Community

'The Goonies'

Middle Country Public Library, 101 Eastwood Blvd., Centereach will present the following free outdoor events for the community this summer:

Music Under the Stars: Petty Rumours

Thursday, July 12 from 7 to 8:30 p.m.

Join Petty Rumours for an unforgettable evening of music. This show will bring together over four decades of hits from Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks, Fleetwood Mac and the Traveling Wilburys. As this concert will be held outside, patrons should bring their own chairs and/or blankets. Food trucks will be on hand beginning at 6pm and performance begins at 7 p.m.

Music Under the Stars: 20 Highview

Tuesday, August 9 from 7 to 9 p.m.

Get down with 20 Highview, a nine-piece powerhouse band specializing in dance classics with funk grooves. They will cover classics from the 60’s up to the present day. As this concert will be held outside, patrons should bring their own chairs and blankets. Food trucks will be on hand beginning at 6pm and performance begins at 7 p.m.

MCPL Under the Stars Movie Night: ‘The Goonies’

Wednesday, August 17 from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Join us for an outdoor viewing of the movie, The Goonies! As this movie will be held outside, patrons should bring their own chairs and blankets. In the event of rain, the program will be rescheduled for August 25. Food truck will be on hand beginning at 7 p.m. and movie begins at 8 p.m.

For more information, call 631-585-9393

'Row Me Away' by Jan Guarino

*This article has been updated on July 7, 2022.

The Huntington Historical Society will present a series of summer art workshops for adults at the Conklin Barn, 2 High Street, Huntington starting on July 12:

Collaging 

GIVEN BY: ANNE FOX 

Free yourself of the usual art rules with Paper Collage. Merely with a pair of scissors, glue, and some maga zines, you can let your imagination fly and create a colorful work of art. Do abstract, do figurative, do land scapes. Let the scissors and your imagination be your guides. 

Tuesday, July 12th 1-3 pm or Tuesday, July 26th 1-3 pm 

Member price $35 Non-member price $45, Class size limited to 15 

Fearless Watercolors  – Only one spot left!

GIVEN BY: JAN GUARINO 

Artist Jan Guarino

I was once you… Struggling to become a better watercolorist and felt I was missing many of the basics needed  to be excel. Having taught watercolors for the past 15 years I know what you need and can help you build your  painting skills with specific techniques, my clear process to putting paint and water to paper will help you  more successfully express your passion for this medium. I’ll teach you in a way that emulates what I needed  as a student and didn’t get. This Basics Workshop takes many pieces and pulls them together in this 3-evening  workshop. Learn the correct brush strokes, understand color wheel, avoid muddy results, saving and correcting  whites and much more. The outcome will be that you become empowered by clear and innovative ideas. You  already have the passion and desire, combined with my suggestions ~ you can become a more confident water colorist. All it takes is you and practice! 

*Three Wednesday nights-3-part series, 6:30-9:00 pm, *July 27th, August 3rd, August 10th Member price $120, non-member price $150, Class size limited to 20 

Calligraffiti  

GIVEN BY: HELEN MURDOCK-PREP 

We all know how to type and text— but let’s get back to the power of the pen by learning the Art of Beautiful  Handwriting in this style called, Calligraffiti! Using a brush marker, we’ll have fun expressing ourselves in  this exciting, cursive lettering form that adds bold graffiti elements to make our words pop! Thursday, July 28th 1-3 pm or Thursday, August 11th 7-9pm  

Member price $35 Non-member price $45, Class size limited to 20

*Day time workshops – coffee, tea and delicious baked goods will be served!

*Night time workshops- wine, seltzer, fruit and cheese will be served!

For more information or to register, visit www.huntingtonhistoricalsociety.org.

'Spider-Man: No Way Home' will be shown at Crab Meadow Beach in Northport on July 13.

Supervisor Ed Smyth and the Town of Huntington Department of Parks and Recreation will launch the 2022 Drive-In Movies on Wednesday, July 13 at Crab Meadow Beach on Waterside Road in Northport, expanding additional movie dates to new locations across Town.

“In an effort to make Huntington’s recreational experiences more accessible, we are taking our Drive-In Movies on the road,” said Supervisor Ed Smyth. “I hope to see you all at the movies!”

The 2022 Town of Huntington Drive-In Movies lineup is as follows – all movies start at 8:30 p.m.:

Wednesday, July 13

SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME

Crab Meadow Beach

Waterside Road, Northport

Wednesday, July 27

GREASE

West Neck Beach

West Neck Road, Lloyd Harbor

Wednesday, August 3

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

Dix Hills Park

Vanderbilt Parkway, Dix Hills

Wednesday, August 10

BLACK PANTHER

Huntington Senior Center

423 Park Avenue, Huntington

Wednesday, August 17

ENCANTO

Huntington Senior Center

423 Park Avenue, Huntington

*Admittance is free and limited to Town of Huntington residents.

Gates open at 6 p.m. and movies start at dusk (approximately 8:30  p.m). Movies are shown on a 40-foot screen, easily seen from all parking spots.

Movie audio will be broadcast on FM radio frequency (channel 99.3) to watch the movie from a vehicle. There will also be speakers for attendees who bring lawn chairs to sit outside.

For information, or in the case of inclement weather, please check out the Parks & Rec Facebook page or visit huntingtonny.gov/parks

For up-to-the-minute movie information, call (631) 351-3089.

Concluding a hotly contested election season in the Village of Port Jefferson, Rebecca Kassay and Lauren Sheprow were sworn into office for two-year terms on Monday, July 4.

Joined by family and friends, Trustee Rebecca Kassay takes the oath of office. Photo by Raymond Janis

Immediately after dozens of groups and community organizations paraded through the streets for the Fourth of July celebration, community members gathered on the front lawn of Village Hall for the formal swearing-in ceremony. 

Members of Cub Scout Pack 41 performed the ceremonial raising of the flag, which featured a historic 46-star flag that was donated by the Squires family. For more on this flag, see The Port Times Record’s April 28 story, “Squires family heirloom returns to Port Jefferson.”

Following the flag ceremony, Mayor Margot Garant, Deputy Mayor Kathianne Snaden and Trustee Stan Loucks gathered on the steps of Village Hall to join their incoming colleagues. Barbara Sakovich, the Village clerk, administered the oath of office to Kassay and Sheprow, who each took the oath while surrounded by family and friends. 

Upon taking office for a second term, Kassay thanked members of the Port Jeff community for entrusting her to continue her work on the Village Board. 

“Thank you everyone for being here today, for being a part of this village and for entrusting part of it with me,” she said. “It’s truly humbling to be entering my second term, and I am so very much looking forward to continuing to add strength to this already strong community.”

Trustee Lauren Sheprow sworn in for her first term of office. Photo by Raymond Janis

Sheprow, a first-time public officeholder, was surrounded by a sizable party of family members, including children, grandchildren and her father, former Mayor Hal Sheprow. 

On a similar note as Kassay, Sheprow thanked the community members for their support. “I can’t express how grateful I am that the Village of Port Jefferson has put their faith and trust in me to represent them for these next two years,” the new trustee said, adding, “I hope that I can live up to that faith and trust.”

The trustees took their seats before the public the following night. For more on this meeting, see The Port Times Record’s July 7 story, “Port Jeff board of trustees updates public on recreation, vandalism and local heroism.”

Birdhouse by Chris Kelsch

The Reboli Center for Art & History’s July artisan of the month is Chris Kelsch.

Chris Kelsch, born and raised in Stony Brook, creates incredible birdhouses, in a wide range of unique woods. He developed his distinctive style over years of education, experimentation, and adventures.

Chris credits his shop teacher, Dean Jenkins, with inspiring his passion for woodworking. After serving in the military, Chris attended Delhi Technical College where he studied carpentry and woodworking.

After college, Chris joined the team of woodworkers at Tanglewood Conservatories in Maryland where they design and build custom high-end conservatories and greenhouses from exotic hardwoods. His role was to focus on the intricate architectural aspects such as corbels, pilasters and detailed window frames to house the stained glass windows.

His fondness for exotic woods led him to discover a mill in Pennsylvania that provides Martin Guitar with beautiful rare woods. He also found amazing antique barn woods.

When Chris retired in 2017, he started making bird, bat, butterfly and bee houses.  “I enjoy creating safe houses for wildlife,” he explains. I love using rare wood and antique barn wood as they create solid birdhouses. The stability of these woods ensures a solid and quality house. I also appreciate how beautiful grains contrast with the patina of barn wood.” He noted that some of the barn wood he uses is 300 years old.

“I am thrilled to be able to display my work at the Reboli Center,” Chris said. Joe Reboli was a big part of my life as my older brothers were friends with him. In fact, my mother referred to Joe as her ‘other’ son. The Reboli Center is close to my heart, and all involved are beautiful people with a beautiful mission.”

Lois Reboli, president and founder of The Reboli Center said, “I have known Chris a long time and love his work. His birdhouses are so beautiful and unique that it is a pleasure to sell his pieces in the Design Shop and to have him as our July artisan.”

The Reboli center is located at 64 Main Street in Stony Brook and is open Tuesday to Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Sunday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is free. For more information, please call 631-751-7707.

Amid picturesque weather, a convoy of fire trucks, tractors, music and dance groups and assorted vehicles marched through the streets of Port Jefferson for this year’s annual Fourth of July parade. 

Hosted by the local fire department, the procession included a large collection of first responders. Joining PJFD were fire departments and ambulance corps representing Terryville, Setauket, Mount Sinai and Centereach, among many others. 

Also in attendance were dance groups that twirled and danced between fire units. In a strong display of patriotism, various community groups, volunteer organizations and hospital employees made appearances as well.

Hundreds of spectators lined the village blocks to watch the spectacle as it unfolded during the late morning. The parade lasted nearly two hours in its entirety.

— Photos by Raymond Janis 

'Untitled' by the Night Heron Artists

By Tara Mae

When people think of watercolors, Claude Monet’s technique is perhaps a person’s primary reference. But watercolor collective Night Heron Artists presents evidence that it is time to expand one’s mental palette with its latest exhibit, Let the Sun Shine, which explores the versatility of the form. The show will be on view on the second floor of the Port Jefferson Village Center through Aug. 24. 

“In my opinion watercolor is very different today than what it was; there are pieces today that are not watery, but more specific and defined,” said Night Heron Treasurer Ellen Ferrigno.

‘Poppy’ by Ellen Ferrigno

Featuring approximately 110 works of art by nearly three dozen artists, the exhibit also includes acrylic, gouache, pastel, and multi-media pieces in addition to the many watercolors. 

“Most artists explore other mediums and it enhances the show, having some pieces that stray from watercolor,” said Night Heron artist Gail Chase. 

Participants submitted on average three pieces to the show and many of them contributed to a collaborative watercolor, a focal point of Let the Sun Shine. The as-of-yet untitled work, a 20”x22” painting of sunflowers, was inspired by the war in Ukraine.

“With a war raging in Ukraine that is threatening its sovereignty, we felt that an awareness of the people’s courage and perseverance in their battle to remain free would best be illustrated through their flower, the sunflower,” said Ferrigno. 

The painting is encompassed by several individual sunflower renderings. This arrangement greets visitors as they come up the stairs to the 2nd floor of the Village Center, where the exhibit is displayed. 

While the artists frequently present one collaborative work in their exhibits —they once made a puzzle for the Port Jefferson Village Center and last year they painted birds on individual canvases that were then placed on a driftwood tree — this is on a different scale. 

“This project was much more involved and a bigger piece as well,” Chase said. Working on it three people at a time, the Night Herons completed the endeavor in about one month, a passion project for the group. 

‘Gaizing Ball’ by Leslie Hand

“People really spent time on this and you can see that; they didn’t just slap paint on the paper. The majority of our members contributed to it,” Ferrigno said.   

Such attention to detail and collaboration are tenets the Night Herons have observed since founder Adelaide Silkworth first invited an assortment of artistically minded people to paint at her house on Night Heron Drive in Stony Brook some 30 years ago. 

When she moved out of state, the Night Herons, having realized that they did not want to stop meeting despite the loss of their mentor, found a new home at the Port Jefferson Village Center. 

An egalitarian group, there are no regular instructors, rather participants share their expertise and knowledge with their compatriots, enabling people to organically improve their skills.  

“We occasionally invite a guest presenter to teach different techniques: landscapes, for example, but generally we assist each other,” Night Heron Mary-Jo Re said. “There are really so many excellent artists and you learn so much.” 

General administrative tasks, such as coordinating visiting artists, updating procedures, and finalizing bylaws, are handled by two co-leaders, the secretary, and treasurer. The Night Heron Artists meet every Thursday on the third floor of the Village Center, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

“The lighting on the third floor, overlooking harbor, is the best for painting,” Re said. Ferrigno added that it is “a most inspiring view for artists.” 

‘New Beiggnings’ by Gail Chase

There are currently 30 dues-paying members and 3 guests who pay on a per diem basis. Membership is $7.50 a week, paid in 10 week increments. Guests pay $10 per class. “We have artists of all levels, people who are just beginning, people midway though their art journey, and people who are very accomplished,” Chase said.

Having recently moved to a larger room on the third floor, each person now has his or her own table at which to work. The collective, currently seeking new members, prides itself on being a welcoming, inclusive haven for art enthusiasts.

“What I love about the group is how generous everyone is with their expertise: sharing paints, discussing technique, brainstorming ideas for paintings, and critiquing each other’s work,” co-leader Leslie Hand said. “My own work has grown in leaps and bounds due to this group. My mother was a watercolorist and I think she would be proud of how far I have come.” 

Indeed, creative fulfillment and personal connections are perhaps the most profound legacy of the Night Heron Artists and Let the Sun Shine. 

“This whole experience of being a Night Heron is one of the joys and blessings of my life,” Chase said. 

The community is invited to an art reception on Friday, July 8, from 5 to 7 p.m. Open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., the Port Jefferson Village Center is located at 101 E Broadway, Port Jefferson. For more information, cal 631-473-4778 or visit www.portjeff.com/gallery.

METRO photo

The Town of Brookhaven will offer a Sunset Yoga class at Cedar Beach, 244 Harbor Beach Road, Mt. Sinai on Thursdays July 14, 21, 28 from 7 to 8 p.m. and Aug. 4, 11 and 25 from 6 to 7 p.m. This class offers a balanced approach to yoga consisting of physical postures, breathing exercises and relaxation to help restore physical, emotional and mental health and well-being. Wear comfortable clothing and bring a mat, blanket or pillow to sit on. $35 per 6-week session. Pre-register by Tuesday, July 12. Call 631-451-6112 for more information or to register.

Catch a free screening of 'Encanto' in Port Jefferson or St. James this week.
PROGRAMS

Summer Drop-In Workshop

The Heckscher Museum in Huntington will offer Summer Drop-In workshops all summer. Photo from Heckscher Museum

Join the Heckscher Museum of Art, 2 Prime Ave., Huntington for a Summer Drop-In Workshop every Thursday through Aug. 18 including July 7 and 14 from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Create fun works of art in a variety of materials inspired by artwork in the Museum’s Collection and exhibitions. Each week’s project will be exciting and different. Programs will be held both in the Museum and in Heckscher Park. Fee is $10 per child, adults free, payable at the door. (Fee includes all art supplies and general admission to the museum.) Call 380-3230 for more information.

Pop-Up Saturday

The Ward Melville Heritage Organization kicks off its Pop-Up Saturdays at the Stony Brook Village Center’s Inner Court, 97 Main Street, Stony Brook Village on July 9 with a magic show by Magic of Amore from 2 to 3 p.m. Fast-paced & original, this one-of-a-kind performance combines magic, illusion, comedy, and music with lots of audience participation. Rain date is the following day. Free. Call 751-2244 for further details.

Family Concert

Darlene Graham & The Shades of Green Band will present a free family concert at the Huntington Summer Arts Festival at Heckscher Park’s Chapin Rainbow Stage, 2 Prime Ave., Huntington on July 12 at 7 p.m. filled with play time, dancing, bubbles, freeze dance, snuggle time, and songs geared toward family time and imagination. Bring seating. Visit www.huntingtonarts.org.

Stars & Stripes Crafts

In perfect timing with the Fourth of July, the Whaling Museum, 301 Main St., Cold Spring Harbor offers Stars & Strips crafts Tuesdays to Sundays from 1 to 4 p.m. through July 10. Explore the museum’s exhibits and then help yourself to red, white, and blue crafts in the workshop. ​Free with admission fee of $6 adults, $5 kids/seniors. Call 367-3418.

Magic of Amore

Sunken Meadow State Park, Sunken Meadow Parkway, Kings Park presents the Magic of Amore on July 10 at 2 p.m. Part of Long Island State Parks Summer Entertainment, this magic show will amaze and astound no matter your age! Colorful handkerchiefs turn to magic canes and objects materialize out of thin air. BYO chairs or blanket. $10 vehicle use fee. Call 269-4333.

Nature T’s 

Sunken Meadow State Park, Sunken Meadow Parkway, Kings Park presents a Tiny Tots program, Nature T’s, on July 14 from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Children ages 3 to 5 and their parents will connect with nature through short walks, animal visitors, and crafts. Bring your own t-shirt for a nature craft. $4 per child. To register visit Eventbrite.com and search #NatureEdventure.

Toothy Tuesdays

Drop by the Whaling Museum, 301 Main St., Cold Spring Harbor on Tuesdays in July for Toothy Tuesday, a shark tooth excavation workshop, from 2 to 4 p.m. Design and create a necklace or keychain featuring your fossil treasure. Admission + $10 participant. Call 367-3418 for more information.

Movies

‘Encanto’

The Village of Port Jefferson kicks off its Movies on the Harbor series with a screening of Disney’s Encanto at Harborfront Park, 101-A East Broadway, Port Jefferson on Tuesday, July 12 at dusk. Bring seating. Rain date is the next evening. Free. For more information, visit www.portjeff.com or call 631-473-4724.

‘Spider-Man’

The Town of Huntington presents a free drive-in movie screening of Spider-Man at Crab Meadow Beach, Waterview Street W., Fort Salonga on Wednesday, July 13 starting at 8:30 p.m. For more information, call 631-351-3089 or visit www.huntingtonny.gov

‘Encanto’

St. James Chamber of Commerce invites the community to Deepwells Farm County Park, 497 Route 25A, St. James for a screening of Disney’s Encanto on the great lawn  on Thursday, July 14 at dusk. Come early at 7 p.m. for fun and and games. Bring seating.  Rain date is July 21. Call 631-584-8510 for further details.

Theater

Disney’s ‘The Little Mermaid’

The Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts, 2 E. Main St., Smithtown presents Disney’s The Little Mermaid from July 2 to July 24. Based on one of Hans Christian Andersen’s most beloved stories and the classic animated film, Disney’s The Little Mermaid is a hauntingly beautiful love story for the ages. Ariel, King Triton’s youngest daughter, wishes to pursue the human Prince Eric in the world above, bargaining with the evil sea witch, Ursula, to trade her tail for legs. But the bargain is not what it seems, and Ariel needs the help of her colorful friends, Flounder the fish, Scuttle the seagull and Sebastian the crab to restore order under the sea. All seats are $25. To order, visit www.smithtownpac.org.

‘Puss-In-Boots’

Join Theatre Three, 412 Main St., Port Jefferson for a hilarious musical re-telling of Puss-In-Boots, the tale of a boy and his ingenious feline, from July 8 to July 30 with a special sensory sensitive performance on July 10. When Christopher inherits his father’s clever cat, he sets out on an adventure that takes him to the palace of King Vexmus and beyond and learns that faith comes from within. $10 per person. To order, call 928-9100 or visit www.theatrethree.com.

‘Elephant & Piggie’s ‘We’re in a Play!’

The Smithtown Center for the Performing Art presents Mo Willems’ Elephant & Piggie’s ‘We’re in Play! outdoors on the grounds of the Smithtown Historical Society. 239 E. Main St., Smithtown from July 9 to July 29. An elephant named Gerald and a pig named Piggie are best, best, “bestus” friends, but Gerald worries that something could go wrong that would end their friendship. Piggie is not worried at all. She’s even happier and more excited than usual. That’s because she and Gerald are invited to a party hosted by the Squirrelles, three singing squirrels who love to have a good time. And so begins a day when anything is possible. Tickets are $18 per person. To order, visit www.smithtownpac.org.

‘Junie B. Jones The Musical’

Children’s theater continues at the John W. Engeman Theater, 250 Main St., Northport with Junie B. Jones The Musical from July 23 to Aug. 28. Sneak a peek into the “Top-Secret Personal Beeswax Journal” of the outspoken and lovable Junie B. Jones! Based on the top selling children’s book series, this upbeat musical follows the spunky Junie as she navigates through the ups and downs of her first day of 1st grade. All seats are $20. To order, call 261-2900 or visit www.engemantheater.com.

King James. Photo from Smithtown Animal Shelter

MEET KING JAMES!

This week’s featured shelter pet is King James, a handsome rooster who was found as a stray and never claimed. He is now up for adoption at the Smithtown Animal Shelter.

James is a stunning big boy who adores treats. He will follow at a distance and cluck away, begging for his favorite goodies.  James is  quite vocal when he is happy and comfortable.  He seems to be very social with other animals and has a curious and independent spirit. 

James is a decent flyer for a chicken and will need an enclosed coop as that curiosity does get the better of him. He is a good boy, but the shelter does not have the facilities to keep him safe and happy long term. Their wish is to see him in a home with some girls to keep him company and a family that appreciates how sweet he can be.

The Smithtown Animal & Adoption Shelter is located at 410 Middle Country Road, Smithtown. Visitor hours are currently Monday to Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Sundays and Wednesday evenings by appointment only). For more information, call 631-360-7575 or visit www.townofsmithtownanimalshelter.com.