The Suffolk County Police Department Highway Patrol Bureau, assisted by the New York State Police, arrested seven people during an overnight sobriety checkpoint in the Port Jefferson Station area June 29-30.
Police officers conducted a sobriety checkpoint at the corner of Route 25A and Hallock Avenue in Port Jefferson Station. The checkpoint was conducted as part of ongoing July 4th holiday enforcement operations for the prevention of injuries and fatalities associated with driving while ability impaired by alcohol and drugs. A total of 603 vehicles went through the checkpoint.
The following people were charged with driving while intoxicated:
- Michele Best, 40, of East Islip
- Roger Piacentini, 55, of Coram
- George Gallo, 49, of Rocky Point
- Blanca Escobar-Avalos, 32, of Washington, D.C.
- Christian Ramos, 21, of South Setauket
The following were charged with driving while ability impaired:
- Tariq Rana, 27, of Coram
- David Vargas, 53, of Hauppauge
The above individuals were scheduled to be arraigned at 1st District Court in Central Islip June 30.