Brookhaven town has announced they are now accepting applications for COVID-19 Social Distancing Accommodations, which would allow businesses to expand outdoor seating and sales. This includes some retail establishments as well as houses of worship.
The permits are being fast tracked by the town and all fees are waived. This would immediately allow businesses to open up as Long Island enters Phase Two of reopening. All permits expire on Nov. 1.
The permits were partially formed thanks to the work of the Brookhaven Recovery Task Force, which Brookhaven Supervisor Ed Romaine (R) said “we have implemented this strategy to allow businesses to expand their operations beyond the confines of their four walls so that they can maintain distancing and keep their customers and employees safe without drastically reducing their operation.”
Types of eligible businesses include:
• Retail sales establishments
• Personal service shops
• Places of worship
• Health clubs
• Assembly and social recreation halls
• Movie theatres
• Non-degree-granting instruction/program except those associated with manufacturing or driver training
• Tasting rooms as an accessory to a permitted principal farm brewery, cidery, distillery, or winery use
• Large commercial retailer, except those deemed essential business
The application is available on the Town of Brookhaven website at www.BrookhavenNY.gov/RestartBrookhaven. For more information, call 631-451-6400.