Community

Executive Director of the Long Island Museum, Neil Watson (center) with his successors, Joshua Ruff (left) and Sarah Abruzzi (right) on the grounds of the LIM in front of the sculpture by Hans Van de Bovenkamp, “Montauk Sun & Moon,” 1986. Photo by Kristin Cuomo
Deputy Directors Sarah Abruzzi and Joshua Ruff named as successors

The Long Island Museum (LIM) in Stony Brook a Smithsonian affiliate dedicated to American history and art with a Long Island connection, announced May 5 that Executive Director, Neil Watson, will retire in October of 2022. During his nine years of dedicated leadership to the LIM, Watson introduced visitors to award winning exhibitions and educational programs, increased Museum membership, and enhanced musical programs. Along with Watson’s retirement, the LIM’s Board of Trustees also announced that the LIM’s current Deputy Directors, Sarah Abruzzi and Joshua Ruff will succeed Watson as Co-Executive Directors of the LIM.

Neil Watson’s contributions to the Long Island Museum have been beyond measure,” said Thomas M. Sullivan, the LIM’s Board of Trustees Chair. “His leadership and vision transformed the Museum into a more dynamic and representative reflection of our history and art. By assembling a fantastic group of talented people who shared his vision for how the museum serves the community, it is without question that Neil Watson had a transformative impact on the Long Island Museum.”

Since 2013, under Watson’s distinguished leadership, the LIM reopened the History Museum, initiated a new outdoor sculpture program and partnered with local organizations, such as the Sunday Street singer/songwriter series and North Shore Pro Musica, to bring a chamber music series to the community. During Watson’s tenure, the Museum’s annual operating budget has grown to nearly 3 million dollars and the Museum’s Endowment funds have doubled to over 40 million dollars. He also created a new level of membership to enhance and support the rich artistic talent on Long Island, entitled LIMarts: A Collaborative Arts Group, which currently has over 125 active artist members and offers the opportunity and space for the exhibition and sale of artwork.

“Retirement is never an easy decision, but it is even more difficult when you love what you do,” said Watson. “Here at LIM we are all dedicated to the idea that a museum can tell stories about who we are, through art, craft, history, music, and film. I could not be prouder of our accomplishments over the past nine years. Part of a director’s job is to imagine the future, and I felt strongly that we had two people in place who had the vision to take on the dual leadership model. Creative solutions make for creative outcomes, and the LIM culture is about trust, respect, and innovative thinking. I’m thankful to the Board, who were open to implementing a different model of museum leadership. I have the utmost confidence that Sarah and Joshua will bring their enthusiasm and expertise to guide the Museum into the next phase. As I take my exit, I can only thank them, the Board of Trustees, the gifted staff, and the community for giving me the most fulfilling years of my career.”

Sarah Abruzzi is an accomplished executive and fundraising professional with over 20 years of experience in the non-profit sector. Throughout her career, she has worked in all aspects of museum operations, including education, interpretation, collections management, volunteer coordination, fundraising, finance, HR, communications, and government relations.

Abruzzi grew up in Port Jefferson and remembers with great fondness her childhood visits to the LIM with her family. She first worked at the LIM in the late 2000s before spending eight years outside of the museum field serving as the lead fundraiser for Dr. Richard Leakey’s Kenya-based human origins research project at Stony Brook University. Abruzzi jumped at the chance to return to the LIM in 2017 as Director of Major Gifts and Special Projects. Abruzzi’s amiable management style and thoughtful approach to leadership paved the way for her promotion to Deputy Director/Director of Advancement & External Affairs in February 2019. Additionally, she previously served as Director of Raynham Hall Museum in Oyster Bay,  and The Three Village Historical Society in Setauket.

Entering his 25th year at the LIM, including the last three as a Deputy Director and the last nine as the Director of Collections & Interpretation, managing both the Curatorial and Education departments, Joshua Ruff has a proven track record of strong leadership, excellence, and versatility as well as years of expertise in all facets of museum operations.

A lifelong resident of New York State, he is a graduate of Syracuse University with BAs in Broadcast Journalism and in History, and Stony Brook University with a MA in History. After curating or co-curating nearly 70 exhibitions of a variety of scale and scope and many publications, Ruff is a recognized scholar of Long Island art and history, two crucial components of the Museum’s mission. In addition to co-authoring several books and exhibition catalogs, his articles have appeared in publications including the Magazine Antiques; American Art Review; New York Archives Magazine; and American History magazine. Beyond his work at the Long Island Museum, Ruff has served in a variety of service capacities for outside organizations, including as Grant Reviewer for NYSCA’s Museum Program (2015-2018) and as an incoming member of the Board of Directors for the Museum Association of New York (2022-2025).

Neil Watson has been such a dynamic and collaborative leader for this museum, and we have learned and gained so much from him. We will miss him,” said Joshua Ruff,  Deputy Director and Director of Collections & Interpretation at the LIM.  “Sarah and I are thankful to the Board for this leadership opportunity and we are really excited for this new chapter. We’ll work hard with all our talented colleagues to take the LIM to new and exciting achievements,” Ruff continued.

Neil’s humility and humor have helped shape the LIM into the treasured community resource it is today,” said Sarah Abruzzi, Deputy Director and Director of Advancement & External Affairs. “Josh and I are honored to be a special part of Neil’s legacy and look forward to continuing his tradition of honest, inclusive, and transparent leadership in service of the Museum, our colleagues, and the community we all care so deeply about.”

The new organizational structure builds upon the strong and collaborative work environment that Watson cultivated at the LIM during his tenure. Over the past several years, the three have worked closely with the rest of the LIM’s talented Senior Staff to create a culture of equability and opportunity among the entire LIM staff of 39 people. Watson’s visionary plan of streamlining LIM’s work flow into two main areas will take place in October with Ruff responsible for Collections and Programming, and Abruzzi responsible for Operations.

“I can’t stress enough how supportive and instrumental Neil was to the expansion of the LIM’s Education Department,” said Lisa Unander, Director of Education at the Long Island Museum since 2013 and at the Museum for the past 16 years.

“His unique non-hierarchical and highly creative approach can be credited for how the LIM has been able to push the boundaries of our programs and become the even more inclusive community centered organization it is today. It won’t be the same without him, but he has instilled a welcoming, positive and vibrant workplace culture that I know Sarah and Joshua will continue to build upon as they continue the museum’s mission,” Unander continued.

Exhibitions during Watson’s career at the LIM include the groundbreaking Long Road to Freedom: Surviving Slavery on Long Island, the first major museum project to examine slavery from a Long Island regional historical perspective, Walt Whitman’s Arcadia: Long Island Through the Eyes of a Poet & Painters to mark the American bard’s 200th Birthday, and Fire & Form: New Directions in Glass, a visually striking exhibition featuring more than 50 works from nine contemporary artists.

Watson is known for his community engagement and charismatic style, and while serving as the Executive Director of the Katonah Museum of Art for nearly eight years, he also served on the Board of the Katonah Chamber of Commerce, as well as the Board of Arts Westchester, and as a museum panelist for the New York State Council for the Arts (NYSCA). Prior to joining the LIM, Watson was the former Chief Curator of the Museum of Glass in Tacoma, Washington and the former Curator of Contemporary Art at the Norton Museum of Art in West Palm Beach, FL.

About the Long Island Museum

Located at 1200 Route 25A in Stony Brook, the Long Island Museum is a Smithsonian Affiliate dedicated to enhancing the lives of adults and children with an understanding of Long Island’s rich history and diverse cultures. Regular museum hours are Thursday through Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. Admission is $10 for adults, $7 for seniors, and $5 for students 6 -17 and college students with I.D. Children under six are admitted for free. For more information visit longislandmuseum.org.

File photo from Pixabay

This 5K race will be held Sunday, May 15, and will help raise money and awareness for victims of post-traumatic stress disorder and support for the Joseph P. Dwyer Program.  

Participants will trek through the roads, trails, hills and track of the Rocky Point High School and Conservation Area.

Registration to begin at 10 a.m. in front of Rocky Point High School: 82 Rocky Point-Yaphank Road, Rocky Point NY 11778.

Earl L. Vandermeulen High School, above, will serve as the polling site for this year’s board of education election. File photo

By Raymond Janis

As election day approaches, candidates for the Port Jefferson School District Board of Education had an opportunity to share their thoughts on the major issues facing the district.

During a virtual panel on May 9, candidates Ellen Boehm, Randi DeWitt, Paul Ryan and write-in candidate Don Pollard each spoke in turn. The candidates covered a wide range of subjects from declining student enrollment to possible redistricting schemes to infrastructure investments and more.

Ellen Boehm

Boehm has served on the Board of Education for 10 years and is currently president. Commenting on her many family members who graduated from Port Jefferson schools, she said, “The royal blood runs thick in our family.”

Throughout her time on the board, Boehm has maintained active involvement in several clubs and volunteer organizations. She has taught religious classes at the Infant Jesus R.C. Church, planned the centennial celebration of Port Jefferson High School and is a self-proclaimed sports mom, arts mom and class mom.

“Volunteering really has given me enjoyment while connecting with the students and other parents in the community,” she said. “I am running again to continue to serve the students and families of Port Jeff and to help keep our great programs great.”

Boehm said building a consensus among community members will be the biggest obstacle facing the school board in the coming term. Although some have suggested a possible merger with another school district, Boehm sees opportunities for district expansion through redistricting.

“If we can somehow redistrict, we increase the [number of] families and potentially increase our enrollment,” she said, adding, “We have to start thinking bigger than how we are falling apart. There are things that have to be done with the infrastructure … but we have to identify the things we treasure in Port Jeff.”

Boehm favors the redistricting approach over any potential merger with a neighboring district. If Port Jeff were to merge, Boehm believes the district would lose much of its identity. “We all know what happened when Mount Sinai pulled out,” she said. “To me, a merger would be the last thing I would want to do, but I would really like to look into expanding the district.”

Randi DeWitt

DeWitt has been a teacher in the Mount Sinai School District for 24 years, teaching a first grade inclusion class for the bulk of that time. She has been on the Port Jefferson school board for three years. 

DeWitt has served on the policy and curriculum committees of the school board and this year chaired the facilities committee. Currently she serves on the executive board for the Port Jefferson prom, which she said jokingly is “probably more time consuming than anything that I have ever done in my entire life.”

A long-time resident of Port Jefferson, she described the many ways in which she has immersed herself into the community culture. “I enjoy playing softball on Tuesday nights and volleyball and golf … and tennis,” she said. “That’s something that I really enjoy doing and that I love about our community.”

DeWitt considers declining enrollment and aging infrastructure to be the two greatest problems facing the district. 

Declining enrollment is an issue which affects the community as a whole, she said, adding that infrastructure investments are necessary to keep the district competitive.

“We have a school with an outstanding reputation, but I really do think that our facilities are in need of some modernization,” she said. “We have some [Americans with Disabilities Act] compliance needs that have to be met, some safety concerns across our buildings and grounds and … in order to draw those young families we really need to look at the exterior and interior of our schools and we really just need to be appealing.”

On the topic of a possible merger, DeWitt concurred with Boehm. “I went to Port Jeff and have a very strong sense of passion for our district,” she said. “I just couldn’t imagine a Port Jeff student or athlete wearing anything other than Port Jeff. That would be tough.” She added, “I definitely would never want to lose our sense of identity.”

Paul Ryan 

Ryan went to Scraggy Hill Elementary and Port Jefferson Junior High before attending The Stony Brook School. For nearly 20 years, he was away in China studying to become a practitioner of Chinese medicine, then returned to Port Jeff.

While Ryan was in China, he taught English to Chinese students. When he returned to the United States, he filled a vital need during a critical time in the community’s history, serving as polling inspector when some seniors had left their posts in fear of the COVID-19 virus.

“When there’s an opportunity, I do my best to step up and that’s why I’m stepping up for the school board,” he said. 

Ryan said building a relationship between the community and the school will be essential to keep the school district operating through this period of declining enrollment. He hopes to identify a prospective niche that will help the district draw more families to the district. 

“We know that people move to Port Jefferson for the special needs program,” Ryan said. “So is there a way that we can build off of something like that?” He added that additional language programs would represent another possible niche and could offset some of the diversity and inclusion problems that the district is also facing. 

Ryan considers redistricting unrealistic. “The people that I have talked to about redistricting say it’s very unlikely that it would happen,” he said. “I don’t think there’s another school district around us that is going to give up its student population.” He added, “As far as mergers go, we can avoid a merger if the school and the school board … have strong community support.”

Don Pollard

Relatively new to the district and the area, Pollard has lived in Port Jefferson for six years. His background is in finance and he now runs a small brokerage firm. 

Before he moved to Port Jeff village, Pollard volunteered at Habitat for Humanity. He was active in Caroline Episcopal Church of Setauket, working to grow the parish and its finances. He helped to successfully organize a Halloween dance for the school and has served on the parents advisory board for sports, helping to expand the district’s athletics program. 

For Pollard, the greatest obstacle facing the district is declining enrollment. “In three years, when we have 60 kids in a class, everything else is really secondary because we won’t have a school district, or it’s going to be really difficult to maintain a school district,” he said.

Pollard proposed creating a task force between local government and the school district to map out a course of action which can better address the enrollment dilemma. He said mitigating the enrollment problem will require joint efforts between the school board, local government, village residents and parents. Pollard also suggested that strengthening the athletics department could help to curb declining enrollment as parents would have less incentive to send their children off to private schools with stronger sports programs.

On the question of a possible merger, Pollard said the board must find ways to prevent this scenario. “That should be first and foremost,” he said.

Earl L. Vandermeulen High School, above, and Comsewogue High School, below, will serve as the polling sites for this year’s school budget and board of education elections. File photos

By Raymond Janis

Next week, community members will have an opportunity to weigh in on the direction of their local schools.

On Tuesday, May 17, the Port Jefferson and Comsewogue school districts will hold public votes seeking approval of their proposed annual budgets and trustee elections. 

Port Jefferson School District

The proposed budget of $46,114,331 has a tax levy increase of 1.74%, which falls below the district’s allowable tax cap limit of 2%. State aid has increased from $3.8 million to $3.84 million.

According to a newsletter from the school district, the proposed 2022-23 budget is designed to maintain and expand upon robust educational initiatives for students while being fiscally mindful of the impact on taxpayers.

The budget allows for the addition of new high school electives, including the introduction of the AP Capstone program. The budget also expands the district’s pre-K program to full day and extends the Integrated Co-Teaching program for grades K-2.

Residents will also vote on projects to renovate the elementary school pool ($533,612), high school athletic event bleachers ($561,000) and high school roofing ($105,387).

Also on the ballot is a $2,335,000 proposition to use the district’s capital reserves to address drainage and retaining walls at the middle school. This second proposition is at no cost to taxpayers and does not affect the tax levy limit.

Voting takes place May 17 from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. at the high school cafeteria.

Comsewogue Union Free 

School District

The proposed expenditure budget for the 2022-23 academic year totals $102,117,258, a 3.7% increase from the previous year. State aid has increased to $35.6 million from $33.2 million, a 7.2% change. It is estimated the average homeowner will pay an extra $162 in annual taxes. 

According to minutes from a May 5 budget hearing, the stated goals of the proposed budget are to increase student learning and maximize student potential by enhancing the quality of instruction throughout the district. 

Through this budget, the board also hopes to ensure a safe, secure and orderly environment that supports student learning. Additionally, it seeks to ensure fiscal responsibility, stability and accountability through a transparent process that has the support of the community, developing a school district budget that is taxpayer sensitive and aligns with the district’s student learning objectives. 

Also on the ballot is Proposition Two, which if approved will reauthorize capital appropriations not exceeding $500,000 to finance health and safety items from the buildings conditions survey, drainage, sidewalks, among other capital investments. It is anticipated that there will be no increase in taxes due to this proposition.

The vote will be held from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. in the gymnasium of Comsewogue High School, located at 565 N. Bicycle Path, Port Jefferson Station. 

Photo from PSEG

For the fourth consecutive year, PSEG Long Island has earned the ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence Award, the most prestigious ENERGY STAR award offered by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

PSEG Long Island was recognized for its incentives and rebate programs that encourage customers to buy the most energy-efficient lighting fixtures and appliances.

“PSEG Long Island values its partnership with ENERGY STAR, and we’re excited to see the impact we’ve made to help customers save on their energy bills and reduce their carbon footprint,” said Michael Voltz, PSEG Long Island director of Energy Efficiency and Renewables. “We are proud to be recognized for our ongoing commitment to a clean energy future.”

Each year, the ENERGY STAR program honors a group of businesses and organizations that have made outstanding contributions to protecting the environment through superior energy achievements. ENERGY STAR award winners are selected from a network of thousands of ENERGY STAR partners. They lead their industries in the production, sale and adoption of energy-efficient products, homes, buildings, services and strategies ─ efforts that are essential to fighting the climate crisis and protecting public health.

PSEG Long Island ENERGY STAR savings for customers

PSEG Long Island customers can save money and cut their fossil fuel use by purchasing the most energy efficient outdoor equipment with rebates of up to $600 on lawn, garden and pool equipment. Using energy efficient pool heaters, lawnmowers and lawn equipment can help reduce customers’ carbon footprint and also lower energy bills. Also, chargeable electric tools are quieter, cleaner and easier to use than traditional gas equipment; and they require less maintenance. To view PSEG Long Island’s ENERGY STAR ® rebates and learn about other energy efficiency programs, visit www.psegliny.com/efficiency.

Since 2014, PSEG Long Island has provided more than $360 million in rebates to customers purchasing energy-efficient appliances, lighting fixtures and other home and commercial equipment, saving approximately 2.3 million MWh of energy. This is equivalent to removing more than 214,000 gasoline-fueled cars from our roads or the amount of energy required to power more than 193,500 homes annually.

“We know it’s going to take all of us working together to tackle the climate crisis, and the 2022 ENERGY STAR award-winning partners are demonstrating what it takes to build a more sustainable future,” said EPA Administrator Michael S. Regan, who noted that companies like PSEG Long Island “are showing once again that taking action in support of a clean energy economy can be good not only for the environment, but also for business and customers.”

ENERGY STAR® is the government-backed symbol for energy efficiency, providing simple, credible, and unbiased information that consumers and businesses rely on to make well-informed decisions. Thousands of industrial, commercial, utility, state, and local organizations—including more than 40 percent of the Fortune 500®—rely on their partnership with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to deliver cost-saving energy efficiency solutions. Since 1992, ENERGY STAR and its partners helped American families and businesses avoid more than $500 billion in energy costs and achieve more than 4 billion metric tons of greenhouse gas reductions. More background information about ENERGY STAR’s impacts can be found at www.energystar.gov/impacts and state-level information can be found at www.energystar.gov/statefacts.

Pixabay photo

The Whaling Museum and Education Center, 301 Main St., Cold Spring Harbor is hosting its first ever New York State Certified Safe Boating Course! Two dates will be offered for students age 10 and older to receive their boating certificate. The first course is being offered on Saturday, May 14th at 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The second course is being offered on Saturday June 25th from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m,.The cost to attend is $25 and includes a pizza lunch and viewing of the museum’s exhibits.

The course meets the New York State education requirement for the Personal WaterCraft Operation Permit, Youth and Adult Boating Certificate. Students will receive a temporary safe boating card that is good for 90 days. To receive the permanent safe boating card, students must register their score with NYS. Details will be provided during the course on how to do this.

To register, visit www.cshwhalingmuseum.org or call 631-367-3418.

Stock photo

School breaks and increased travel have caused a dramatic decrease in blood donations; types O and B have dropped to 1-to-2-day level

New York Blood Center (NYBC) announced a blood emergency today, as school spring breaks and holiday travel have caused an alarming drop in donations over the past six weeks. All blood types are low and type O is at just a 1-to-2-day level.

This shortage occurs amid increasing COVID rates, which can be attributed to the highly contagious Omicron subvariant BA.2.12.1 that has been spreading rapidly throughout New York and surrounding areas. For example, New York City’s COVID transmission rate has increased 32% in the last 10 days. Last Monday, the city raised its COVID alert level to medium as cases surpassed a rate of 200 per 100,000 people in the five boroughs.

Hospitals and patients rely upon a steady flow of volunteer donors to receive life-saving blood donations, but the recent spike in cases and spring break travel have caused uncertainty. Donor participation has reached record lows at blood drives and donor centers.  In the last 6 weeks, NYBC has seen approximately 6000 fewer blood donors versus earlier this year.

“This time of the year always tends to be difficult for the blood supply, with school spring breaks and increased travel making blood donations less of a priority. These factors are now coinciding with increasing COVID cases and a potential fifth wave of the pandemic,” said Andrea Cefarelli, Senior Executive Director at New York Blood Center. “One blood donation has the ability to save up to three lives. We highly encourage all who are able to donate today to help New Yorkers who need it most.”

It only takes one hour to donate, and a single donation can save multiple lives. Roughly one in seven hospital admissions require a blood transfusion. Those in need include: cancer patients, accident, burn, or trauma victims, transplant recipients, surgery patients, chronically transfused patients suffering from sickle cell disease or thalassemia, and many more.

To make an appointment at a local blood drive, donors can call 1-800-933-2566 or visit by visiting nybc.org.

Chris Wagner with his owl carving. Photo from Reboli Center

The Reboli Center’s May Artisan of the month is Chris Wagner, Chainsaw Carving Connoisseur.

Chris Wagner was born and raised on Long Island and resides in West Sayville. He is a trained chef and director of food services at a health care facility. It was while that he was working as a chef and researching ice sculpting that he added another dimension to his career. He was enamored by the technique of carving, all be it a bit dangerous, but was compelled to learn the trade. In the summer of 2013 he spent several days learning the basic techniques with well-known carver Barre Pinske at his studio in Vermont. He left with a new creative side job and a love of the medium.

A pelican carving by Chris Wagner. Photo from Reboli Center

Over the years he developed his craft and was able to establish a shop at a local firewood distribution center – provided with a continuous source of discarded wood and an area conducive to the level of noise he generates during his creative process.

Chris Wagners’s statues are primarily animals, very detailed oriented. His pieces are carved with a massive blade. He brings birds and animals to life in a variety of woods. When completed, he uses a blowtorch to burn a smooth finish on each design. This technique illustrates the natural grain in the wood and adds a depth to each piece. To withstand inclement weather, the final step is to stain the work after a relief cut is installed in the back of the sculpture to preserve the wood. Consequently, with chainsaw carving, no two pieces are alike so each one is a one-of-a kind original work of art. He does accept commissions, so please contact The Reboli Center.

According to Chris, “I am familiar with Joe Reboli’s work and he was an amazing artist. I am so honored and thankful to be able to show my work in a museum named for him.” Lois Reboli, president and founder of The Reboli Center said, “This is the first time we have had a chainsaw carving sculptor as our artisan of the month. We are so proud to feature his unique and whimsical work. It is a wonderful addition to our current “Bloom” and floral exhibit at the Center. We hope everyone will be as thrilled with his sculptures as we are.”

The Reboli Center is located at 64 Main Street in Stony Brook, and is open Tuesday to Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Sunday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is free and for more information, please call 631-751-7707.

The following incidents have been reported by Suffolk County Police:

Centerport

■ A 2019 Honda Pilot valued at $20,000 was stolen from a driveway on Arthur Street in Centerport on April 26. The keys had been left inside the unlocked vehicle. 

■ A resident on Coolidge Drive in Centerport reported that his 2017 Toyota Prius was stolen from his driveway on April 26. The vehicle, valued at $18,000, had been left unlocked with the keys inside.

Centereach

■ Walgreens on Middle Country Road in Centereach reported a shoplifter on April 26. A woman allegedly stole assorted cleaning products valued at $100.

■ Walgreens on Middle Country Road in Centereach reported that a man allegedly stole 12 cases of beer valued at $170 on April 26. 

■ A customer shopping at Walmart on Middle Country Road in Centereach reported that her wallet was stolen from her purse which had been left unattended in a shopping cart on April 30.

Cold Spring Harbor

■ A resident on Glen Way in Cold Spring Harbor called the police to report that his 2022 Mercedes Benz GLC300 was stolen from his driveway on April 30. The vehicle was valued at $55,000. The keys may have been left inside.

Commack

■ Walmart on Crooked Hill Road in Commack reported that a man allegedly broke a lock to a cabinet on April 29 and stole Nintendo game cards valued at approximately $300 before fleeing. The lock was valued at $200.

■ A shoplifter was reported at Marshalls on Henry Street in Commack on April 29. A woman allegedly stole assorted clothing items valued at approximately $270.

Greenlawn

■ A resident on Massey Court in Greenlawn reported that his BMW X5 was stolen on April 26. The vehicle, which was left unlocked with the keys in it, was valued at $30,000.

Huntington Station

■ Prestige Auto Wraps & Detailing on West Pulaski Road in Huntington Station reported that a customer’s 2021 Jeep was stolen from the premises on April 29. 

■ Target on East Jericho Turnpike in Huntington Station reported that three men entered the store on April 24 and allegedly stole a Cricut cutting machine valued at $430 and miscellaneous cleaning supplies totaling $150. 

■ A customer at Dunkin Donuts on Walt Whitman Road in Huntington Station reported that he left his 1998 Dodge Stratus running and unattended with the keys inside on April 25 and when he came out of the store the car was gone. 

■ A customer shopping at Food Plaza on New York Avenue in Huntington Station on April 26 reported that her cell phone was stolen from her unattended pocketbook.

■ USA Gas on New York Avenue in Huntington Station called the police on April 28 to report that a man allegedly pumped $80 worth of gas and left without paying.

Lake Grove

■ A resident on Chester Street in Lake Grove called the police on April 26 to report that someone stole four ADT security key pads from a bin in their yard. The items were valued at $300.

■ Macy’s at the Smith Haven Mall in Lake Grove reported a grand larceny on April 26. Three women and a man allegedly stole miscellaneous clothing valued at over $2100.

■ Victoria’s Secret at the Smith Haven Mall called the police to report that two women allegedly stole assorted apparel valued at approximately $2,000 on April 29.

■ Verizon Wireless at the Smith Haven Mall in Lake Grove reported that man entered the store and allegedly stole an iPhone 13 Pro Max valued at $1,100 on April 18.

Mount Sinai

■ Rite Aid on Nesconset Highway in Mount Sinai reported that two men allegedly stole 16 cases of assorted beers valued at $270 on April 25.

Nesconset

■ A Samsung Galaxy tablet with a case was stolen from an unlocked vehicle parked on Smithtown Blvd. in Nesconset on April 27. 

Port Jefferson Station

■ Assorted hand tools and a pair of sunglasses valued at approximately $2150 were allegedly stolen from a building under construction at Brightview Senior Living on Route 112 in Port Jefferson Station on April 26.

St. James

■ A resident on Woodlawn Avenue in St. James reported that a 2016 Yamaha Quad YFZ450R was stolen from their backyard shed on April 27. The vehicle was valued at $8,000.

South Setauket

■ Target on Pond Path in South Setauket reported a shoplifter on April 29. A man and a woman allegedly stole eight LEGO sets and cans of Enfamil. The merchandise was valued at $1,165.

Suffolk County Crime Stoppers offers a cash reward for information that leads to an arrest. Anyone with information about these incidents can contact Suffolk County Crime Stoppers to submit an anonymous tip by calling 1-800-220-TIPS.

— COMPILED BY HEIDI SUTTON