. From there, artists have the choice of painting directly on the canvas, creating a mixed media piece, assemblage, sculpture, or anything else that interprets “85” or “8” or “5,” as long as the finished piece can be hung on a wall. All works will be on sale for $100 each during the exhibition period. There will be a 50/50 split on proceeds with the artist.

All funds raised will support museum education programming. Jurors include Northport artist and former Northport High School art teacher Margaret Minardi, and botanical artist and instructor at The Art League of Long Island and The Atelier at Flowerfield, Elizabeth Fusco.

The exhibit will run from October to December. Deadline to enter is Sept. 1. $20 entry fee includes a 10″ by 10″ canvas. For more information, visit www.cshwhalingmuseum.org/85art.

Photo from WMHO
WMHO Science Camp

This summer, the Ward Melville Heritage Organization (WMHO)’s Summer of Science returns to in-person programming at the WMHO’s Ernst Marine Conservation Center at West Meadow Creek. Three sessions (each a four day program) will run depending on age group from July 12 to August 13. Registration is required for these programs. Depending on the program, cost per child is $250 to $275. Early Bird registration by June 15 will include a $25 reduction in the program rate.

These open-air outdoors programs emphasize hands-on exploration of plant and animals species along the shoreline, student driven research projects, and scavenger hunts to compare & contrast the marsh and sandy beach habitats. Salt Marsh Explorers (ages 6 to 9) runs from July 13 to 16, Salt Marsh Detectives (ages 10 to 12) runs from August 9 to 13. Both programs are $250 per student, start at 10am and end at 11:30am. Salt Marsh Scientists (ages 13 to 17) runs from July 26 to 30, is $275 per student, starts at 10 a.m. and ends at 1 p.m.

To learn more about WMHO’s Summer of Science programs, call 631-751-2244.

Photo from 4HAS
The Four Harbors Audubon Society hosts a horseshoe crab count at West Meadow Beach Trustees Road, Stony Brook on Saturday, June 5 from 8 to 9:30 a.m.
Join board member Patricia Paladines to count horseshoe crabs along the shore. Learn why these ancient creatures are important to people and other animals. A Town of Brookhaven parking sticker needed or pay at parking meters. Please bring mask or face covering.
Reservations are preferred. Please email Patricia Paladines at [email protected]m.

Old Field Montessori

Students, parents and teachers of the Montessori School at Old Field participated in the 13th annual Great Brookhaven Cleanup on May 15. “Everyone agreed that keeping the environment clean is always a worthy cause,” said Ditas Alcala, the school’s director.  Photo from Old Field Montessori