Community

Pictured above, state Assemblyman Steve Englebright (D-Setauket), left, and Edward Flood. File photos by Raymond Janis

A week has passed since Election Day, and the race for New York State Assembly District 4 has yet to be called. However, the Republican Party challenger Edward Flood, of Port Jefferson, appears to be on the brink of an upset.

As of press time, Flood maintains a 51-49% margin over incumbent state Assemblyman Steve Englebright (D-Setauket). With remaining votes outstanding and the outcome still undetermined, Englebright — who is current chair of the Assembly’s important Standing Committee on Environmental Conservation — declined to comment for this story.

In a phone interview on Tuesday evening, Flood gave an update on the remaining ballots. As of press time, Flood held a 973-vote lead with tallies of 23,707-22,734, according to the Suffolk County Board of Elections. Flood said roughly 1,100 absentee and affidavit ballots remain uncounted. 

“I’ve been told it’s mathematically improbable but not impossible for me to lose,” he said. “It’s unofficial, but it’s looking like I have this.”

Even so, Flood has yet to declare victory in the race. He said he would prefer to let the process play out. “I haven’t formally said I won, but I’m hoping that as of tomorrow, we have some more definitive answers,” the Republican candidate said.

Initial reports of Flood’s prospective victory surprised many within the community. Englebright has held that seat since 1992, and before entering the state Assembly, had represented the area in the Suffolk County Legislature starting in 1983. Flood said he was not necessarily surprised by the outcome.

“For my campaign team, this wasn’t a shock,” he said. “We did some polling and we knew we were right there.” He added, “I understand why people outside my camp would call it a shock. Steve’s been there for a really long time … so I don’t discount the magnitude of what happened, but it wasn’t a shock to my team.”

If Flood is declared the victor in the coming days, he said he would like to begin the transition, starting with a discussion with his election opponent.

“I would like to have a conversation with Steve, if he would be willing to — and I think he’s a standup guy and I think he would — to kind of let me know what specific constituent problems they have,” Flood said. “We’ve reached out to a lot of the civics, and I’d like to sit with them and get some ideas … and just get a feel of what each community is looking for from me.”

He also said he plans to coordinate with the law enforcement community to understand the challenges experienced on the ground. He expressed his intent to “speak with law enforcement and get the best plan for how to address some of the issues with criminal justice reform that I think are just not working right now.”

To his possible constituency, Flood offered to maintain an open-door policy. He emphasized community outreach and maintaining close contact with community members.

“My job is to represent the people in the district, whether they voted for me or didn’t vote for me,” he said. “I’m not saying I don’t have some ideas, but I want this to be clear that I’m going to represent them and the interests of our community up in Albany.”

To follow the election results as the final ballots are counted, visit the website www.elections.ny.gov under “Suffolk County Election Night Results,” then scroll down to “New York Assembly AD#4.”

If the loss of Englebright’s seat is confirmed, TBR News Media plans to conduct an exit interview marking the end of his term.

Back by popular demand, second year promises to be bigger and brighter with new features

Shimmering Solstice at Old Westbury Gardens, 71 Old Westbury Road, Old Westbury, presented by Catholic Health, returns for its second year on  Friday, November 25. Back by popular demand, this holiday themed light show offers visitors the opportunity to behold a series of magical light displays as they walk along the beautiful meandering paths through Old Westbury Gardens’ Walled Garden, Rose Garden, South Lawn, and Allée.

“This walkthrough light show is uniquely designed specifically for Old Westbury Gardens, a beautiful long
island landmark” said Nancy Costopulos, President and CEO of Old Westbury Gardens. “It offers a one-
of-a-kind experience which is now becoming a new holiday tradition.”

This year, even more beautiful visuals have been added including a re-designed interactive area
featuring three new exhibits that will engage adults and children alike; seasonal music throughout the
expanded illuminated event path, a new illuminated water feature on the West Pond, and the Garden of Appreciation will be turned into a lively warming area with a concession stand for seasonal snacks and
drinks.

Shimmering Solstice is a completely custom-built show by Lightswitch, a collective of internationally
recognized lighting, media, and visual designers that has been uniquely designed to highlight the
features of Old Westbury Gardens. The goal was to turn the gardens into a visitor location that can be
enjoyed during the fall and winter holiday season and that would remain consistent with the mission of
Old Westbury Gardens.

“Shimmering Solstice was designed to be a celebration of our space,” said Maura Brush, Director of
Horticulture at Old Westbury Gardens. “The features that define Old Westbury Gardens such as the
formal allées, ponds, and statuary are all illuminated so visitors can view them in a completely different
light.”

This walk-through show is a family friendly experience people of all ages can enjoy and is designed for
visitors to explore at their own pace. For the exciting finale, visitors will once again be dazzled to see the
south facade of Westbury House come alive with magical lights and seasonal sounds—this year with an
exciting twist!

Tickets are on sale now. The show runs on select dates from November 25, 2022 and runs through
January 1, 2023. The admission time starts at 5:30 p.m. Check website for available dates and times.
For more information and to see a video preview of the event, visit https://shimmeringsolstice.com/.

About Old Westbury Gardens:
Built in 1906 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Old Westbury Gardens is the former
home of John S. Phipps, his wife, Margarita Grace Phipps, and their children. Today, as a not-for-profit
organization, Old Westbury Gardens welcomes visitors of all ages for a wide range of historical, cultural,
artistic, educational, horticultural events. Old Westbury Gardens seeks to inspire appreciation of the
early 20 th  century American country estate through faithful preservation and interpretation of its
landscape, gardens, architecture and collections. For more information,
visit  https://www.oldwestburygardens.org/

by -
0 208

Right before the St. James Veterans Day Parade began on Nov. 11, the rain began. However, veterans, Scouts, fire department volunteers and school marching bands weren’t going to let that stop them from heading down Lake Avenue.

The marchers started at Woodlawn Avenue and continued down Lake until St. James Elementary School. 

by -
0 187

Despite weather forecasters calling for rain, Setauket residents showed up for veterans on Friday, Nov. 11. 

In an abbreviated ceremony to avoid the pending bad weather, Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3054 hosted its annual recognition service at the Setauket Veterans Memorial Park at the corner of Shore Road and Route 25A in East Setauket.

Scouts and veterans laid wreaths at the memorial that recognizes the various wars American soldiers have fought in. 

By Heidi Sutton

Welcome to the 11th edition of Paw Prints, a monthly column for animal lovers dedicated to helping shelter pets find their furever home! 

Boo

Meet Boo

Look who’s waiting for you at the Smithtown Animal Shelter! This stunning and giant boy is as beautiful on the inside as he is on the outside. Boo loves to get attention and pets. He can be a little dominant with other cats, so he would likely do best as the only pet in the home or with very quiet/low key pets. He is a very large cat, not full Main Coon, but it is in the genetic mix somewhere. Call 631-360-7575 to set up a meet and greet.

Meet Selma & Patricia

Looking for a home together, meet ten-year-old Shih-tzu mixes Selma and Patricia at Little Shelter in Huntington. Like two peas in a pod, this petite pair fit perfectly together, complementing each other’s personalities. Always on the same page, they wholeheartedly agree that they deserve to be the center of attention in most situations, graciously accepting your adoration! “Sisters” at heart, they prefer to do everything in sync, from stirring up some “good” trouble to sharing a cozy spot during nap time. Stop by Little Shelter today and increase your chance at happiness when you double down with Selma and Patricia. Call 631-368-8770.

Meet Milo

At 79 pounds, this hunk is a happy, outgoing and playful guy who is looking for a love connection. Picked up as a stray by a Good Samaritan, he is now at the Brookhaven Animal Shelter  hoping to find a new family to call his own very soon. Estimated to be 5 to 8 years young, Milo walks well on leash, is sweet and bouncy, loves attention and would make a great companion and best friend. He has the sweetest eyes and will melt your heart. He will do best in a home with no cats and with kids over the age of 14. Call 631-451-6950.

Meet Tori

Tori is seeking a new foster or forever home! Available through Kent Animal Shelter in Calverton, Tori is a wonderfully sweet and affectionate dog who is just not built for the shelter life. A two and a half year old lab mix, she was originally rescued from a high kill shelter in Texas, and just when she thought she was out of the woods in a forever home she was attacked by another dog. We can’t blame her for not being happy in a shelter after all of the trouble she has been through in her short life so far.  She is currently so happy in her foster home, however it’s not the perfect forever fit and both her foster mom and Kent agree she deserves the best of the best. Tori is looking for a home with no cats (this playful pup likes to chase), moderate activity (too many new people coming and going can be scary), and lots of love to give. For more information, call 631-727-5731, Ext. 1.

Meet Diamond

A Diamond is associated with strength, love and invincibility, a befitting description for this fourteen-year-old Terrier mix, currently up for adoption at Little Shelter in Huntington. Though blind due to mature cataracts, he nevertheless sees the world with flawless clarity, recognizing and basking in the love that surrounds him. Adept at navigating on three legs, he is a testament to not letting anything get in the way of enjoying a full, satisfying life, emphasizing the importance of counting your blessings. With a happy, outgoing demeanor, this Silver Paw Connection senior knows the value of remaining young at heart, knowing that a positive attitude makes all the difference. Warm, affectionate and the perfect carat weight, this true gem is just waiting to be discovered. Remember that a Diamond is forever. Call 631-368-8770.

Check out the next Paw Prints in the issue of Dec. 8.

Paw Prints is generously sponsored by Mark T. Freeley, Esq.

The Jazz Loft

The following are events scheduled at The Jazz Loft for December 2022:

Thurs. 12/1, Friday, 12/2 and Saturday 12/3:    Duke Ellington’s Nutcracker at 7 p.m.                              For three evenings the 17 member Jazz Loft Big Band will present Duke Ellington’s Jazz Nutcracker. Vocalist Danny Bacher accompanies the band. Tickets: $35 adults, $30 seniors, $25 students, $20 children, children 5 and under free

Monday 12/5  Marty Isenberg, bassist , performs a recital for his Doctor of Music Degree from Stony Brook University at 7 p.m. Tickets: $10 Adults, $5 Seniors ,Children and Students, Free for Stony Brook Students, Staff and Faculty with ID.

Wed. 12/7: Young at Heart: It’s The Holiday Season at 1 p.m. The Jazz Loft Trio performs music of the season. Young at Heart is a monthly jazz themed concert series for those that like their jazz in the afternoon. Tickets: $10

Wed. 12/7:  Jazz Loft Trio and Jam at 7 p.m. The Jazz Loft Trio performs at 7 p.m. followed a jam at 8 p.m. Tickets: $10 at 7 p.m., $5 at 8 p.m.

Thurs. 12/8:  Jazz Dispatch at Madiran Wine Bar in Setauket at 7 p.m.  Jazz Loft regulars, Tom Manuel, trumpet and Steve Salerno, guitar, take their performance to Madiran Wine Bar.

Thurs. 12/8: Bad Little Big Band Holiday Show  at 7 p.m. Pianist Rich Iacona leads his 12 member band in performing music of the season. Tickets: $35 adults, $30 seniors, $25 students, $20 children, children 5 and under free

Fri. 12/9: Ray Anderson’s Seasonal Solstice Party at 7 p.m. Trombonist Ray Anderson brings on the holiday spirit with Tommy Campbell on drums and Mark Helias on bass. Tickets: $35 adults, $30 seniors, $25 students, $20 children, children 5 and under free

Sat. 12/10: Interplay Jazz Orchestra Family Show at 1 p.m. The 17 member jazz big band co led by Joe Devassy, trombone and Gary Henderson trumpet perform their annual family holiday concert. Tickets:$ 35 adults, $30 seniors, $25 students, $20 children, children under 5 free

Sat. 12/10:  Tom Manuel’s Eggnog Romp at 7 p.m. Trumpeter and Jazz Loft founder, Tom Manuel performs seasonal music with his quintet. Tickets: $35 adults, $30 seniors, $25 students, $20 children, children 5 and under free

Mon. 12/12: Stony Brook University Jazz Combos Concert at 7 p.m. Combos of graduate music students perform under the direction of trombonist Ray Anderson and trumpeter Tom Manuel. Tickets: $10 adults, $5 seniors & students, Free for SBU faculty,staff & students with ID

Tuesday 12/13 Moshe Elmakias, pianist, performs a recital for his Doctor of Music Degree from Stony Brook University at 7 p.m. Tickets: $10 Adults, $5 Seniors ,Children and Students, Free for Stony Brook Students, Staff and Faculty with ID.

Wed. 12/14:  Jazz Loft Trio and Jam at 7 p.m.  The Jazz Loft Trio performs at 7 PM followed by a jam at 8 p.m. Tickets: $10 at 7 PM, $5 at 8 PM

Thurs. 12/15, Friday, 12/16, Saturday, 12/17: Duke Ellington’s Nutcracker at 7 p.m.  For three nights the 17 member Jazz Loft Big Band will perform Duke Ellington’s jazz Nutcracker. Trumpeter Tom Manuel directs and narrates and vocalist Danny Bacher accompanies the band. Tickets: $35 adults, $30 seniors, $25 students, $20 children, children 5 and under free

Sun. 12/18:  Jazz Nativity  at 6 p.m. The candlelight jazz nativity featuring the Biblical Christmas story is performed by a jazz sextet. Tickets: $35 adults, $30 seniors, $25 students, $20 children, children 5 and under free

Wed. 12/21: Jazz Loft Trio and Jam at 7 p.m. The Jazz Loft Trio performs at 7 p.m. followed by a jam at 8 p.m. Tickets: $10 at 7 p.m., $5 at 8 p.m.

Thurs. 12/22:  Nicole Zuraitis Jazz Christmas Party at 7 p.m. Grammy nominated vocalist, pianist and composer, Nicole Zuraitis, appears backed by a big band ensemble to present holiday favorites. Tickets: $35 adults, $30 seniors, $25 students, $20 children, children 5 and under free

The Jazz Loft is located at 275 Christian Ave in Stony Brook Village. Tickets are available at www.thejazzloft.org and if available, in person prior to events. For more information, call 631-751-1895.

Photo from WMHO

On Dec. 4, participants of the Ward Melville Heritage Organization’s Holiday Tree Competition will bring holiday cheer to Stony Brook Village and decorate 45 premium balsam trees that will line the open-air center’s walkways at the 43rd annual Holiday Festival. 

One tree will be selected by votes from the public between Dec. 4 and Dec. 2t to win a $150 gift certificate to Stony Brook Village and its establishments. Registration for this event is required as there are only 45 trees available.

Registration forms may be picked up at any of the shops in Stony Brook Village, or you can download it digitally from the events section of the Stony Brook Village Center website. To enter this competition, please return the completed registration form, with entry fee to the Ward Melville Heritage Organization, P.O. Box 572, Stony Brook, NY 11790. The registration form along with an entry fee of $47 is due by Nov. 23. 

The decorated trees will remain in the village for viewing until Jan. 3. Questions? Call 631-751-2244.

Darren and Sal St. George

By Tara Mae

Seasons greetings from St. George Living History Productions in conjunction with the Leo P. Ostebo Kings Park Heritage Museum! On Saturday, Nov. 19, at 11 a.m., St. George Living History Productions will present the Holly Jolly Holiday Party, at RJO Intermediate School, 99 Old Dock Road Kings Park which houses the museum. 

The two hour extravaganza, featuring a lecture, Q&A session, and luncheon, is St. George Living History Productions’ first in-person event in more than two years. It is a multifaceted celebration of holiday television specials of the past and the festive spirit of the present.  

“This is not just a lecture, it is a holiday party. There will be some games, dancing, and fun. The playlist will consist of classic holiday favorites,” said Sal St. George, co-founder of St. George Living History Productions. “People are going to have a wonderful time and it will bring back so many nostalgic memories.”

Unforgettable musical interludes include clips featuring timeless stars such as Julie Andrews, Lucille Ball, Ella Fitzgerald, Danny Kaye, Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis, Bing Crosby, and David Bowie. Classic holiday films will also be represented with scenes from “It’s a Wonderful Life” and “White Christmas.” 

Even the lunch menu embraces the theme of holiday nostalgia, featuring recipes from The Frank Sinatra Celebrity Cookbook. “All of the food we serve are celebrities’ favorites,” said Darren St. George, creative director of St. George Living History Productions. 

Bringing history to life and honoring the past as it informs the present and inspires the future are tenets of Sal and Darren personally and St. George Productions professionally. 

The production company is a family affair. Founded over 30 years ago by Sal and his wife Mary, Darren joined his parents in the business at a young age. Now Darren’s wife Cassandra also works for the company. This mini-community formed from strong interpersonal connections is a key force behind-the-scenes, and Sal wants others to be able to create such bonds through the links of shared interests and communal warmth.  

During the start of COVID lockdown, Darren developed a plan to offer Sal’s entertainment lectures via Zoom. This then expanded into virtually touring celebrity and cinema history museums, with proceeds going to benefit those organizations. Sal still does a weekly Zoom lecture on Mondays. 

Envisioned by Sal years ago as a community building event that celebrated the merriment of televised holiday concerts and variety shows, the Holly Jolly Holiday Party strives to invoke the comfort of these viewing experiences while encouraging attendees to celebrate the company of each other. And, as with any St. George production, the underlying theme is entertainment that is both educational and ebullient.  

“This is something I have wanted to do for a long time,” Sal said. “People are going to have a wonderful time and it will bring back so many nostalgic memories. We want people to walk out of there with smiles on their faces.”

That goal is shared by Dr. Timothy Egan, superintendent of the Kings Park School District, which includes RJO Intermediate School. Sal and his wife Mary, the other co-founder of St. George Productions, originally reached out to him about a potential collaboration prior the pandemic. 

“I am looking forward to history being brought to life. I am also looking forward to hosting history-related events at RJO Intermediate School once again. The building (1928) was the original K-12 site of the Kings Park Central School District,” Egan said. 

“There are quite a few people that are by themselves and we welcome them to come and be party of the family — they should not feel funny coming by themselves…People have had such a hard time the past few years, and we want to help them put that behind them,” Sal said. 

$1 of each ticket sale goes directly to the Leo P. Ostebo Kings Park Heritage Museum, which was created in 1994 and officially established by the Kings Park Central School District’s Board of Education to preserve the history of the hamlet of Kings Park.

For individuals who prefer to virtually attend the party, it will be broadcast via Zoom. Tickets may be purchased online at www.stgeorgelivinghistory.com.

By Irene Ruddock

Gail Laines Chase is a Stony Brook resident who has delighted followers of her paintings for years. She graduated Wilkes College where she received her teaching degree and was able to take art classes which she enjoyed. 

Chosen by the Setauket Artists to be the Honored Artist at the 42nd Setauket Artists Exhibition for 2022, Chase exhibits her work in Gallery North, Mills Pond Gallery, Long Island Museum and the Port Jefferson Village Center. Chase is often seen painting in plein air, a method she feels helps capture the mood of the scene. Her versatility is evident in the mediums she pursues: watercolor, oil and pastel. 

Artist Gail Chase
Artist statement:
My goal is to communicate to the viewer the joy I feel in painting.

You were originally known as a water colorist. Why do you like that medium? 

I love the spontaneity of watercolor. There is something about the feel of the brush gliding across the paper that intrigues me. Painting in watercolor is like taking a mini vacation. Should the muse happen to call and the painting works, that is truly serendipitous! I become lost in its magic; the light, shape, line, but most of all the color. I love color in clothing, the decoration of my home, but most of all in painting. 

What do you like about working with  pastels and oils?

In pastel and oil, again it is the color that I’m drawn to. I love the intensity of the colors because an artist can get the deep saturated color values immediately. Not to mention, pastels and oil is much more easily corrected than watercolor, should an “oops” occur!

What inspires you to paint?

I’m inspired by nature. I love painting at West Meadow creek which I call my “still waters” place. I love the morning light and the sunsets are spectacular! We are so fortunate to live on Long Island  where there are so many beautiful venues.  

Who influenced you in your art? 

I was blessed to have a grandmother who encouraged me to garden and love nature. Growing up in Pennsylvania, I loved the mountains and pine woods, but when I moved to Long Island, I added the shore and wetlands to that love.   

I’m also inspired by Renoir, Monet and Van Gogh. I was fortunate to study with fine and talented women artists who became my mentors: Harriet Christman, Adelaide Silkworth, Janet Walsh, Ruth Baderian, Katherine Hiscox, and, more recently, local pastelist Mary Jane van Zeijts. 

As a teacher, did you bring art into the classroom? 

Yes, I enjoyed influencing the children by incorporating art into the curriculum. I enjoyed watching the children blossom, nurturing their creativity and senses. When I think of my years in the classroom, a line from Sara Teasdale’s poem Barter comes to mind “… And little children looking up, Holding wonder like a cup.”

Do you have a network of artists?

I am blessed to have a network of artist friends. We lift up each other’s efforts with positive criticism and support. Best of all, we have become good friends who are there for each other in times of sunshine and shade. 

Tell us about your greeting card collection. 

My watercolor and pastel images have been reproduced as a collection of greeting cards. It began by just sending these cards to friends to which I added poetry. After a time, it has morphed into a business. The cards may be purchased from my website (glcimpressions.com) or in my home studio by appointment.  

Why do you think art is important to society? 

Art is important to society because it speaks to humanity’s better angels. All of the arts are important because they move us to a higher plane of thinking and feeling.

How does art help you in other areas of your life? 

Art brings me joy and gratitude for the beauty of nature. It helps relieve the stress of everyday busyness. It helps me to really look, see and appreciate the gift of a beautiful world. 

Graphic from the Port Jefferson Village website

The Port Jefferson Village Board of Trustees convened at Village Hall Monday, Nov. 7, for an evening packed with pressing public business. 

East Beach bluff

Mayor Margot Garant reported developments from the East Beach bluff construction site, stating buildout of the lower toe wall “has been moving along very nicely.”

“The steel wall is in, the concrete cap is about 100% in, there’s a lot of concrete rebar in there, and now they’re putting in the anchors through the wall and pinning the wall into the cliffside,” she said.

At the upland, the village must soon decide the fate of the clubhouse at Port Jefferson Country Club. The mayor said she has been gathering information from the village’s hired engineers and will provide the board with their findings later this month.

During the public comments, village resident Myrna Gordon inquired about Garant’s recent announcement regarding forthcoming informational meetings on the upland proposals. [See “A message from Mayor Margot Garant: A candid discussion about East Beach bluff,” The Port Times Record, Nov. 3.]

Responding to Gordon, the mayor said more information would be made available following the meeting later this month. 

“I’m still getting information from the engineers, looking at some of the drainage plans and alternative solutions for the upland project,” she said. “We put the [upper] wall out to bid. The engineer just got back to us with an analysis of the bid, so it’s coming together for the board to review with me.” 

She added, “Then, we’ll be setting a date and either making a presentation at the next board meeting or a special town hall, depending on which way the board thinks we need to go.”

Public safety

Representing the Suffolk County Police Department was police officer Sergio Möller. He stressed the need for drivers to lock their cars and take their keys with them when exiting their vehicles. 

“Fifty percent of the cars that get stolen within the 6th Precinct are vehicles that were already running with their keys in it, and that’s a problem,” he said. “Please take your keys with you. Shut the vehicle off. It [takes] only two seconds.”

Code enforcement chief Fred Leute underscored reasons for driving slowly on village roads. “It’s getting dark earlier now,” he said. “We have club and student athletes leaving the school late. It’s already dark, so just drive slow.”

Multiple residents pressed the board on pedestrian safety and walkability. Ana Hozyainova, who ran for trustee earlier this year, asked whether the board is considering a villagewide assessment to promote walkability, bikeability and pedestrian safety.

Responding on behalf of the board, trustee Rebecca Kassay reported she, Deputy Mayor Kathianne Snaden and village staff are exploring the possibility of conducting a study.

“We were pointed toward firms who would do a study, a villagewide study to look at what are the big issues in the village, and how in our particular village can we achieve the goals we want to, both with speed reduction and pedestrian safety,” Kassay said.

Snaden added there might be grant opportunities to subsidize the cost of the study. “It’s expensive, so we have to figure out a way to pay for it,” she said.

Information technology

Kevin Wood, the village’s parking administrator, director of economic development and communications committee head, delivered a presentation on the importance of securing the village’s information technology systems.

Wood’s report comes in the wake of a recent cyberattack against the Suffolk County government. He said municipalities are susceptible to ransomware and other hostile online events due to underfunding, understaffing and outdated systems. 

Based on meetings with Island Tech Services, the village’s network partner based out of Ronkonkoma, Wood said he is working to curtail these concerns.

“I live this every day,” Wood said. “I try to be ahead of the curve on this, of what our vulnerabilities are. I have met with ITS in person, and we think we’re on top of it in a lot of different ways.” 

He added, “If you look at my past reports, you’ll see why we’re ahead of the curve, but we still have to go forward and think about all of the ways we may be vulnerable.”

The village began enforcing two-factor authentication earlier this month, requiring village employees to pass through a second layer of verification to log into government accounts.

“You cannot sign onto your email with Google without having a way of authenticating [your identity], either through an authenticating app or through your cellphone,” Wood said. “It’s a little bit of a [pain], but we have to get through this because there’s been an indication that that’s how [hackers] are getting in.”

Wood also advocated the village upgrade to Municity 5, a multiplatform, cloud-computing municipal software program. He said this upgrade could make the Building Department “much more efficient and amazing.”

“Because of understaffing and other items, we have not gotten this done,” he said. “I just wanted to report that we have got to get this done.”

Wood further addressed how new technologies will affect parking. Namely, an automated license plate recognition system is already used to enforce parking limits on Main and East Main. This system, Wood said, is gradually supplanting the previous parking enforcement method.

Wood concluded his presentation by noting a villagewide software audit is ongoing to assess other vulnerabilities in the village’s various tech spheres.

Tax code

The night also included a public hearing to amend a section of the tax code. Explaining the measure, village attorney Brian Egan said the New York State Legislature sporadically changes its property tax exemptions for senior citizens. 

These changes, according to Egan, often do not correspond to the village’s tax schedule, creating an inconsistency between the state and the village’s tax laws. The motivation for the amendment was to automatically update the village tax code according to changes in state law.

“Instead of us missing that updated income, so a senior citizen can still qualify if that income level went up … we’re going to now set it automatically to whatever the state has,” he said.

Following the public hearing, the board approved the amendment unanimously.

Rental property code

Also on the agenda were two items to put out for public hearing amendments to the village’s rental property code. Kassay, who operates an inn, has helped inform the board of potential code changes, notably affecting Airbnb rentals.

Trustee Lauren Sheprow questioned this process. “I’m still unclear as to how — and I’m going to put out this disclaimer without malice — how a trustee can participate in creating a code and informing the board about a code that has direct impact on a business that she is vested in,” she said. 

Sheprow added, “I think there are guidelines and regs in [the New York Conference of Mayors] that say this has a perception or could be perceived as a conflict of interest.”

Responding to Sheprow’s concern, Garant suggested delineating a potential conflict of interest is complicated given how the code affects all board members in their capacity as residents.

“How I feel about this is everything we vote on impacts us because we’re all residents,” the mayor said. 

However, she expressed uncertainty regarding enforcing the code change, saying, “I think we need to figure out how we want to, as a board, grasp these issues from an enforcement perspective.”

On the ethics question, Kassay offered that she would recuse herself from any future vote related to this matter. Her intended role was to inform the board, given her professional expertise.

“We all have expertise,” she said. “I gave my expertise and perspective because there’s a lot that seems strange and weird, and it’s an odd industry. For me, whatever comes of it comes of it.” The trustee added, “If you’re looking at it, it’s creating more competition. The way it’s written, for my personal business, there’s no benefit.”

Responding, Sheprow said: “Regardless of what you are telling us right now, your involvement in this process is a conflict.”

The board agreed to table the two items pending an ethics review from the New York Conference of Mayors.

To watch the full general meeting, including trustee reports and public comments, click here.